So, someone clipped my Mustang today - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Strange Mud
  • 1 Post By OTownMarine

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry So, someone clipped my Mustang today

Hi all. Long story short, some clipped my car today on the passenger side, but due to traffic, I was basically stuck, and they didnt bother stopping. They were in a big ass SUV, but, happened so fast I couldnt get a plate/etc. I was stationary in the left turn lane, with cars in front of/behind me. I pulled into the gas station in case he was turning around at the next light(he slowed when he hit me so I thought maybe he'd do the right thing), waited there for 30 minutes, nothing.

I am in Boston for work for a few months, so I called the local PD, they said nothing to be done, call your insurance and file a claim. My question is, does anyone know roughly what it would cost me to get this fixed? I don't want to go file a claim and run the risk of raising my insurance if its less than my deductible. Basically, the paint is scuffed/damaged above the rear passenger wheel well, and the mirror was knocked off(it's still attached- but the top portion is detached, I'm attaching pics). Mirror looks like it could just be gorilla glued lol(I'm not going to-but, it isnt like its in pieces-when i hold it up it seats perfectly and looks great, just wont stay on).

Would a touch up (a good one) and repairing my mirror be over 500 bucks? I'm just hesitant to call it in if in fact I end up paying it all out of pocket anyway, and i end up with a higher insurance rate. Thoughts?

I'm trying not to be too angry, but I love this car and I worked hard for it, and it's so damn frustrating. Thanks!

EDIT-Not sure where my head was at. My deductible is a grand. So, chances are it'd be less than that to get it fixed but who knows.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_175001.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	651.2 KB
ID:	539265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_175006.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	539273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_175012.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	539281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_175021.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	539289  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sorry to see what happened. Not really sure how much it will cost you, I've had worse damage on my sons 2000 and he got it repaired for $600 but my buddy owns the shop. Best of luck.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
That's an easy fix and less than deductible. Take it to a vocational school bodyshop and they'll do it for materials cost (usually).

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016
Apprentice

First things first- will it buff out? It looks quite dark to me which, if you're lucky, might mean it's all paint transfer to your car (but it might just be that yours is white, I can't tell for sure). If it is, a good detailing will get it looking good for much much less than your deductible. You might try taking some rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth and seeing if you can buff it out by hand first. I scraped my front bumper on a pole in a tight parking spot and I thought it was hosed but it actually buffed out almost completely, so that's something to check first.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Yeah, its going to cost more than $500. Had similar damage on my previous car. $1200 to fix in STL. Boston area I would add 20-30%.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016
PONY Member

The painted mirror cover pops off, American Muscle has pre painted ones. The rest might buff mostly out, hard to tell in the pics.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

that sux esp the part about the hit & run. I hate it when folks don't take responsibility. I do have an idea of what will make you feel better tho...join us for a ride on some great MA back roads:

New England Fall Cruise 2016 - Mustang Evolution
Mac The Knife likes this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
First off sorry to hear that - some people suck, secondly aren't estimates free down there? Take it to a few places, talk to our local Mustang people about who does good work at a fair price.

Good luck

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016
Rookie

It looks like it's just the paint. Hopefully it comes out to less than the deductible.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

So, I called around, and I'm going to take it in this weekend and have it looked at. Over the phone though, he told me that if the 'spring/bracket' inside the mirror housing was busted, i'd have to buy a new mirror. Now, I'm sure he knows his stuff, but thats annoying. Because it isnt damaged(besides the fact it wont stay up- I mean from a cosmetic standpoint) and, the electrical is still just fine in it. I wish I had the guts to just glue it or find some adhesive that I could apply that would hold it in place and yet, come off if it needed to in the future. Because when I hold it up w my hand, in place, it looks perfect. Sigh.

Regarding the paint transfer, I ordered some stuff online that is supposed to work amazing for that. Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion I believe its called. Heres hoping it does the trick.

thanks for all the input, guys.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

that sux esp the part about the hit & run. I hate it when folks don't take responsibility. I do have an idea of what will make you feel better tho...join us for a ride on some great MA back roads:

New England Fall Cruise 2016 - Mustang Evolution
This sounds awesome, and I dont head back(IF I dont decide to stay) until December so thats perfect. Thanks man!
Rookie

Garage
DANGIT, im sorry that happened man, even if it isnt much to fix, you still have to DEAL with fixing it. and pay money to fix something that some other person did and just left. ugh i hope it isnt much and i pray that it doesnt happen to me, i dont have any money to fix it lol.
Rookie

If applicable and worth the bother versus just paying it yourself, take a quick look around the accident area again - you'd be surprised by how many private security cameras catch traffic incidents.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

So it wasn't as bad as I'd thought. I'm taking it in Monday. 150 bucks roughly but most should be able to be buffed out, and the mirror, he said I could replace it, but given how it broke, they can also Epoxy it with no issues since it's plastic on plastic. Until Monday, to keep the mirror up, I just opened the door and used a black piece of gorilla tape and its doing the job.
5.0 Coyote likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page