Rear pinion seal leaking 35k'ish mi. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RedRebel13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Rear pinion seal leaking 35k'ish mi.

Before our first long ride in our new Mustang and while at a friends garage (Matt's Speed Shop in Hiram, Ga.) I had the chance to lift R.J. and get a good look underneath my (then) recent purchase. While in the air I also took this opportunity to narrow down the exact location of my rear clunking (which is content for another post.)
Instead and to my surprise what I had originally put off as a sloppy u-joint grease job (btw are her u-joint even greaseable?) I learned was in fact a worn and leaking pinion seal and it was significant all over the exhaust and even the UCA was covered in it.
The next day my friend had her back up on his lift and after replacing the seal and of course a full bottle plus a part of a second bottle of gear oil and additive for the limited slip along with a real thorough cleaning (all for a very reasonable friend/regular customer discount) I was off and running.

With more than 3k miles on her since, now I know it wasn't a modification here but she was repaired correctly and her belly is clean'er so I think we can call it "good"!
Red Rebel
See before picture:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_102447_1573659506026.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	574.6 KB
ID:	612243  
my89foxbody likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRebel13 View Post
Before our first long ride in our new Mustang and while at a friends garage (Matt's Speed Shop in Hiram, Ga.) I had the chance to lift R.J. and get a good look underneath my (then) recent purchase. While in the air I also took this opportunity to narrow down the exact location of my rear clunking (which is content for another post.)
Instead and to my surprise what I had originally put off as a sloppy u-joint grease job (btw are her u-joint even greaseable?) I learned was in fact a worn and leaking pinion seal and it was significant all over the exhaust and even the UCA was covered in it.
The next day my friend had her back up on his lift and after replacing the seal and of course a full bottle plus a part of a second bottle of gear oil and additive for the limited slip along with a real thorough cleaning (all for a very reasonable friend/regular customer discount) I was off and running.

With more than 3k miles on her since, now I know it wasn't a modification here but she was repaired correctly and her belly is clean'er so I think we can call it "good"!
Red Rebel
See before picture:
I had mine replaced as well at fewer miles than yours

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago
PONY Member

It seems to be a common problem. I always add a redi-sleeve when I repair one just for extra insurance. BTW our 06 leaked at 20k and the 07 leaked at 10k miles.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Mine went at 32,000. Make sure the vent is clean since that is part of the problem, vent plugs and the pinion seal is the weakest point.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page