Even Ford can't identify this front end clunk! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ONEZ ST
  • 1 Post By beviking

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Even Ford can't identify this front end clunk!

I'm really hoping someone can help. For the last two years i've had this loud clunk in my front end as I'm coming to a stop, and when I start slowly letting off the brake to gently stop, i hear a loud front end clunk. I brought it to ford finally, and they looked, said he can't see anything at all under there. The front end is all tight, the LCA's looked fine, brakes and pads and rotors looked fine, and he had no idea. Their next step is to hook up a bunch of mics and listen to wear the noise is loudest, then take it from there, but i'm worrying that's going to be super costly at this point! i'm really hoping someone here has had this noise and can identify what's happening. in the video, it happens around the beginning once i'm slowing down as the wheels turned..and then again around 22 seconds once i come to a stop. please help!

(FYI it's the first set of clunks...the second that happens a few seconds after is the noisy ass trans as i'm shifting it back into reverse lol)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

IMHO, grab the sway bar end links, shake them hard with no weight on the wheel.....without gloves...I'll bet you will hear or feel a rattle in the upper sway bar link joint.....

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

ford tech did that yesterday on the lift in front of me...said they feel fine

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would start out with rotating tires and torquing the lug nuts at 60% and then final torque in a star pattern. Simply said because my jeep had a clicking noise like that and for whatever reason the noise started after a rotation and ended after a rotation. Your situation does not have the same condition, but the noise is similar.

Does the noise coincide with braking during a turn (brakes applied. Foot off brakes).

Does this happen with AC on and off? AC compressor cycling????

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

so, I've taken all wheels off before, didn't seem to do anything. torque them correctly too. it happens louder in a turn, yes, but will happen when braking straight too. as you let off the brakes, that's when you hear the noise. happens regardless of ac being on or off.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You very well may have a bad brake caliper or set of pads or clips. When did you last have the brakes serviced?.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
I think Onez is on the right track. If you have dual piston calipers and one piston is sticking a little, you'd get a sound like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

When you say you took it to Ford, do you mean you had the factory design engineers look at it or did you just drive it to a dealership?
If it's a dealership, try a different one, not all are equal.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

I’d pull the calipers, clean and re-lube the slides caliper slide pins. Then you can check to see if one of the pistons is hanging up too.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

'12 GT Premium, Race Red, 6spd, Roush 575SC, JLT Oil Catch Can, MGW shifter, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP Jounce kit, Steeda Adj UCA, Shaftmasters Aluminum DS, J&M Adj Panhard, UPR PH Brace, J&M LCA's, Black C stripe, 1/4 louvers, Boss spoiler w fogs, 19" staggered Chrome GT500's, MGP Caliper covers, 7 bar AM Grill, rear camera
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

hey guys, sorry i never replied...so ford said during high speed braking, they noticed pulsating in the brakes. they resurfaced my front rotors, replaced rear rotors, and replaced pads all the way around......and the noise stopped. i needed to do pads soon anyway, so i'm glad i did it. weird thing though, they said my rear pads were more worn than my fronts, but they're all OEM pads. not sure how that happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page