Ford Mustang Forum banner

Pet Peeve,Or Is It Just Me ?

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Masterang 
#1 ·
It seems lately, there are more folks that come to AFM, and they have a problem with there Mustang and need help,some topics are a major interest to many of us,and many of us try and HELP, either by our past experience,or we take our time to do some research to try and help them with there problem,we then bookmark that thread to see the answer to the problem, or to try and offer more help or support.The problem of late seems to be, that the OP"s just drop off of the thread, so the folks that tried to help & also would like an answer to see what the outcome is or was.My thinking is if you have a problem and post it looking for an answer,be courteous and let know the results. Just my $02.

#3 ·
Oh yeah, you get all kinds, coming and going.

If you visit the "introductions" forum, you'll also see numerous newbie postings of technical questions. They either go unanswered because the knowledgeable folks usually hang out in the tech sections, or they just get "welcome to the forum" responses because that's the forum they posted in.

I've also seen those that give up after receiving no responses within the first hour after posting, as if this was some kind of 24-hr hotline. I guess I was too late to help this fella, but at least it was good for a chuckle.

Or how about those "necroposts", trying to join a conversation that's been dormant for so long that some of the participants are no longer around. I wish I had a dollar for every time...

#4 ·
It's the norm and always has been. Probably will never change. Nothing like looking up your problems to see a post about it. Thinking "hell yeah about to find the answer" but when you click on it.....it was never answered or no follow up to the fix.

I don't mind ppl rising a dead thread as long as it adds to it or the op is trying to find out what might have been the fix.

Can also understand the need for a quick response. Might happen. Might not. If you're stranded or car won't start and about to be late to work or such, you can see why they need a quick response.

#5 ·
Necroposting is technically against the forum rules, but I think that resurrecting old threads is totally acceptable within reason. Especially if it's the thread starter who is providing an update. Sometimes it takes a while to say "the noise has been gone for a year now; I guess it's fixed".

Fast responses are great and all, but it's not something to get upset about if you don't get immediate responses. Some regular members are on here daily, but some of us can only set aside time once or twice a week.

#7 ·
Yeah I have noticed that too; seems to be a flurry of them lately.

I guess I should read up on the necroposting rules; that doesn't really make sense to me because I thought it was almost always better to update an old thread than to create a new one on the same topic.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#8 ·
This forum used to be pretty cool and fun about 3-4 years ago, but now its basically just random people posting about problems with their car. I check in once in awhile and usually see no cool or interesting threads to click on. You see allot of members on here havnt been active in months/years, most have just stopped frequenting the site.

#11 ·
I hate to say it, but a lot of these people are spammers.
Notice that a lot of them say "Hey check out my YouTube video".
You know the one with all the ads, that they get paid if you click on them.

This is how they spread they're links. It's kind of obvious sometimes and when I have seen it, I responded.

#12 ·
Maybe I an just getting old . . . but I hate the Facebook format. I can never find anything there the second time. The first time I see a post, I say to myself "hey, that's pretty cool, check back on that" and then when I come back it is gone, never to be seen again unless I scroll down through dozens of inane posts. Drives me nuts.

I much prefer the "good old" forrum format, where you can actually find something again. But I guess that is going the way of the dodo bird . . .

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#13 ·
Maybe I an just getting old . . . but I hate the Facebook format. I can never find anything there the second time. The first time I see a post, I say to myself "hey, that's pretty cool, check back on that" and then when I come back it is gone, never to be seen again unless I scroll down through dozens of inane posts. Drives me nuts.

I much prefer the "good old" forrum format, where you can actually find something again. But I guess that is going the way of the dodo bird . . .
I am with you, I am 70 years old and the thing that I find SAD is that a lot of friends on hear are no longer on hear,and no other way of contacting them.

#15 ·
FB is draining all the motorsports forums I hang on, and I don't know why. It's more fluid, but that means you don't get to know anyone or get a feeling whether they're credible or not. Since they don't have any time invested, they just pop in and out and routinely leave posts with no value.

#17 ·
I've been a member here for quite a while. The site is definitely a shell of what it used to be.

#20 ·
You are right. I am back after a 2 yr hiatus and it isn't like it was back in 2012-2013 when I joined.

5.0 Coyote, I always thought that the ones who needed the help finally got their issue resolved and were off to the races or racking up speeding tickets. No thank-you notes didn't bother me before but it does now! Thanks :grin:

I think a lot also has to do with the site not being as intuitive/up to date for this day and age. It just looks and feels old, the text box i'm typing on looks like it's from the 90's, why doesn't it extend to the width of the screen??

If someone does not quote you in their response you will not get a notification. You have to keep checking back posts in case this happened. This is probably why few thank you notes are left.

We're used to quickness and intuitiveness of apps and facebook. If AFM stayed current and upgraded the interface I think people would stick around.

See how cumbersome it is to get to the forum of your choice from the main page. Also the nomenclature is so frustrating!....

Mustang S197 Forums (2005-2014 Mustangs)
4.6L Mustang Forums (1996-2004)
5.0 Mustang Forums (1979 – 1995)
V6 Mustang Forums (1979-2004)

Why not just go by year to be uniform, I can't tell you how many times I clicked "V6 Mustang Forums" and realized I was in the 79-04 category instead of the 05-14 V6 one. People know their model year before their model codename so just make it easy for everyone.

2005-2014 Mustangs
1996-2004 Mustangs
1979-1995 Mustangs

Keep it simple. These are not a big deal once figured out and I like the site because there are some good contributors still around but geez get this damn text box fixed! >:)

#22 ·
Aw shucks, that response just moved me to work through the clunky interface and send out my very first friend request!:wink:

I noticed the "Send a message via email to XYZ" option, that might be your last bet to get in touch with them. If you know somebody's full name you possibly could find/stalk them on Facebook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.