Ford Mustang Forum banner

Rear pinion seal leaking 35k'ish mi.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Siber Express 
#1 ·
Before our first long ride in our new Mustang and while at a friends garage (Matt's Speed Shop in Hiram, Ga.) I had the chance to lift R.J. and get a good look underneath my (then) recent purchase. While in the air I also took this opportunity to narrow down the exact location of my rear clunking (which is content for another post.)
Instead and to my surprise what I had originally put off as a sloppy u-joint grease job (btw are her u-joint even greaseable?) I learned was in fact a worn and leaking pinion seal and it was significant all over the exhaust and even the UCA was covered in it.
The next day my friend had her back up on his lift and after replacing the seal and of course a full bottle plus a part of a second bottle of gear oil and additive for the limited slip along with a real thorough cleaning (all for a very reasonable friend/regular customer discount) I was off and running.

With more than 3k miles on her since, now I know it wasn't a modification here but she was repaired correctly and her belly is clean'er:) so I think we can call it "good"!
Red Rebel
See before picture:

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.