time for new tires - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
I don't want this to be one of those threads where everyone has to give their 2 cents worth on whatever tire they have. I will buy a set of either the Bridgestone Turanza or the Continental equivalent. Has anyone had any negative experiences with either of these brands?

My car is getting ready to turn 40k miles and the trash OEM Pirellis need to come off (YAAAAAY!). There's still tread but not much. They are probably at the point of being dangerous.

Again, I just want responses on the 2 brands I referenced. I bought the Bridgestones for my 2012 and was pleased with them. But they are more expensive than the Continental.
I have no experience with the Bridgestones, but I just put on the Continental DWS06 on mine about 2500 miles ago and they are great tires. They felt a little odd for a few hundred miles (a touch softer than what I was hoping for) but once they got through that they are great. The steering feel is a bit lighter than the Pirelli's and they are a little bit softer, but they ride very nicely and are quiet (something I wasn't used to with the Pirelli's after getting about 10k on them). They handle a bit differently than the Pirelli's but I feel confident in them in the wet or dry.

1973 Mach 1 - Medium Aqua, 351c, functional Ram Air
2013 V6 Premium - Deep Impact Blue, MCA, 3:31 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
When I was a service advisor, I had quite a lot of experience with Bridgestone Turanza's and they SUCK!!!! They wore quickly and road noise got quite bad by the time they were 50% worn. STAY AWAY! There are many other tires of similar cost that will be quieter, last longer and perform better.

This is not to say all Bridgestones are bad. I have had plenty of good experience with other models. But this post was specifically about the Turanza model of which I have nothing positive to say. Bridgestone needs to dump this model.

stevegt2012 likes this.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by candersen View Post
When I was a service advisor, I had quite a lot of experience with Bridgestone Turanza's and they SUCK!!!! They wore quickly and road noise got quite bad by the time they were 50% worn. STAY AWAY! There are many other tires of similar cost that will be quieter, last longer and perform better.

This is not to say all Bridgestones are bad. I have had plenty of good experience with other models. But this post was specifically about the Turanza model of which I have nothing positive to say. Bridgestone needs to dump this model.

I had a set of the Turanzas on my Tbird that would always vibrate on the freeway despite repeated balancings. Funny thing was if it was raining they wouldn't vibrate. I always figured the water in the treads somehow was dynamically balancing the tires. Would never buy another set.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I think in general, you should shop for tires that fall into the same general category as, or comparable to, what the OE tires that the car came with are. No lower, if only to preserve the driving/handling "feel" that you have become accustomed to having. Touring tires are very likely to give a Mustang a slightly/somewhat sluggish handling feel, more like the nothing-special FWD sedans that they're mainly intended for.

(A higher-performance tire choice would be a better match for the rest of your car than a lower-perf tire, but since going up the tire performance food chain appears to not be the case I won't go there.)

Norm
noldevin likes this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
PONY Member

Garage
Niether tire is a good choice for a rwd car with power and decent handling... but suit yourself
BOSS Member

Garage
I predict the OP will be on here whining about his new tires in a couple of months.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well, this afternoon I had the new Turanza Serenity Plus tars put on. The car definitely feels different. Its handling is not quite as crisp, the steering feels looser and the ride is softer. However, they are super quiet which was my main objective. I could care less about precise handling. I don't need it for my subdued style of driving.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)
BOSS Member

Garage
They will get louder and louder just like the Pirellis you used to have.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
They will get louder and louder just like the Pirellis you used to have.
They were great on my 2012. About half of the consumer reviews said they were noisy which doesn't mean that half of the tires produced were noisy. But for ANY tire I noticed that about half of the reviews were negative. So it can't be said for sure that they will get noisy. Just like any purchase, it's a roll of the dice! As far as handling, that's for those who live for the track and do donuts in parking lots.
90lxwhite likes this.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
They were great on my 2012. About half of the consumer reviews said they were noisy which doesn't mean that half of the tires produced were noisy. But for ANY tire I noticed that about half of the reviews were negative. So it can't be said for sure that they will get noisy. Just like any purchase, it's a roll of the dice! As far as handling, that's for those who live for the track and do donuts in parking lots.
"Noisy" is in the ear of the beholder . . . some folks can hardly endure what others just barely notice. Then again, most individual customer reviews - tires of lower performance intent in particular - are of limited value.

I'd have stopped there ↑↑↑ except for that part where you've lumped track enthusiasts in with the sort of lowest common denominator show-offs that are giving Mustangs a derogatory "meme" image.

Those who do donuts in parking lots aren't interested in handling at all. Quite the opposite, and I hope this isn't one of your reasons for dissing the idea of good handling. You don't have to use it all the time, any more than you have to use all of the HP that your car's engine makes, all the time. But the feeling that you can put the car right where you want it to be rather than vaguely somewhere in your lane (most of the time, anyway) is there for you all the time. Hope you don't miss that too much.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
But the feeling that you can put the car right where you want it to be rather than vaguely somewhere in your lane (most of the time, anyway) is there for you all the time. Hope you don't miss that too much.

Norm
We'll see! I've had to "put the car right where you want it" only a handful of times so far and it was nice. I don't see why I can't do the same with what I have. But I stick to my purchase decision.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I hope it works out well for you.

To the point of precision, tires that generate larger slip angles through any given maneuver - progressively so as the cornering g's get larger - are a little more difficult to "stay on top of" as situations from cornering to avoidance maneuvers are happening. You end up making more or greater corrections in reaction to the car's path being not quite what you'd envisioned. Over time, you do adapt and it does become pretty much a subconscious thing most of that time. Maybe enough so that when you get into a new car with decently sharp cornering response, the new car will seem "too twitchy" to you even when (trying to) drive it straight ahead (you end up weaving a sine-wave path back and forth in your lane as you're constantly over-correcting until you re-adapt).

I remember a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires I bought for the Maxima in my sig. Billed as "performance all-season", which should have read "all season with a performance look about them". First easy 90į neighborhood turn less than 400' down the road from my house and it was clear that they weren't playing in the same ballpark as that car's OE tires (which weren't anything special themselves but were at least responsive). Sucked it up and ran on them until their wet weather performance had deteriorated noticeably, which happened with about 1/3 useable tread depth left. I do hope your experience ends up being better than that experience of mine was.

Norm

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Did some maneuvers this afternoon on a curvy freeway entrance ramp. And YEP she definitely understeers compared to the Pirelli but oh so smooth and quiet! It almost feels like I'm driving a large car but not quite. But like any change, it'll take getting used to. I still think that Pirelli is trash.

Rookie

I hope you have better luck than I did with the Turanzas on my Acura TL. They were horrible in the rain - easy to hydroplane and got progressively noisier as they wore. I replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilots and never looked back. That said I had an Infiniti G37 that came with Potenzas and they were great tires.

Scott
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
I replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilots and never looked back.

Scott
At a cost of $1100, these tires are gonna stay on my car for a long time! I put up with those stinking OEM Pirellis for 39K miles, so I can and will endure these Turanzas for at least that no matter their performance. But I am expecting that they won't be near as bad as the OEMs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page