Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011 - 2014 V6 Mustang Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-v6-mustang-tech/)
-   -   [Beginner] Replacing rear shocks: marking? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-v6-mustang-tech/1082165-beginner-replacing-rear-shocks-marking.html)

hscai 08-12-2019 01:50 AM

[Beginner] Replacing rear shocks: marking?

I'm referring to the workshop manual: Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - fordrepair.info - 2011 Mustang Rear Suspension Shock absorber

So in steps 2 and 6, it mentions marking the shocks when vehicle is on level ground--so one can raise it to that level during replacement.

1. Why? What's the purpose of this?

2. How? The shock is stuck way in there; how can I get a proper reading on the old shock and transfer it to the new one?

Beechkid 08-12-2019 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=hscai;9242405]
So in steps 2 and 6, it mentions marking the shocks when vehicle is on level ground--so one can raise it to that level during replacement.QUOTE]

1. Why? What's the purpose of this?
I'm swagging this but, assuming we are dealing with gas shocks, this would establish the amount of load on the lower bolt which could in theory have extra load put on it impacting correct torque.....

2. How? The shock is stuck way in there; how can I get a proper reading on the old shock and transfer it to the new one?

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it! Just change em out.

Siber Express 08-12-2019 05:18 PM

I will go one past what Beechkid said, you jack the car up and put it on jack stands and the mark is where you jack the rear end back up to to remove the shocks and not have to fight with them.
Then just as Beechkid said.

07redstang 08-13-2019 12:39 AM

I support the vehicle with 2 jack stands under the rear end and remove the 2 tires. Then I remove the old shocks. I use 3 long tie wraps from end to end on the shocks and tighten them as needed to get the correct length to slip in the upper mount hole and get the lower bolt to line up. Once the bolt is in place I cut one of the ties and let the shock expand the rest of the way into the upper mounting hole. Then tighten everything up.

hscai 08-13-2019 08:58 PM

Thanks ya'll I'll give it a shot next week.

I'm open to more suggestions anytime!

DeadKevin 08-20-2019 10:37 PM

just change em out. I strongly suggest Strange Engineering adjustable-struts too obviously.