2012 Boss 302 VS 2012 GT TOP SPEED test on the autobahn. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Good to know. Did it have any effect on your TPS sensors?
None, they shouldn't be affected.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
None, they shouldn't be affected.
I see... The statement below is why I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
Keep in mind that if you have tire pressure sensors in your wheels they aren't supposed to be safe above 155 mph. So even if you reprogram the computer [ ie. get a tune ] thus eliminating the factory top end limiter, the tire pressure sensors could fail above 155 mph resulting a pretty serious situation.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
PONY Member

Thanks for the TPMS info, I had no idea it had a safety concern at high speeds. Kind of ironic for a "safety device", but I guess everything has tradeoffs or unintended consequences. It still strikes me as kind of a bummer that the 400+ HP Mustang GT has about the same top speed as a 275 HP mid-1990s F-body, even given the aerodynamic differences.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix60 View Post
On the way to the Nurburgring along with an SRT392, and an M3.
Both cars are supposedly limited to 155mph. WTF ford?

https://youtu.be/99tKxe7KoEg

The GT indicated 151, but was showing 149 on its gps.
Boss 302 was indicating 160mph, but was showing 155-156 on it's gps.
150 MPH in the rain?!

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I see... The statement below is why I asked.
I'm calling BS on that, why would they fail at any speed ?

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
I'm calling BS on that, why would they fail at any speed ?
Believe it or not XRacer is right. I don't know what happens to them but Ford says they are not designed to exceed 155 mph.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=22811
Apprentice

Garage
Some quick math shows that at 150 mph roughly 200 lbs of force is being exerted on those sensors.
Fcentripetal=(Mass)x(Centripetal Acceleration)=(Mass in KG)x(radius in Meters)x(Angular Velocity)^2

Mass of sensor: Roughly 3 oz? (.085 Kg)
Radius of approximate location of tire sensor on 19" wheel: 9.5" or 0.241 Meters
Rpm of 255/40/19 wheel traveling 150mph is 1873
Angular Velocity = (1873 RPM x 2 x pi x 1/60)^2 = 38463 radians/sec
This comes out to 818 newtons or 183 pounds.

Anyone care to check the math? Seems like a lot of force to be exerted on such a small piece.
EDIT: Just noticed it was 155mph instead of 150. Should end up closer to the 200 lbs that I rounded up to.

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Believe it or not XRacer is right. I don't know what happens to them but Ford says they are not designed to exceed 155 mph.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=22811
I stand corrected, again.

I wonder what Ford uses on the 2013+ GT500 with a top speed of 201 mph?

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
I stand corrected, again.

I wonder what Ford uses on the 2013+ GT500 with a top speed of 201 mph?
I just did some searching on the Levittown Repair Parts site and it looks like the GT500 sensors have a different part number and $20 a piece more expensive than the GT sensors.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G. View Post
150 MPH in the rain?!
As you can tell, it had just started to rain as the camera comes up, and we slow down a few seconds later. The road doesn't magically turn to ice at the first few rain drops.

You want to see balls check out the Z28 nurburgring lap where he is cornering on what are essentially slicks in the pouring rain at 160MPH.

We would still cruise at 100-110 mph in light rain. As someone whose job it is to do risk assessments for operation including 100's of millions of dollars of equipment, I can assure you that 110mph in the rain on the autobahn is FAR safer than 70mph on any american highway on a sunny afternoon. Just based off the road build quality, the skill of German drivers, and the fact that you don't have 70-80% of the drivers surfing facebook while driving like here in the states.

Our roads are just about the worst I've seen, other than afghanistan and egypt. Even there it's not so much the build quality as the lack of bombs that puts us ahead.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G. View Post
Some quick math shows that at 150 mph roughly 200 lbs of force is being exerted on those sensors.
Fcentripetal=(Mass)x(Centripetal Acceleration)=(Mass in KG)x(radius in Meters)x(Angular Velocity)^2

Mass of sensor: Roughly 3 oz? (.085 Kg)
Radius of approximate location of tire sensor on 19" wheel: 9.5" or 0.241 Meters
Rpm of 255/40/19 wheel traveling 150mph is 1873
Angular Velocity = (1873 RPM x 2 x pi x 1/60)^2 = 38463 radians/sec
This comes out to 818 newtons or 183 pounds.

Anyone care to check the math? Seems like a lot of force to be exerted on such a small piece.
The math looks close enough. Up around that speed, I'd be concerned about the effects of bumps dynamically causing a little bending (in what I assume are valve stem sensors) that would be additive to the forces/moments calculated from pure centripetal effects. If the sensor did break, I don't know if the tire would rapidly deflate or if the broken off piece would just bounce around inside the tire.

I have driven at a wet track day at speeds up to over 110 mph in fairly heavy rain, and if your car and its tires are all in good condition and you don't let yourself get tense/nervous/twitchy it's not all that difficult. About 90 mph in the picture snipped from the GoPro video, holding back from the car ahead throwing up all the spray (got around him when he later spun at maybe 40 - 45 mph and proceeded to go a bit faster).

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page