[Beginner] Replacing rear shocks: marking? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Siber Express
  • 2 Post By 07redstang

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

[Beginner] Replacing rear shocks: marking?

I'm referring to the workshop manual: Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - fordrepair.info - 2011 Mustang Rear Suspension Shock absorber

So in steps 2 and 6, it mentions marking the shocks when vehicle is on level ground--so one can raise it to that level during replacement.

1. Why? What's the purpose of this?

2. How? The shock is stuck way in there; how can I get a proper reading on the old shock and transfer it to the new one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019
BOSS Member

[QUOTE=hscai;9242405]
So in steps 2 and 6, it mentions marking the shocks when vehicle is on level ground--so one can raise it to that level during replacement.QUOTE]

1. Why? What's the purpose of this?
I'm swagging this but, assuming we are dealing with gas shocks, this would establish the amount of load on the lower bolt which could in theory have extra load put on it impacting correct torque.....

2. How? The shock is stuck way in there; how can I get a proper reading on the old shock and transfer it to the new one?

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it! Just change em out.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I will go one past what Beechkid said, you jack the car up and put it on jack stands and the mark is where you jack the rear end back up to to remove the shocks and not have to fight with them.
Then just as Beechkid said.
5.0 Coyote and Beechkid like this.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019
PONY Member

I support the vehicle with 2 jack stands under the rear end and remove the 2 tires. Then I remove the old shocks. I use 3 long tie wraps from end to end on the shocks and tighten them as needed to get the correct length to slip in the upper mount hole and get the lower bolt to line up. Once the bolt is in place I cut one of the ties and let the shock expand the rest of the way into the upper mounting hole. Then tighten everything up.
5.0 Coyote and Beechkid like this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks ya'll I'll give it a shot next week.

I'm open to more suggestions anytime!

Last edited by hscai; 08-14-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019
Rookie

just change em out. I strongly suggest Strange Engineering adjustable-struts too obviously.

'11 V6...all stock...I swear...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Hours Ago
Apprentice

Garage
I don't have much to add except this video I was viewing today. I've never done them, or know what you would mark or why but after doing the Swaybar links (front) last week, at 85k miles I thought I might consider at least doing rear shocks too (maybe next year) and started looking around.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 40 Minutes Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
I support the vehicle with 2 jack stands under the rear end and remove the 2 tires. Then I remove the old shocks. I use 3 long tie wraps from end to end on the shocks and tighten them as needed to get the correct length to slip in the upper mount hole and get the lower bolt to line up. Once the bolt is in place I cut one of the ties and let the shock expand the rest of the way into the upper mounting hole. Then tighten everything up.
Yup....same technique for me I just use bailing wire instead.....

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page