Ford Mustang Forum banner

How do YOU deal with the naysayers & critics?

4K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Siber Express 
#1 ·
I'm kind of surprised and dismayed by the number of folks who have gone out of their way to offer less-than-favorable opinions about my Mustang. And then, there's the stupid "Hey, I just saw someone key your car" or "I wonder what would happen if I spray painted it" crap.
These are adults - people 30+ years old - spouting off this juvenile BS. I don't get it. I honestly don't.
What is it about the Mustang that causes non-Mustang people to revert to a 12 year old mentality? And how do you handle these people?

#2 ·
That's strange, people generally ogle my Mustangs and pay compliments. Jealousy perhaps?

Reactions: scott9050
#3 ·
Some people are just not that smart.......just ignore them. Most people who have something negative about a Mustang drive a 100HP car, they just fail to see the point what a Mustang is about.

#5 ·
Wow, where do you live? Hmmmm, Fargo . . . . I guess that might explain it.

I don't get that at all, I guess I should be happy. About the closest I have gotten to that is from other car guys with stuff like "wow you must have been pissed when you found out about the new engine" usually said with a smile.

(by the way no I am not upset about that at all because I already knew when I bought my 2010)

#29 ·
Wow, where do you live? Hmmmm, Fargo . . . . I guess that might explain it.
I live in Grand Forks (80 miles north) and all I get are thumbs up and head turns and my car is basically stock.

#6 ·
In my case the cops give me the thumbs up when I drive by and most Corvette owners just back off. I do understand that there are people out there that have never driven a performance car of any kind but drive their SUV like it was a Ferrari.

We are even seeing commentary on this and other Ford sites about the new Mustang being better than the 2014 or older Mustangs. There is nothing wrong with getting a new Mustsng, but dismissing the past is something that the new generation does on a regular basis. I for one would love to have my first car back, a 1965 SS 327 Impala. Automotive history is a great thing. IRS on the new Mustang doesn't necessarily make it a better car, just a different car. And that is okay.

There was one comment on another site saying that buying a 2016 for the current price and modifying it would produce the same performance for $36,000 less than the 2014 GT500. Now this is ignorance. Think about how much money people spend on their cars to increase performance. I get more criticism from Mustang owners than anyone else about buying this car. These guys have dropped $20,000 in modifications to their cars and try to tell me that there cars were cheaper. Right!

There are naysayers everywhere. Enjoy your car and know that the negative commentary has more to do with jealousy and ignorance than anything else.

Pete

#8 ·
I got pulled over for doing 40 in a 25 zone... got a warning. The officer (motorcycle) said the real reason he pulled me over was to check out my CS. Mustang guy and said he had never seen a 14 California Special up close! We talked for like 20 min in an Apt complex parking lot. Made my day! :grin:

#9 ·
What kind of neighborhood do you live in where adults (or anyone really) would ask what you would do if they spray painted your car? That`s a little beyond bizarre. wonder.gif

#14 ·
See, that's the thing; It was a male nurse at the hospital I work at who made that remark. I was too bewildered to muster any type of witty comeback. What a strange thing to hear from someone who easily makes enough money to buy just about any brand new comparable car of his choice.

I absolutely bought this car for me. Not interested in impressing anyone. On weekends, I split town & roam southeastern North Dakota's vast expanses of sparsely-traveled highways, because that's what I enjoy. That's why I bought it. About the only mod I'm planning is a better set of door speakers and wiring up my very modest sub/amp setup in the trunk. Other than that, she's perfect, in my eyes.
...well, maybe a CAI at some point :wink:

Reactions: Edmund K
#11 ·
I've been working on my Mustang for about 10 months already, it's getting there.
I keep it in the garage and roll it out into the driveway when I work on it.
People are just ignorant.
If I had a dollar for every Dumbass, that stopped by asking if it was for sale? am I parting it out? or if I was going to drop in a 429 cobra jet engine (like I could even find, or afford, a cobra jet engine)!
Now if I also had a dollar for every pea brained imbecile that slowed down as they got to the front of my house just to do a burnout in their "fast and furious" wannabe shitbox I would be millionaire two times over.
People just don't have any sense.

#12 ·
Awe come on, it sounds like those people are just having fun. They don't know that you already heard it from 10 others before them.

That's nothing like threatening to key or spray paint your car.

#13 ·
As others have said, nothing but complements has been my experience. If someone did say something disparaging I'd ignore them. Who cares what they think anyway, you didn't buy the car for them, and if you did (and some people do that), you bought the car for the wrong reasons.

#16 ·
I always tell them the car drives quite fine, when, where, and how I race, and how they can register & participate or spectate if interested. Basically a 100% conversation killer.

Reactions: Kanistre13
#17 ·
I love it . . . especially since the local road track is about 10 minutes away, and "Track Night in America" is there every few weeks . . . I can even offer them a discount, LOL

Back to the OP, if someone asked "what would happen if I spray painted your car" I think I'd probably respond something like "why don't you try it, and then we'll find out"

#19 ·
I'm 50, veteran of many stupid fights and misguided ego trips. I don't give a **** what anyone thinks of the things I do or what I like. I used to care more but, no longer, not for a long time.

That said, everybody like the badass 2014 SGM car I have now, as much as they liked the 2012 GT I had before. Nobody has a bad word to say. I race the car and my motorcycle at the local track and they don't see that as something they'd do they appreciate the passion I have for it, end of story.

#24 ·
To me, other people outwardly disliking any of my lifestyle choices is a sign I am doing something right.

Haven't experienced a lot of "haters", just one tree hugger in a Prius that told me my "Type" of car (at the time a 2007 GT) was ruining the planet, and should be against the law to own it. I just told her to get back to me when she finds out where her dead Prius batteries go when you're done with them, and try to justify THAT to me.

Actually I have no idea where the tons of dead hybrid batteries go, I was just, apparently successfully, planting a seed of subconscious guilt in her tiny little "Fairy Princess of the Woodland Creatures" pea brain.

I catch more grief from people about my usual load of cargo in my current 2005 GT. When I unload close to 300 lbs of 12 legged Pit Bull crazy time, it looks like a clown car act from Hell. They're all leashed, and as sweet as pet rabbits, as most Pit Bulls are, but I have actually had people run away.

After spending many years with both Mustangs and those awesome dogs, running away from me because of either one, is a good thing. It will do them no good to hang around.

#25 ·
I have a couple co-workers who think they are "cute" and say stupid **** like that. One of them drives a Honda Prelude, who thinks they are filming Fast & Furious 8 in our parking lot at work. The other one drives a Geo, yes a Geo.

The last time one of these clowns said something "what if I did this to your car" ETC.

I just smiled at them, and in my most calm and reassuring voice simply said, " They will never find your body".

#26 ·
I've never had a friend or coworker threaten to do anything to my car, but there is one specific coworker of mine that outwardly hates mustangs and mustang owners.

My theory on this hatred is that it probably stems by a bad experience(s) with a mustang driver. I don't care what make and model of car, there are always d-bag owners out there(I know when I owned a WRX it was like every other WRX owner I ran into).

I tend to steer myself clear of negative people, but the one time he was talking crap about my car I responded back to him by saying "You should be the last person talking here, you drive a box on wheels", he drives around in a Subaru Forester. I left it at that, there seems to be negative people every where and they tend to hang around.

Who knows, it may just be a case of cutting off his nose to spite his face.

#27 ·
You will definitely know which type you are talking to pretty quickly. As a Factory Five Cobra owner I got used to these knuckleheads a long time ago "Oh it's a kit car, it's not real..." while I'm noticing their clapped out rusted POS 87 Jetta is definitely not a replica.....
So I just don't worry about it - you will always get two kinds - jealous/envious or actually interested - I'm polite to both, just really short with the idiots. it's important to remember that it's your car - you bought it for you. I've also noticed that some of the more informed and enthusiastic about our cars are 'Vette/Camaro/Challenger types who really are gear heads so when they're ribbing me I know it's a rivalry thing which makes it a lot more fun.

Scott

#28 ·
You will definitely know which type you are talking to pretty quickly. As a Factory Five Cobra owner I got used to these knuckleheads a long time ago "Oh it's a kit car, it's not real..." while I'm noticing their clapped out rusted POS 87 Jetta is definitely not a replica.....
So I just don't worry about it - you will always get two kinds - jealous/envious or actually interested - I'm polite to both, just really short with the idiots. it's important to remember that it's your car - you bought it for you. I've also noticed that some of the more informed and enthusiastic about our cars are 'Vette/Camaro/Challenger types who really are gear heads so when they're ribbing me I know it's a rivalry thing which makes it a lot more fun.

Scott
I got a good laugh from that.

#31 ·
Who cares what other people think about what you drive? If someone has a positive remark, that's great. If they bag on it, ignore it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.