Hypertech Max energy - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hypertech Max energy

Has anyone tried this tuner? The website shows the dyno charts for this tune and I was just thinking if anybody has any info/experience with this product. MM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

No!! Go with SCT and a tuner of your choice

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016
GT Member

I've used it in other applications. It's a rock solid canned tune there.

Go SCT though, you'll want the tuning flexibility and datalogging capability down the road, if you keep going.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply gentlemen. If I buy a SCT tuner, doesn't that come with a couple of canned tunes?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yes the SCT tuner comes with SCT's canned tunes. But they are known for not being very good.

If you buy it from someone like Bama or Brenspeed, they include their "custom" tune with it; which is customized for your car's mods. And at least one of them offers "free tunes for life" meaning they will update the tunes if you make changes to your car later.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Canned tunes are usually weak. Also with every car being different, some might do ok with the tune and others will not. Best to buy an Xcal 3 or Xcal 4 and talk to a legit tuner. I like Lund, AED and VMP. No one else. If you buy a hypertech and try to get a dyno tune, you'll have to buy their Xcal and then the dyno tune. Which means....don't buy hyperjunk.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thank you for the advice and information guys!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016
GT Member

Buy the tuner from Lund, VMP, JPC, Rousch, Steeda, etc. and it'll come loaded with 3 tunes from them that'll probably set you up perfectly fine. The tunes come essentially free with the price of the tuner...except for VMP, which dings you with a little higher price and shipping compared to the others. I used them because I wanted a totally solid auto tune and they are known for good work. We are talking ~$50 difference so, NBD.

Don't use SCT strategy tunes from SCT themselves. These are risky and don't have the development time behind them the players above do.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I know for me and I like Justin and his tunes but I had Lund and VMP to use at the track. Lund with a 2.04 60' netted a 12.41 at 113 mph. VMP with a 2.05 60' netted a 12.56 at 113 mph. I probably tried different launches, rpms and such. ran both around 4 times apiece and stuck to Lund. 10th to some is nothing and to some it's everything. But you can't go wrong with either one.

And this was with a JLT CAI, axle back, their tune on stock rubber.
Rookie

I had the hypertech in my 1998 Corvette and it did make a nice difference in performance by letting me adjust the shift points. It is one of the tuners that is very safe for the engine but if your looking for real performance, Get a Lund or Bama that is configured to your car, Gas Octane and how you want to drive.
Don't waste you $$$$ on a generic Tuner.

Ronnie
Apprentice

Most of my friends have the SCT and they have no complaints. I went with Hypertech programmer because of the deal I got before. I run 93 Octane and set the shift firmness to 25%, and I'm happy with the result. I can say that this product is worth my money.
GT Member

You can also adjust shift firmness with the SCT, if your tuner has enabled the feature in the tune he made. The X4 is serious kit. It is underutilized in just plunking in a canned tune. It has powerful datalogging capability and a lot of adjustable features. I love it and most tuners use SCT for this platform.

Apprentice

Lethal is having a sale on the SCT's this week.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
If you buy it from someone like Bama or Brenspeed, they include their "custom" tune with it; which is customized for your car's mods. And at least one of them offers "free tunes for life" meaning they will update the tunes if you make changes to your car later.
Actually both offer free tunes for life - though Brenspeed does charge when you buy tuner required parts from other sellers ($15 to adjust the tune). They also have a list of mods they do not recommend and parts they have found are less effective than other brand parts - for instance they have advised me against one set of headers as they are not "tune friendly" and often will cause a check engine light (O2 sensor location is the issue) and they answer the phone and race Mustangs.

VMP does their best tuning on forced induction cars.

Steeda does its best tuning for track applications and has zero complaints.

Lund, Brenspeed and Bama do best for 1/4 mile applications. Though real life differences may be splitting hairs.

All five are good choices. AED seems to have disappeared as a tuner source. Heard some good and some bad things about them, but they certainly did know how to tune and may have pushed the envelope too much in some applications.

Hope that helps.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for all the input guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page