[NEWB] Is alignment necessary for stock? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Travis98146

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

[NEWB] Is alignment necessary for stock?

Hey y'all,

I know usually when you change out the strut/shocks, you'd do alignment.

But when I was wrenching on the jeezless thing I noticed there were nothing that could be adjusted

This is stock suspension. No CC plates, no adj. shocks/struts, no fancy springs. Just replaced with non-adjustable Ford performance package shocks/struts. Kept the stock springs.

So: is alignment necessary?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
More than likely not needed since you stayed stock height. as long as you put the arrows out on the strut mounts you should be fine. if you turn the arrows in (towards the engine) you can get a few degrees of camber ( + IIRC) but doing that puts undue stress on the strut mounts. only real adjustment is toe in/out via the tie rods. keep an eye on your tires for any abnormal wear. good luck

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
More than likely not needed since you stayed stock height. as long as you put the arrows out on the strut mounts you should be fine. if you turn the arrows in (towards the engine) you can get a few degrees of camber ( + IIRC) but doing that puts undue stress on the strut mounts. only real adjustment is toe in/out via the tie rods. keep an eye on your tires for any abnormal wear. good luck

Thanks man!

If I'm understanding you correctly, you mean rotating the strut mount 180 deg towards engine, right? Didn't think there'd be room for slight adjustments given it's locked by 4 bolts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If done perfectly maybe not, but in my experience nothing is ever done perfect so in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to do an alignment I mean heck any car driven on the road can use an alignment from time to time.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Is the price of an alignment equal to the price of 2 new tires? Or an accident? Better safe than sorry.
MustangLife likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019
BOSS Member

If you are talking about shock replacement...no......if we are talking about the struts.....only if you changed/replaced the spring or the assembly as a whole...… if you just replaced the strut cartridge only and kept the spring assembly, then no...no alignment is necessary.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Good point on it not hurting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
If you are talking about shock replacement...no......if we are talking about the struts.....only if you changed/replaced the spring or the assembly as a whole...… if you just replaced the strut cartridge only and kept the spring assembly, then no...no alignment is necessary.

Is this due to not changing the suspension geometry?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Springs sag over time which does change the geometry.. Are there alignment adjustments without CC plates?, the answer is yes there is... The two bolts at the bottom of the struts that go through the spindle will adjust camber. If needed a camber bolt kit can be used if more adjustment is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam_bolt.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	612569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustment.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	612571  

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

the only thing that is adjustable in the stock suspension is the toe -- unless you have reason to suspect that the tie rods might have been bent then there is no reason to think that it could have gone out of alignment

I guess some shops can get a little bit of adjustment out of the slop in the bolts, but normally they will not install camber bolts so there is not much they can do

you could have it checked but most likely they will just say "yep it's fine" or "it's out and there is nothing we can do" . . . you could call the alignment shop and ask them ahead of time to see if they will actually adjust anything (other than toe)

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
the only thing that is adjustable in the stock suspension is the toe -- unless you have reason to suspect that the tie rods might have been bent then there is no reason to think that it could have gone out of alignment

I guess some shops can get a little bit of adjustment out of the slop in the bolts, but normally they will not install camber bolts so there is not much they can do

you could have it checked but most likely they will just say "yep it's fine" or "it's out and there is nothing we can do" . . . you could call the alignment shop and ask them ahead of time to see if they will actually adjust anything (other than toe)
If a shop will not use a camber bolt kit then that would be a shop I wouldn't want to use. A reputable shop will align a vehicle with a bolt kit if it's needed. I agree that there are a lot of toe and go shops which is sad because they aren't doing any favors for anyone

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscai View Post
Good point on it not hurting.

Is this due to not changing the suspension geometry?
Correct...…………… if the tire wear is correct, then whatever condition the springs are in they are responding correctly to the alignment.....so all is good

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page