Suspension advice - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyp View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but, I'll take that info! Everywhere I've looked the Brembo's are quite a bit more.
If you look carefully at the various brembo packages:

The $1800+ kits feature the "monobloque" calipers. they're one-piece calipers as opposed to the OEM version which are two pieces bolted together. The monobloque are lighter, and are actually a better caliper, but it's really up to you whether or not they're worth the extra scratch. If you're not tracking your car (much), the OEM version should be fine.

The ones you buy from Ford and according to the price, the ones in the FRPP kit are guaranteed to use OEM replacement parts (pads, hardware, stock brake lines).

Depending on the wheel, you can get away with 18-inch wheels. If you have 18's that scrape the outward face of the caliper, all you need is some thinnish spacers and bring the wheel out from the caliper a little. I think the American Muscle FR500s need a spacer. Your best bet is to ask around and see what other people are using.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVoigt View Post
I would love to have the budget for all that, but it's just not my time for that right now. I already have wider tires. I have 2007 SVT wheels with 255/45/18 front and 285/40/18 rear with Eagle F1s, which definitely help. Basically sounds like it would be more hastle than it's worth. I haven't put much thought into the brembo upgrade. It seems doable, but the extra costs of getting the 19" wheels and since I live in New Jersey, there's the need for snow tires too.

What about doing just sway bars? How much of a difference would make with the stock suspension? Also would it be better to do the front first or the rear?
I kinda figured that, but you can't really talk about one thing without talking about the other.

The OEM brembos do NOT require 19-inch wheels. They require 18-inch, and *maybe* a thin spacer to keep the wheel from scraping the outward face of the caliper. This of course depends on what 18-inch wheel you're running.

If you can swing $1k, Eibach sells a reasonable handling improvement kit for $979:

Eibach Mustang Sport-System-Plus 4.12535.680 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

Or, if you just want to replace your springs and shocks/struts, you could get these:

Steeda Sport Mustang Lowering Springs - Coupe 555-8215 (05-14 GT, 05-10 V6) - Free Shipping - $199
KONI Mustang STR.T Front Strut 8750 1108 (11-14 All; Excludes GT500) - Free Shipping - $326/pair
KONI STR.T Rear Mustang Shock 8250-1008 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping - $168/pair

I think I heard somewhere that Eibach makes the stuff FRPP sells. Maybe someone else can verify this?

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I like the GT500 idea. Seems to be the most cost effective. Most of what I find on eBay is just the front set. Will any year fit or does it need to be 2012 like mine? Also they look like coilovers. Would that replace both my shocks and springs?

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912

PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
I installed the Eibach Sport line system on my old '12 V6, the handling was waaaay better however the daily driver portion suffered because it beat the hell out of me on bumpy roads.

Won't use those again, it'll be Roush, Steeda or Eibach Pro's next time.

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I found some coilovers from a company called Godspeed. $650. Looks like they mostly make JDM stuff. Any first hand experiencexwith the product or company?

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
Apprentice

Garage
Before you spend lots of money on suspension mods, have you tried trail braking? You can get the front end pretty planted and rotate the car a bit just by trail braking. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of room to improve the stock suspension setup, but a few little driving techniques can really bring the handling into check on these cars.

Base 2012 - 3.5L EcoBoost V6 swap (from '14 F150), MT82
435whp 510wtq Tuned by MPT Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page