Rear Upper Bushing--Help! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Travis98146

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rear Upper Bushing--Help!

Hi all,

Finally got around to replace the rear shocks! What a learning experience...

After the trials, tribulations, and a lot of tears, I finished. Only to find I can't put a new top shock insulator+nut on! The rubber part was too thick for the bolt to reach the shock.

The part number for the insulator I got was AR3Z-18197-A. Comparing to the stock it was much thicker, but maybe that's because the old one's been squished down? I'm hoping I got the wrong part.

Anyway...any help would be appreciated!

(P.S. Anyone know of a tool that can hold the top of the rear shocks so it won't spin as I loosen the top bolt?)

EDIT:
Figured it out! The shock upper had a lip and it caught on the hole. Pushed the car around and it forced it in, leaving enough threading for the upper nut.

Tightening/loosening was greatly helped by a tool for that by Lisle.

Last edited by hscai; 12-03-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Not knowing what the top of your shock looks like, I'll make a SWAG here. If the top of the shock is a threaded bolt, you could align it into its location then jack up the rear axle to compress the upper bushing. This type of shock often has a flattened top that can be held with a special tool (or a pair of vise grips) while turning the hold down nut.

Beechkid and Jeremy Weigel like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019
PONY Member

When I installed my new shocks I found the stock bushings and nut from the old shocks would not work with the new ones. I used the ones supplied with the new shocks. Its easier if you compress the new shocks so that you can install the lower mounting bolt and then release them to go up into the upper mounting hole and seat the underside bushing. Then install the top bushing and nut.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019
PONY Member

Make sure the lower bushing is oriented so that the side with the "nipple" is faced up and seated in the mounting hole in the chassis.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Figured it out! The shock upper had a lip and it caught on the hole. Pushed the car around and it forced it in, leaving enough threading for the upper nut.

Tightening/loosening was greatly helped by a tool for that by Lisle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page