• 1 Post By Old Goat Ninja
  • 1 Post By Siber Express
  • 1 Post By Old Goat Ninja
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hood/Fender Vents

I was wondering what people thought of hood or fender vents.

Increasing airflow in the engine bay sounds like a good idea to me; especially with a cold air intake installed. I thought about a ram air hood but vents seem to make more logical sense as that heat is going to have to get out of there somehow.

Cutting up the car scares me but panels can always be replaced! What do you guys think? Is it a smart thing to do in terms of performance and increasing engine life? Or is it useless on a V6 for anything other than aesthetics?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018
PONY Member

The GT's come with them, but they're heat extractors, they let heat out. I doubt there's any performance gains to be had from adding vents.

Beechkid likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
The GT's come with them, but they're heat extractors, they let heat out. I doubt there's any performance gains to be had from adding vents.
My thought is that more airflow => colder air in the engine bay => colder air in the intake => ??? => profit

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018
PONY Member

I get the logic, I just don't think it'll make enough of a different to make any type of performance benefit, too much heat soak. If you want true cold air intake, enclose the air element and run some inlet piping to somewhere outside the engine bay. I mean, you won't hurt performance, I just don't think it'll help enough to matter either.
Beechkid likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
I get the logic, I just don't think it'll make enough of a different to make any type of performance benefit, too much heat soak. If you want true cold air intake, enclose the air element and run some inlet piping to somewhere outside the engine bay. I mean, you won't hurt performance, I just don't think it'll help enough to matter either.
Fair enough! I like the idea of pulling air from somewhere else entirely, but it's hard to imagine making that work properly with looking ultra back-yard-mechanic. I guess that's what a ram hood it for anyway...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Believe it or not the stock air cleaner is already a CAI, it pulls the air from the grille.
The GT and GT500 use the holes in the hood to help with cooling and to keep the air flow above the car instead going underneath.
Beechkid likes this.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Believe it or not the stock air cleaner is already a CAI, it pulls the air from the grille.
The GT and GT500 use the holes in the hood to help with cooling and to keep the air flow above the car instead going underneath.
I believe it, and that's why I kept it Instead of buying an open air element CAI like 99% of them are on the market, I just put a new drop in filter and replaced the tube from air box to intake. That OEM plastic tube has a lot extra unnecessary plastic on it that disrupts air flow. You don't see all the extra weird crazy tubing until you take the OEM off though. Looks like a tube until it's removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4907.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	887.1 KB
ID:	604011  
Beechkid likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Letting heat out of the engine compartment is a good idea, even though it won't affect the intake air temperature if you are using the stock closed airbox.

But . . . I too would be hesitant to cut holes in my hood or fenders. Just because the thought of doing that pains me. Also, holes in the hood will let rain in. I like the idea of the fender vents, since they are on the side and won't let rain in, but not sure they really do much for letting heat out.
Beechkid likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I like the idea of the fender vents, since they are on the side and won't let rain in, but not sure they really do much for letting heat out.
I was curious about this as well; are fender vents just as efficient at letting heat out as hood vents? At a standstill obviously not, but while moving at speed I could see them working pretty well.

I guess the only thing to do would be to do both and do some sciencing.
Rookie

Old post I know but I have a 2014 I replace the fenders with truffiber fenders with vents molded in. I drive 50 miles to work each day. when I walk past the vents I can feel a lot of hot air coming out. My thought is it has to be doing some good to get that heat out of there.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11 Hours Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

hey Logan, thanks for the update!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in