• 1 Post By David Young
  • 1 Post By David Young
  • 1 Post By JBert
  • 1 Post By Cobrajet67

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rear Wheels Uneven after Spacer Install

Hello, i do not know if this is the right place to post it, but i hope it is to avoid problems.
yesterday i went to a wheel shop and installed 3cm (1.25") wheen spacers all arround, it looks so good, but now, my rear left wheel is poking outside the fender, much more than the rear right wheel, it s very odd.
i went to an alignement shop near me and said it will take him about 4 5 hours and charge me 150$ to adjust or cut the "bar" on the rear to adjust and align the rear wheels, i have a 2012 Mustang v6 bone stock, nothing is done to it.

after some research some say that by default, the s197 mustang comes uneven to the left side.. so if anyone can help me it would be perfect !

regards.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_125554_1571133395584.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	488.7 KB
ID:	611845   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_125542_1571133425127.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	611847  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yep, it was always off center, but now you can see it -- because you used huge spacers and pushed the wheels/tires way out where it is very noticeable.

Either the shop is completely ignorant, or they are intentionally trying to over-charge you -- assuming you meant it is 4-5 hours plus $150 = about $600 total depending on their shop rate; if it is actually $150 total that is a real good deal, even though that isn't the best way to do it. The easier and cheaper fix, which you could do yourself it you are mechanically inclined, is to install an adjustable panhard bar; and adjust it back to center. Link below is one example of an adjustable panhard bar. This would also allow you to adjust it again if it isn't quite right, which you can't do if you cut and weld.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-p...-red-0514.html

On related topic, I hope the shop installed the right spacers and installed them correctly, because if they didn't, with that big a spacer, the wheels are close to falling off. Also check for rubbing on the tires, and if they are rubbing the fenders, stop driving before you cut through the tire/sidewall.

my89foxbody and Beechkid like this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

Last edited by JBert; 10-15-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019
PONY Member

Your wheel shop doesn't know very much, don't let them mess with anything. Go somewhere else. Since you paid someone to install wheel spacers I guess you don't have a place to work on your Mustang or lack the know how or tools? Not putting you down in any way....All you need is an adjustable panhard bar to even up the rear end. !00% factory my rear end was off center around 12mm. I lowered mine and now it is off by around 6mm. I didn't buy an adjustable panhard bar and will live with the 6mm off center, it's better than it was from the factory
Beechkid likes this.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019
PONY Member

Buy the adjustable panhard bar JBert gave you the link for. They are easy to install and adjust
Beechkid likes this.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
Would a narrower width spacer work on the wheel with the issue? Thanks.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
Would a narrower width spacer work on the wheel with the issue? Thanks.
yeah I guess it would . . . uneven spacers bothers me even more than even spacers, but I don't see why it would really be a problem
huberoy123 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My 2014 GT is not center either as others have already confirmed. It has a bone stock suspension also.
Why would you install spacers and especially spacers that wide? A friend installed spacers on his Jeep and they caused multiple problems with premature bearing wear, tire wear, and even getting the thing aligned was problematic. He took them off after 12k miles. I've also heard that it is wise to constantly check your lugs to make sure they haven't loosened up since the spacers can make that happen.
I would never put them on anything but that's just me.
my89foxbody likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
. . . .Why would you install spacers and especially spacers that wide? . . . . I would never put them on anything but that's just me.
I guess he wanted to push the wheels/tires out to the edges of the fenders, or beyond; apparently he likes that look, but without the cost of wider wheels and tires.

I won't use them either (except maybe a very thin one on the front if I ever go to 11" wheels, I hear it is needed for strut clearance) but that's just me, too . . . each to his own . . . I hope the shop knew what they were doing with the spacers, clearly they don't know much about adjustable panhard bars.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you everyone for your interest in helping me, well, i live in a country where car parts are very hard to get especially for Mustangs, and buying that bar will cost me over $500 to be shipped and taxed withoit the cost of installation.
initially i got the spacers for the looks, 3 cm front and back to give it a nice look, BUT, it did not turn out how i wanted it to... and the shop who installed the spacer did not clean or rub the surface for prep before the installation and the lugnuts are cheap, i m very scared that one of my wheels will fly off on the high way. i think i should just go and buy a set of larger wheels, but here stands another issue which is performance, bigger wheels causes the V6 to loose so much power and lower fuel economy, so yea.. HALP &#x1f602;

if i swap one of the spacers by a thiner one, would it cause any problems ?

left rear wheel 1" spacer
right rear wheel 1.25" spacer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_121208_1571695544644.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	530.7 KB
ID:	611929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_121235_1571695639702.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	611931  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3D14D View Post
Thank you everyone for your interest in helping me, well, i live in a country where car parts are very hard to get especially for Mustangs, and buying that bar will cost me over $500 to be shipped and taxed withoit the cost of installation.
initially i got the spacers for the looks, 3 cm front and back to give it a nice look, BUT, it did not turn out how i wanted it to... and the shop who installed the spacer did not clean or rub the surface for prep before the installation and the lugnuts are cheap, i m very scared that one of my wheels will fly off on the high way. i think i should just go and buy a set of larger wheels, but here stands another issue which is performance, bigger wheels causes the V6 to loose so much power and lower fuel economy, so yea.. HALP &#x1f602;

left rear wheel 1" spacer
right rear wheel 1.25" spacer

I don't see why not choose the wider wheels/tires combo. I've gone up to 10.5 with 305 on my v6. It is still slow, it still gives crappy 17mpg. I don't have it for the performance and fuel economy.
Def wouldn't put any spacers on it for the peace of mind, specially with those cheap lug nuts that you're already worried about
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3D14D View Post
Thank you everyone . . .
i live in a country where car parts are very hard to get especially for Mustangs, and buying that bar will cost me over $500 to be shipped and taxed withoit the cost of installation. . .
i m very scared that one of my wheels will fly off on the high way. . . .
i think i should just go and buy a set of larger wheels, but here stands another issue which is performance . . .
You're welcome . . . Oh I understand now -- the local cut-and-weld job might be less costly than ordering the new part from the US; but I would still hesitate to do that, since it is permanent and cannot be reversed.

I have not used spacers, but I'm pretty sure the thick spacers actually have extended studs in the spacer, and the spacer bolts on to the hub; if it is done right there should not be a problem, but I am not sure what they did. You "should" be able to use your original lug nuts, I am not sure why they changed them, if they are steel and they are not stripped, and the studs are long enough to get good engagement, then there should not be a big problem. But in any case, because of all this, spacers really aren't the best thing.

But if you are using spacers, a thinner one is better than a thicker one, so I don't see any bigger problem with using the 1" spacer on one wheel.

Wider tires won't reduce performance much if any. They might reduce your gas mileage just a little, might not be noticeable. If you are concerned about that, go with light-weight 18" wheels, Forgestar is a well known brand here in the states that makes fairly light wheels at reasonable prices. If the "offset" of the wheels is correct, it will make the tires fill the fenders like you wanted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page