2012 Boss 302. Too good to be true. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenv

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member

2012 Boss 302. Too good to be true.

A friend visited a local Lexus dealership the other day. He told me about seeing "a purple Mustang with white striping on it.". Went to check it out and it only had 18K on miles. What a deal I thought. I casually mentioned to the sales Rep that it was probably only driven 1/4 miles at a time to explain the low mileage. Little did I realize. Found the car. After market exhaust, Kona blue, and brand new aftermarket wheels and tires. Why does a car with only 18K need brand new tires? Sales Rep slid behind the wheel and fired the Boss up. And you should have heard the clatter coming from the engine compartment! OMG! Yep! Driven 1/4 miles at a time and the engine sounded it . Too bad though. It is a nice looking car. Had him pull the Boss back into its slot and went home disappointed. Drats! Good luck all on finding your special Mustang. I'm gonna keep looking!

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016
PONY Member

no doubt has had the crap run out of it.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Actually the Boss had Summer Only Tires and 18,000 miles might be stretching it so that wouldn't bother me, since my V6 needed tires at 19,000. Getting rid of the Wagon Wheels, a lot of people didn't like them.
Now Motor sounding like that, run before the grenade goes off.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Bryoni,

Low mileage does not mean "1/4 mile at a time", in all cases, lol. Some people don't drive much or they keep the Mustang for nice day driving only (or both). And summer (high perf.) tires do tend to wear much sooner than the usual all-weather tires. Having said that, some Boss owners take their cars to the track to run them for what the car was designed to do. What's missing at the moment is information.

The clatter under the hood could be problematic. Maybe the sound-deadening blanket has been removed. It would be worth asking for the maintenance records and the OASIS (Ford's service system) history. If no history is available then that could be a troubling factor but it shouldn't be a deal killer. The salesman might put an genuinely interested buyer in touch with the owner to get the real story. If the engine needs work then the buyer can negotiate the price down to account for the needed engine work.

The Boss would be a nice project for the right buyer. If that buyer is you then go back and see what info is available for the the car and see if you can speak with the owner. Then, if all is good, haggle with the salesman to get a fair price and then you have a solid car that needs a little TLC and elbow grease to make it a great car again.

Chris

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I put brand new wheels & tires on my `13 GT, & it still only has less than 1500 miles. I just did not like the stock setup.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page