Prevent the EPA from Banning Vehicle Modification! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016 Thread Starter
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I am all for our freedoms,but as I understand it the use of off road exhaust systems on our Mustangs WITHOUT the cats is not legal,yet there are many that do that, and the smell that they produce is terrible,if those owners / manufactures were banned from producing/installing those type of products on a STREET-D/D Mustang I am all for that,but tires,air intake systems and suspension and dress up mods should be left alone,just my $02.
BTW. The stinky exhaust you're referencing is not because of the lack of catalytic converters. It's because the cars tune isn't right.

JonR2006 likes this.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
. . . as I understand it the use of off road exhaust systems on our Mustangs WITHOUT the cats is not legal,yet there are many that do that, . . . . .
So, if it is already illegal, what good could it possibly do, to make it illegal again or more?

Before we pass more laws, we should always either enforce the laws that we already have, or kill them.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member
V6 Member

This is much ado about nothing. The EPA isn't targeting people modifying their cars for racing. Reach this:

Emissions Regulation Targets Are Defeat Devices, Motorcycles, Not Racing

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergjh View Post
This is much ado about nothing. The EPA isn't targeting people modifying their cars for racing. Reach this:

Emissions Regulation Targets Are Defeat Devices, Motorcycles, Not Racing
That article doesn't have any content, and I didn't feel like chasing all the links to find something substantive.

From what I have read elsewhere: technically, they are not targeting "racing." But they are targeting formerly street-legal vehicles, that are modified for racing . . . . which is probably 95% of the cars that are used for racing. They are saying that once a car is certified to be EPA compliant, it can never be modified in a way that makes it non-EPA compliant, even if it is going to be used off road, as in for racing.

They also seek to make parts that can be used to modify an EPA compliant car to be non-compliant illegal.

So . . . .

Off road X-pipe? Illegal. Manufacturers out of business.

High flow catted x-pipe? Illegal.

Long tube headers? Illegal.

Cold air intake? Not sure, probably illegal.

Change rear gears from 3.31 to 3.73? Not sure, does that affect emissions? Yeah, kinda . . . illegal.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
That article doesn't have any content, and I didn't feel like chasing all the links to find something substantive.

From what I have read elsewhere: technically, they are not targeting "racing." But they are targeting formerly street-legal vehicles, that are modified for racing . . . . which is probably 95% of the cars that are used for racing. They are saying that once a car is certified to be EPA compliant, it can never be modified in a way that makes it non-EPA compliant, even if it is going to be used off road, as in for racing.

They also seek to make parts that can be used to modify an EPA compliant car to be non-compliant illegal.

So . . . .

Off road X-pipe? Illegal. Manufacturers out of business.

High flow catted x-pipe? Illegal.

Long tube headers? Illegal.

Cold air intake? Not sure, probably illegal.

Change rear gears from 3.31 to 3.73? Not sure, does that affect emissions? Yeah, kinda . . . illegal.
Exactly. If you change anything on the car that requires a tune, you are modifying the emissions and instantly you are breaking the law. Which means that any manufacturer that creates tunes, has to have EVERY SINGLE tune certified with EPA testing or it is illegal. It doesn't matter if the tune passes emissions or not. Even if it has great emissions, it still has to pass the EPA testing and be certified.
That means BAMA/LUND/etc would have to emissions test every single tune they make. No aftermarket company is going to have the capabilities or money to due that, and even if they did they would have to certify YOUR car at the EPA testing facility because it is not exactly like any other mustang they have already certified.

I guess the EPA just wants us to put stickers and wings on our cars because that is about the only thing you will be able to legally do to your car if this law comes into effect. Hell, wings add drag which reduces emissions, that might even be illegal.

The biggest issue I have here is that the number of people that modify there cars are probably less than 1% of the cars on the road. This entire law is just the EPA being bored. They need to go find something else to regulate that actually has an impact, because targeting the automotive enthusiast community is going to have zero impact on the environment.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page