Ford Mustang Forum banner

Hood/Fender Vents

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JBert 
#1 ·
I was wondering what people thought of hood or fender vents.

Increasing airflow in the engine bay sounds like a good idea to me; especially with a cold air intake installed. I thought about a ram air hood but vents seem to make more logical sense as that heat is going to have to get out of there somehow.

Cutting up the car scares me but panels can always be replaced! What do you guys think? Is it a smart thing to do in terms of performance and increasing engine life? Or is it useless on a V6 for anything other than aesthetics?

#4 ·
I get the logic, I just don't think it'll make enough of a different to make any type of performance benefit, too much heat soak. If you want true cold air intake, enclose the air element and run some inlet piping to somewhere outside the engine bay. I mean, you won't hurt performance, I just don't think it'll help enough to matter either.

Reactions: Beechkid
#6 ·
Believe it or not the stock air cleaner is already a CAI, it pulls the air from the grille.
The GT and GT500 use the holes in the hood to help with cooling and to keep the air flow above the car instead going underneath.

#7 ·
I believe it, and that's why I kept it :D Instead of buying an open air element CAI like 99% of them are on the market, I just put a new drop in filter and replaced the tube from air box to intake. That OEM plastic tube has a lot extra unnecessary plastic on it that disrupts air flow. You don't see all the extra weird crazy tubing until you take the OEM off though. Looks like a tube until it's removed.

Attachments

#8 ·
Letting heat out of the engine compartment is a good idea, even though it won't affect the intake air temperature if you are using the stock closed airbox.

But . . . I too would be hesitant to cut holes in my hood or fenders. Just because the thought of doing that pains me. Also, holes in the hood will let rain in. I like the idea of the fender vents, since they are on the side and won't let rain in, but not sure they really do much for letting heat out.

#9 ·
I like the idea of the fender vents, since they are on the side and won't let rain in, but not sure they really do much for letting heat out.
I was curious about this as well; are fender vents just as efficient at letting heat out as hood vents? At a standstill obviously not, but while moving at speed I could see them working pretty well.

I guess the only thing to do would be to do both and do some sciencing.

#10 ·
Old post I know but I have a 2014 I replace the fenders with truffiber fenders with vents molded in. I drive 50 miles to work each day. when I walk past the vents I can feel a lot of hot air coming out. My thought is it has to be doing some good to get that heat out of there.

#11 ·
hey Logan, thanks for the update!

Reactions: Logan541
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.