Supercharger noise - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Supercharger noise

Hi Guys,
I am ready to purchase a supercharger for my 2011 Mustang GT.
I am still in the research phase and reading over as much info as I can on centrifugal blowers and positive displacement superchargers. I need a CARB legal system since I'm in California so I am looking at the Roush R2300 Phase 1 or the Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Complete System.

I know the Roush whines, but does the Vortech make any type of noise when boosted? I've checked on Youtube and I only hear the blow off valve on the centrifugals (if they are equipped with one), but I can't hear the supercharger itself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post
Hi Guys,
I am ready to purchase a supercharger for my 2011 Mustang GT.
I am still in the research phase and reading over as much info as I can on centrifugal blowers and positive displacement superchargers. I need a CARB legal system since I'm in California so I am looking at the Roush R2300 Phase 1 or the Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Complete System.

I know the Roush whines, but does the Vortech make any type of noise when boosted? I've checked on Youtube and I only hear the blow off valve on the centrifugals (if they are equipped with one), but I can't hear the supercharger itself.

Some friends installed a ProCharger (centrifugal) P-1SC-1 on my 2014 GT this past weekend and it definitely makes noise! When you buy a ProCharger, you have the option of ordering it with straight cut gears or helical cut gears in the gear box; with the straight cut gears being the louder but less expensive option. Here is mine on first start-up this past Saturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wHpcmJVqFM

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016
PONY Member

I have a also have a procharger (D1SC with the helical cut gears) and the only time it makes noise is on startup and at idle. Once the car is moving you don't hear anything. There is just the noise of the blow off valve when you shift after going into boost. I'm guessing the the vortech/paxton blowers are the same. Also GLOCKer did you go with the standard or helical cut gears?

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelforFire87 View Post
I have a also have a procharger (D1SC with the helical cut gears) and the only time it makes noise is on startup and at idle. Once the car is moving you don't hear anything. There is just the noise of the blow off valve when you shift after going into boost. I'm guessing the the vortech/paxton blowers are the same. Also GLOCKer did you go with the standard or helical cut gears?
I went with the standard gears; I liked the cheaper price and the louder noise!

Major Mods:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I have a vortech v3 on my 95. It makes a little whine but not much. You can't really hear it over the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
Some friends installed a ProCharger (centrifugal) P-1SC-1 on my 2014 GT this past weekend and it definitely makes noise! When you buy a ProCharger, you have the option of ordering it with straight cut gears or helical cut gears in the gear box; with the straight cut gears being the louder but less expensive option. Here is mine on first start-up this past Saturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wHpcmJVqFM
Wow, it's got a nice whistle...thanks for sharing!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelforFire87 View Post
Good info...thanks for chiming in!!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
I have a vortech v3 on my 95. It makes a little whine but not much. You can't really hear it over the exhaust.

That is one tuff sounding beast...thanks for sharing!!!
90lxwhite likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
That is one tuff sounding beast...thanks for sharing!!!

Thank you sir. With mine you can hear it whine in the cab more than outside it seems. She's currently in the friggin shop.. Been there for about a month now, stinks..

If I were you I'd buy whichever you get the best price on. Don't be afraid of any "boost lag" with a centrifugal. It'll start making boost around 3k rpm which doesn't take any time at all to get to, and it'll continue to build psi up to redline.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Thank you sir. With mine you can hear it whine in the cab more than outside it seems. She's currently in the friggin shop.. Been there for about a month now, stinks..

If I were you I'd buy whichever you get the best price on. Don't be afraid of any "boost lag" with a centrifugal. It'll start making boost around 3k rpm which doesn't take any time at all to get to, and it'll continue to build psi up to redline.

Thanks for the advice, 90lxwhite!!!

Quick question for 90lxwhite or for anyone reading...is 25HP/25lb-ft torque a big difference in feel?

Basically, the Roush Phase 1 is 575HP/505 lb-ft torque
and the Vortech is 605HP/473 lb-ft torque...

the Roush has about 25lb-ft more torque, but the Vortech has about 25HP more...
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Supercharger noise

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, 90lxwhite!!!

Quick question for 90lxwhite or for anyone reading...is 25HP/25lb-ft torque a big difference in feel?

Basically, the Roush Phase 1 is 575HP/505 lb-ft torque

and the Vortech is 605HP/473 lb-ft torque...

the Roush has about 25lb-ft more torque, but the Vortech has about 25HP more...

Not when you're adding that much power. The biggest difference in feel between the two will be that the roush is getting into boost almost off of idle while the centrifugal builds boost the higher the rpm. The roush type might be hard to get traction off of the line.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Not when you're adding that much power. The biggest difference in feel between the two will be that the roush is getting into boost almost off of idle while the centrifugal builds boost the higher the rpm. The roush type might be hard to get traction off of the line.

Sweet...thanks for the knowledge!!!
PONY Member

Interesting Glocker, not trying to hijack, but the video you posted doesn't seem any quieter than my setup and I have the helical gears. Do you get noise when you are driving? Or is it just during idle. I just wanted to compare the straight cut gears to the helical gears that I supposedly have.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
PONY Member

Garage
I get noise when driving, but it really does mellow out at cruising speeds.

Major Mods:
PONY Member

Once you are driving you won't really hear anything besides the swooshing of air and the blow off noise on a centrifugal. The roush or roots/twin screw won't make any noise until about 2000rpms and then it's a low humming noise at low throttle, at medium throttle you start to hear the whine and at full throttle it just sounds like a screaming banshee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page