What brakes are you guys using - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PMDmustang13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

What brakes are you guys using

I have a 2011 3.7 looking to get new rotors and pads.
Was wondering if stoptech slotted rotors with HPS pads would be good combo.
Or the power stop z26 from American muscle.
I don't drag my car Its DD but do like to push it every once in a while

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016
GT Member

Go with centric non slotted rotors and Carbo-tech pads of your choice.

freewayflyer likes this.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016
PONY Member

HPS pads feel really good compared to stock pads.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Carbotech pads, a mix of DBA 4000 and Centric plain rotors, and Motul RBF600 fluid.

I didn't find the HPS pads to be any better than OE as far as initial bite was concerned (way too soft for my liking). HP+ eats rotors like they were candy. But supposedly Hawk has a new compound.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If he's not doing road courses, I would think a stock replacement brake fluid would suffice. The RBF600 will absorb moisture and is intended to be replaced on a regular basis. I'll be doing a full flush this spring for track season.

As for brake pads, Carbotechs are pretty expensive for a DD. I'd just put on a good quality set of ceramic brake pads.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Agreed on the fluid - I thought I'd heard somewhere that the 2015+ Mustangs get a DOT 4 fluid (and even the older Ford fluid was still pretty decent stuff), for whatever that might be worth. I just did my Mustang's fluid yesterday, with a 2-day weekend coming up at the end of the month.

It's a matter of personal preference on the pads, as I am very much unimpressed with either the initial bite or the consistency of feel with readily available ceramics or the bite of HPS. I just got through putting 1521's on the '01 Maxima, and plan to put them on her Subie later in the year if I'm happy enough with them on the Max.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I'll look into better pads. This is my DD. Every once in a while a few quarter mile runs.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I just put on BrakeMotive's ceramic pads and drilled and slotted zinc plated rotors. A friend on here suggested them. These can be found on eBay. Great quality, low price. Perfect for a daily driver. Better than stock stopping power. If you want even better stopping power, jump up to Hawk pads and rotors. If you wan to track your car, Carbotech pads and Centric rotors. If you really want bite, get a set of 14" Brembo calipers from Ford and Centric rotors with Carbotech pads... less than $1200 you can have powerful brakes.

I went with the ceramic pads as my dad has found they bite better without fade and really wanted me to try them. So I tried them out and really like them. Top of the pedal braking is lightly effective, no worse than stock, but the more you press the better they dig in and bite. Wet braking is really great.

As I understand, folks up north are not fond of ceramics as they work best warm/hot.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I didn't find the HPS pads to be any better than OE as far as initial bite was concerned (way too soft for my liking).

Norm
Entirely possible that I overheated the OEM pads beyond all recovery.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
GT Member

Put the GT rotors/ caliper spacer on it.
Fills the wheel much nicer!

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
PONY Member

Garage
How many miles should you get out of your brakes

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
Apprentice

Have the Hawk HPS pads. They offer good bite and braking power.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
How many miles should you get out of your brakes
Depends on many things, including transmission type (AT's are harder on brakes partly because of less engine compression braking help and partly because of a tendency to left-foot brake without getting all the way off the throttle).

Best I can remember from my own experience** is that 50,000 - 70,000 street miles (80,000 - 110,000 km) with a MT is entirely possible, and this isn't all just easy braking. Not by a long shot. . .

** two of the cars I have or had that I can remember this for got their second brake jobs at ~120,000 miles (190,000 km) and my wife's Subie is still on the originals at about 70,000 miles.

Divide that by at least 100 if the miles are all road course HPDE miles, and that's with pads that are up to the thermal abuse (most OE pads aren't). No joke . . . the Mustang is on its 3rd set of track pads and the 2nd set of rotors after maybe 1500 track miles, separate from its OE equipment (this is actually pretty good life for brakes that see track time).

Norm

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
PONY Member

Garage
thanks for putting it in kms ehhhh

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
Rookie

I've heard very good things about performance friction z-rated pads for a performance oriented brake pad. Lot dust, high bite, good rotor wear. I'm about to give them a try in the rears while running Carbotech XP8s in the front for DD/Track applications.

2014 Race Red GT/CS Manual/3.55 Gears: Steeda shifter bracket, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Boss 302S 19x9 Wheels, 255/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position Tires, Vorshlag Brake Duct kit, 14" Brembro brake upgrade, JLT Passenger Oil Separater, Boss 302 Laguna Seca Shocks, Track Pack front springs, Boss 302 Rear springs, Steeda LCAs, Boss 302 Panhard Bar, Boss 302 Transmission Cooler Scoop, Boss 302 Oil Cooler, GT500 Finned Differential Cover, GT500 Axleback Mufflers, FRPP Pro Cal Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page