Please Help, coolant change disaster - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Check one more item. Check the fuel pump inertia switch. Be sure it isn't tripped.

I dont think my car has one? I looked in the driver side and it even says "fuel reset" but there are only 2 harnesses there.

I also checked the owner manual, weird....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	738.0 KB
ID:	612791   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	612793  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

This is odd. It's a safety feature. Your car should have one . Did you ever determine what that red light is that is in the first video?

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
This is odd. It's a safety feature. Your car should have one . Did you ever determine what that red light is that is in the first video?

Thats what I thought too, but looks like it doenst have it anymore. Red light is just a reflection of my interior lights. 2013 have red under leg lighting...
ONEZ ST likes this.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You might peel that panel back and see if it didn't fall off (which it shouldn't come off) or see if it isn't out of sight of the panel cutout.

Also some.off these used to be located in the trunk on the driver side.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Check one more item. Check the fuel pump inertia switch. Be sure it isn't tripped.
My thoughts exactly. I was going to ask where it was located and if he tried to reset it.

This video shows the/a location but several folks with 2013s posted comments about there being no button. One says its reset by the ECM.
youtube.com/watch?v=QxWPNE40eZ8

Last edited by scotmo; 01-06-2020 at 11:50 AM.
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Well, from what his owner's manual shows, it is reset by the ECM,,,, If a few more cycles doesn't reset it, the problem is elsewhere. I assume they still are putting the fuel pump driver in the trunk area somewhere? and then there was the TSB about the fuel pump wiring under the backseat that could get crushed and shorted out.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

I guess at this time I will just order new fuel pump. hopefully that will fix the issue.
Rookie

Garage
What a horror story. I was planning to do a Flush on mine too. I was checking replies on my old post about my lost mounting hardware on my Air Intake Resonator when I saw this.

I have a 13' GT [AT] BTW.

Prepping to do a complete coolant flush with these tools.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/snT7kBZXdumjxPrU9

If it was me. I'd scan for DTC first. I would start from there and back-probing to be really sure if its the fuel pump.

2013 Mustang GT AT
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I still have a feeling it might be some fail-safe somewhere that needs to be reset. Seems like that fuel pump reset might be on the right track, but I'm afraid that replacing the fuel pump might be a tangent. I still don't understand how a fuel pump failure would be triggered by running the car without full cooling system, and it seems like an unlikely coincidence.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Apprentice

Garage
Humor me, but did you try jump starting it?
It probably would make no difference but the reason I ask is because of a fluke I encountered a month or so ago. I was checking the front brakes on my 2015 Fusion. I had it on jack stands and wanted to spin the wheel so I could see the rotor turn. I had to tak it out of park which required turning the key to on. When I was done I started the car and remebered it wasn't in park so I shut it off, put it in park and attemped to start it again. Nothing! A couple clicks. Tried on/off a couple times and at one point saw something like "no key recognized." I thought I'd erased the key so I got the spare out, same thing. Ok I figured I disconnect the battery like you had and reconnect to see if that helped, it didn't (there's a longer version about how I dropped the 10mm bolt that connected the cable to the terminal, had to remove the splash shield to look for it and not find it and run to the hardware store for a replacement). Anyway, I had about given up and was ready to call a tow truck to take it to the shop when I thought, what the heck. I pulled the Mustang along side it, connected the cables, and it started right up. This battery is only 2 years old and I had no indication of a problem before that and it has had 0 issues or hard starts since. I don't know what I did but the jump seemed to remedy it after everything else failed.
my89foxbody and Nhoy like this.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for your input. I will try it tonight and see what happens. Will update everyone later
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotmo View Post
Humor me, but did you try jump starting it?
It probably would make no difference but the reason I ask is because of a fluke I encountered a month or so ago. I was checking the front brakes on my 2015 Fusion. I had it on jack stands and wanted to spin the wheel so I could see the rotor turn. I had to tak it out of park which required turning the key to on. When I was done I started the car and remebered it wasn't in park so I shut it off, put it in park and attemped to start it again. Nothing! A couple clicks. Tried on/off a couple times and at one point saw something like "no key recognized." I thought I'd erased the key so I got the spare out, same thing. Ok I figured I disconnect the battery like you had and reconnect to see if that helped, it didn't (there's a longer version about how I dropped the 10mm bolt that connected the cable to the terminal, had to remove the splash shield to look for it and not find it and run to the hardware store for a replacement). Anyway, I had about given up and was ready to call a tow truck to take it to the shop when I thought, what the heck. I pulled the Mustang along side it, connected the cables, and it started right up. This battery is only 2 years old and I had no indication of a problem before that and it has had 0 issues or hard starts since. I don't know what I did but the jump seemed to remedy it after everything else failed.

Unfortunately that didnt work. the car was cranking much faster but still didnt start. Not sure what other options I have left...
PONY Member

Garage
I know most if not all cars will stop pumping, and some may not start pumping fuel until the ECM receives a signal from the crank position sensor that the crankshaft is rotating.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
I know most if not all cars will stop pumping, and some may not start pumping fuel until the ECM receives a signal from the crank position sensor that the crankshaft is rotating.

so how do I check/fix that?
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drukkosz View Post
Unfortunately that didnt work. the car was cranking much faster but still didnt start. Not sure what other options I have left...
Sorry. I didn't think it would but it was worth checking. Lastly, and this probably is a no brainer too but I'm going to ask the obvious. Are you sure there's gas in the tank?

Hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in