Joined: Jan 2016
Location: Battle Ground WA
Help! Strange noise from passenger side footwell area
I'm having a small (I hope) problem with my 2012 stang.
I noticed this a couple months ago, but it was so infrequent that I thought little of it. Though now its starting to become a little more common. Should probably address it now in case its something actually serious.
I do not have any definitive statements yet- everything is currently sheer coincidence and as such, I cannot replicate the problem on command.
From what seems to be the footwell area of the passenger side, I am getting this strange noise. This noise sounds similar to pouring a bag of dry uncooked rice into a plastic container from a foot up. I realize that is a very strange description of the sound, but its not a click, its not a whine, its not a tap, it literally reminds me of a raintube with the dry beans/rice in it.
Anyways, I occationally get that sound.
1. Its always from that same location.
2. So far, Its only ever happened when I am accelerating from a dead stop.
3. So far, I've only noticed it while also making a right hand turn. (Plus what I said in #2)
4. So far, its only happened when the heat is on.
5. No engine light on.
6. Engine sounds fine when running.
7. Steering feels normal.
8. When it does happen, it seems to happen mostly when the car is still cold. Like, within the first mile of driving.
9. On days when the sound does occur, the first time it sounds, its quite loud. Usually it will do it a couple more times between then and my destination. Each sequential time it sounds it is quieter.
10. May or may not matter, but recently my air pressure blowing out of the vents into the cabin seems a tad weaker.
As I said, I cannot force re-create this sound or whatever. And it seems to be random. Drove home from work today and it was fine. Drove to work yesterday morning and it was fine. So if its cold related, its inconsistent still. If its heater related, its still inconsistent because i have the heat on every morning.
Any ideas guys?