2010 Mustang GT VS 2011 Mustang GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Garage
I just recently traded in my 2006 for a 2011 GT for the sole purpose of having the 5.0. I did look at a 2010 but didn't actually test drive it. I like the sound of 2006 4.6 3v engine allot better than this coyote that's for sure. But yea, it's faster. Make sure you get the 3.73 gears if you can. In my 2006 GT I averaged about 19 mpg. In this 5.0 I get about 17.6. If you plan to change out the stereo, be looking to spend $400 just on the installation kit. That is a big downer in my opinion. I've had my 5.0 for about a month and so far, have had no engine trouble, though It does seem to use a bit of oil. I've used about a qt after 5-6k. Both of the motors in my seats have gone bad tho and that really sucks since you have to replace the entire track for $300 each. 1 week after my purchase, the driver side seat stopped working. I got it fixed under warranty. about 3 thousand miles later and an expired warranty, the passenger side stopped working, too.

Sure it's about 3 grand more expensive, but in my opinion, the 5.0 is worth it. I mean, that's what a mustang is all about, right? The muscle. I can't understand why somebody would buy a muscle car without the muscle. 315 vs 412... more muscle. A mustang is supposed to be a fast car. Think about it, you don't want to lose a straight to a guy driving a Focus. No! You want him to know you've got a stang with a 5.0 V8. People buy mustangs for the power. If you're going to buy a mustang... buy a mustang. A real mustang. Not the watered down version. Get the 5.0 badge and the 412hp.

C is for Cookies. That's good enough for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini9 View Post
I just recently traded in my 2006 for a 2011 GT for the sole purpose of having the 5.0. I did look at a 2010 but didn't actually test drive it. I like the sound of 2006 4.6 3v engine allot better than this coyote that's for sure. But yea, it's faster. Make sure you get the 3.73 gears if you can. In my 2006 GT I averaged about 19 mpg. In this 5.0 I get about 17.6. If you plan to change out the stereo, be looking to spend $400 just on the installation kit. That is a big downer in my opinion. I've had my 5.0 for about a month and so far, have had no engine trouble, though It does seem to use a bit of oil. I've used about a qt after 5-6k. Both of the motors in my seats have gone bad tho and that really sucks since you have to replace the entire track for $300 each. 1 week after my purchase, the driver side seat stopped working. I got it fixed under warranty. about 3 thousand miles later and an expired warranty, the passenger side stopped working, too.

Sure it's about 3 grand more expensive, but in my opinion, the 5.0 is worth it. I mean, that's what a mustang is all about, right? The muscle. I can't understand why somebody would buy a muscle car without the muscle. 315 vs 412... more muscle. A mustang is supposed to be a fast car. Think about it, you don't want to lose a straight to a guy driving a Focus. No! You want him to know you've got a stang with a 5.0 V8. People buy mustangs for the power. If you're going to buy a mustang... buy a mustang. A real mustang. Not the watered down version. Get the 5.0 badge and the 412hp.
This can happen with a 5.0 versus a RS Focus.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
This can happen with a 5.0 versus a RS Focus.
I would totally trade in my 3.7 for an RS. Love my car, but I do wish I would've waited and saved a bit more up for a 5.0

2014 Automatic V6 Grabber Blue| Roush Axle backs| JLT CAI| 93 Oct Bama race Tune| SR Strut Tower Brace| GTCS Spoiler|

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini9 View Post
I think those of us who were actually around when the Mustang was introduced would disagree. The "real" Mustang in 1964 came with a 170 CID inline six cylinder producing an enormous 101 horsepower or a 260 CID V8 with an outstanding 164 horsepower. Horsepower was not the goal of the "real" Mustang - it was introduced as a sporty 2+2 coupe that would be a more practical and less expensive replacement for the earlier 2-seat Thunderbird. The aim was to attract young baby boomers so it had to be inexpensive and therefore use as many parts as possible from other Ford models. It was only later that the Mustang joined the horsepower war of the '60s and early '70s that were dominated by larger cars such as the Chevelle, Charger, GTO and Galaxie.

The Mustang has always been available in models ranging from "commuter" to "drag strip" and now to "true sports car". In fact, the overwhelming majority of Mustangs ever sold have not been performance versions (for example, in 2012 the V6 outsold the GT two-to-one). So a "real" Mustang is actually a V6 and the GT is relatively unusual.
1DrunkCat and Gator3-7 like this.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
The Mustang has always been available in models ranging from "commuter" to "drag strip" and now to "true sports car". In fact, the overwhelming majority of Mustangs ever sold have not been performance versions (for example, in 2012 the V6 outsold the GT two-to-one). So a "real" Mustang is actually a V6 and the GT is relatively unusual.
The extra $10k for the GT over the V6 kind of influences the numbers sold

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
We can debate and not argue as to what a Mustang is until no one wants to read this post. the OP wanted to know what to get between a 10' GT or 11' GT. I really enjoy discussing the Mustang as much as the rest of us, for days on end even. IMHO the OP should take the info and make his/her own decision.
PONY Member

Garage
IMO if it's between a 2010 and 2011+ GT, get the 2011+

Look at it this way, if you get the 2010 and leave it stock, you'll probably wind up wishing you had the extra 100hp of a 5.0 at some point. At that point you can either live with it, or spend a bunch of money trying to get another 100hp out of the old 3v.
OR
You could spend probably less than you would upgrading the 3v and just get the 5.0. The power will be more reliable and you can push it further still if you want.
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I wonder what the OP ended up getting?

So to take a new twist and add to this thread on the original subject at hand.

As far as reliability which is the better choice between the 2010 and say the 2011+?

I know the 2010 have the what is said to be bullet proof 4.6 and transmission while the 2011+ seem to have clutch/transmission lock outs, engine tick, and a couple other things.

Having owned both a 2006 GT with the 4.6 and the 2011 GT with the 5.0 I am still myself unsure on which would be the best option between the 2010 and say the 2011 GT's considering reliability and the like. If this is about performance then yes 2011+ as it comes stock with 100+ more hp/tq, but what about reliability as that is also important.

Thoughts?

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I can't speak to the 2011+, but suspect the problems we hear about are exaggerated, we only hear about the few problem cars and don't hear about all the good ones.

My 2010 has been rock-solid reliable for over 90K miles so far. I have replaced the battery twice (second time on battery warranty); had a minor issue with the Shaker 500 that was fixed under warranty; had the buzzing trunk latch issue that was fixed under warranty; and now have some clunkiness in the suspension which might have to do with age or modifications. The transmission is a bit stiff when very cold; and I crunch 3rd gear occaisionally. Some mice got in and chewed one of the windshield washer hoses. Other than that it is pretty much perfect.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
I wonder what the OP ended up getting?

So to take a new twist and add to this thread on the original subject at hand.

As far as reliability which is the better choice between the 2010 and say the 2011+?

I know the 2010 have the what is said to be bullet proof 4.6 and transmission while the 2011+ seem to have clutch/transmission lock outs, engine tick, and a couple other things.

Having owned both a 2006 GT with the 4.6 and the 2011 GT with the 5.0 I am still myself unsure on which would be the best option between the 2010 and say the 2011 GT's considering reliability and the like. If this is about performance then yes 2011+ as it comes stock with 100+ more hp/tq, but what about reliability as that is also important.

Thoughts?
OK, here's my opinion on the OP:
I say he never got either one and he never had an intent to get one. He was only here to try to promote a YouTube channel that he has about cars.

I had an 06 GT and now have a 13 GT. The 06 actually did sound a lot better!! The 13 is obviously faster. Think I like the 13 better. It just looks cooler and there are so many more cool little features such as ambient lighting, sequential taillights, etc.

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I am really considering a 2010 GT over a 2011+ 5.0. The 2010's seem to be a better lower price so in theory a better "deal". I am struggling as nothing against V6', but I know myself and I see it here all the time people start beating themselves up wising they had the GT. I am scared if I buy a 2010 I will beat myself up for not getting a 2011+ 5.0. The new 2011 V6's have almost the punch of a 2010 GT. So pretty much comparable and same concept except the 2010 GT is still a V8 and sounds amazing at that.

What to do, what to do, oh what to do...? haha

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . . I am scared if I buy a 2010 I will beat myself up for not getting a 2011+ 5.0. The new 2011 V6's have almost the punch of a 2010 GT. . . . .

I don't beat myself up over my decision to get the 2010; but I do second-guess it from time to time and think about trading it in. Then I look at the price difference and decide I'm good with what I have . . . . for now, until the next time I browse the ads, LOL.

I never second guess the decision to get the 2010 GT over the 2011+ V6. The peak horsepower may be similar but the power delivery and feel is quite different; and yeah the V8 sound alone is worth at least a couple thousand bucks premium.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member

I know I'm going to drag race my car so, it's 5.0 all the way. This is my fifth Mustang, all 5.0s, starting in 68 and culminating with the 14 I own now. I had to throw 100 shot of jug on the 14 to make it interesting at the drags (bc auto) so, no way the 4.6 would ever have done it for me.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I don't beat myself up over my decision to get the 2010; but I do second-guess it from time to time and think about trading it in. Then I look at the price difference and decide I'm good with what I have . . . . for now, until the next time I browse the ads, LOL.

I never second guess the decision to get the 2010 GT over the 2011+ V6. The peak horsepower may be similar but the power delivery and feel is quite different; and yeah the V8 sound alone is worth at least a couple thousand bucks premium.
No I am not considering a V6 was just comparing. It is V8 or nothing for me when it comes to a Mustang. Although the turbo 4's are somewhat appealing just because they have potential with little add ons and just tuning.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
No I am not considering a V6 was just comparing. It is V8 or nothing for me when it comes to a Mustang. Although the turbo 4's are somewhat appealing just because they have potential with little add ons and just tuning.
Man, your profile is very interesting. You've done a lot of "Car hopping" over the years. Sounds fun. You seem to go back and forth a lot even backwards in generations!! I wish I can do this, but for some reason I've been keeping the same car. I think it's the wife thing. She doesn't always like: Me getting a new car, lol.

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page