Stock mufflers rattle - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By turbobuick86
  • 2 Post By turbobuick86

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Stock mufflers rattle

2014 V6 with 40K miles. Completely stock.

Wife complains of rattle towards rear of car, I go out start the car, and can plainly hear an annoying rattle with car idling in the driveway. The mufflers are both rattling occasionally, not constantly. After a few minutes of scratching my head, I turn the AC off and presto!, the rattle completely stops. When the ac compressors kicks on and off, the rattle goes on and off. The initial extra load on the motor sends a vibration through the motor, through the head pipes, through the tailpipes and rattles the mufflers. The ac cycle, I'm guessing is 15-20 seconds?

Now I can rap the bottom of the muffler with my fist and they both rattle with the car not running. First of all, is this normal or are there loose baffles in both mufflers? $400 would get two replacement stock mufflers, but I need assurance this would fix the issue. Believe me when I say I've checked all the hangers, clamps, and assorted hardware. I'm leaning toward the mufflers are junk.

The motor idles at approx 650-700. I don't see any fluctuation with the AC on. I don't see an easy stop screw to adjust the idle, guessing it's all programmed. I was imagining another 100 rpm might cure the momentary vibration.

Everything about the car seems normal and it's really been a great car other than this weird issue. If you have any ideas or thought, I'd appreciate input.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

You might try to see what is actually rattling. Mine were hitting suspension and I slid the exhaust back by loosening the 2 clamps in the middle of the car where the mid pipe and the over axle pipe came together. Does not need much or at least mine didn't

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Siber. I've looked with lights, mirrors and other's eyes, the consensus is the mufflers are rattling. Suppose I could just yank one out and shake it on the assumption that an internal rattle isn't normal.
huberoy123 likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
You might try to see what is actually rattling. Mine were hitting suspension and I slid the exhaust back by loosening the 2 clamps in the middle of the car where the mid pipe and the over axle pipe came together. Does not need much or at least mine didn't

I finally took off drivers side muffler and it rattled like a can of marbles. Ordered a set of Ford Racing by Borla axle back mufflers.
huberoy123 and my89foxbody like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post
I finally took off drivers side muffler and it rattled like a can of marbles. Ordered a set of Ford Racing by Borla axle back mufflers.
I have the Borla Touring on mine, but the Ford racing are built for Ford so there is some difference. I have my stock mufflers downstairs, those are the ones that rattled but it was hitting the suspension on the left side. I think my car was bottomed out during a dealer transfer though, the case around the tank vent carbon canister was broken and shorted out about 70,000 miles and I know I never hit anything and it was hit on the bottom.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page