Auto Headlights Option (after the fact) for my 2011 Mustang V6 Premium? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Requested pictures you ask, cool. A few night shots with and without the fog lights on.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium
Sterling Gray Metallic, Charcoal Black
Automatic, 2.73 Rear
Comfort Package, Camera
AM/BAMA 93R Tune, K&N Drop-In, Roush Axle Back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Auto headlights V-6 Answer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
Anyone know how hard it would be to add the Auto headlights option to a V6 Premium? This is driving the wife and I NUTS. I still cannot believe it did not come with it. I would think most of the stuff is there already???
Hey,
I know exactly what you mean! I purchased a 2010 Mustang V-6 and could not believe they did not add this feature. I took a chance and called Ford dealership and ordered (Auto headlight switch) part for around $35. You will need to ask for the part that fits GT model (not sure model #). When I got home, I pried square display off from bottom with flat head. It came right out. Then there are little clips hold actual round switch in place. Unplug and push it out towards front. Plug in new switch and it will work. I am thrilled that I did this. It would have been so simple for Ford to have done this. Good Luck!

Jim

Beast3.7

I got my auto lamp switch with the aftermarket foglight kit and couldn't be happier.

Rookie

There is a solution! V-6 Auto Headlights

For all the 2010-2011 Mustang V-6 owners out there, there is a solution. I too was tired of manually turning headlight switch on each time it got dark. I called Ford dealership and asked is "auto heeadlight switch" could be added to stock V-6 model. The guy replied, " I really don't know." Well I took the chance and purchased the $35 auto headlight switch for 2010 Mustang GT and took it home. It takes less than 10 minutes to do this. Carefully pry off complete headlight case from bottom with flathead screwdriver.It comes out very easily. Then there are 3 little push tabs holding round switch in place. Disconnect plug and Push round switch out towards you. Replace plug into new module then turn switch to auto position. It works as simple as that! I can't figure out why Ford did not just give us this one! It will make you smile big time after installation is complete! Good Luck!
GT Member

All you need is the switch itself. The sensor is already in the dash. The fog lights are a nice bonus but don't need to spend $340 for the whole fog light kit.

Displacement makes you complacent
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mustang10 View Post
For all the 2010-2011 Mustang V-6 owners out there, there is a solution. I too was tired of manually turning headlight switch on each time it got dark. I called Ford dealership and asked is "auto heeadlight switch" could be added to stock V-6 model. The guy replied, " I really don't know." Well I took the chance and purchased the $35 auto headlight switch for 2010 Mustang GT and took it home.

What's the Ford part number for this "auto headlight switch"?
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangMods View Post
Do you currently have foglamps on your car now? The reason I ask is because we offer a foglight kit that enables the auto headlamp feature. It comes with the switch from Ford and no other electronics are required to get the auto headlamp feature to work. You can check out the foglight kit on our site : 2010 V6 Mustang Foglamp Upgrade Kit.

Let us know if you have any questions.
I may end up purchasing this down the road, but for now I think I will spend the $35 cash and purchase the "auto" light switch.

My G6 GT had the auto-light feature, and I got so spoiled to it, that I hate, hate, HATE having to manually fiddle with any extra "buttons" every time I turn the car on/off at night.

I just want to start the car, select my music, and GO.

Edit: After some part searching, I believe the part number we are looking for is...

(SW-6659)

Headlight Switch
With Automatic Headlamp Control; Black
$39.02

That's the dealership price. However, I was able to find it for half the cost here using the same part:

Car Part Wholesale - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - Headlight Switch For 2010 Ford Mustang GT 8 Cyl 4.6L

I might pull the trigger and order it. See how it goes.

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
Rookie

i feel if you go to your dealer they will install it. it might be a lil pricey now that it is after the fact bbut it is def worth it cause i have it on my v6 and couldnt be any happier
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joee917 View Post
i feel if you go to your dealer they will install it. it might be a lil pricey now that it is after the fact bbut it is def worth it cause i have it on my v6 and couldnt be any happier
I noticed you've posted a lot of "common sense" and mostly garble in the past 5 minutes.

Not to bash on you, if your posting with good intentions, thats fine and all...but what's with the sudden registration and flood of posts?

GT Member

Just placed my order at Auto Parts and Discount Truck Parts at Car Parts Wholesale.com for the headlight switch. I'm hoping its the right one... We'll see in a few days!

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
Just placed my order at Auto Parts and Discount Truck Parts at Car Parts Wholesale.com for the headlight switch. I'm hoping its the right one... We'll see in a few days!
BEST $20 I've ever spent! The switch was spot-on!! Took only 3 minutes to pop out the old switch, and put in the new one. Works like a champ. No more remembering/forgetting to switch the lights on during dusk/dawn (I was spoiled with my last car.)

GT Member

The SW-6659 part did add auto headlights for us. Pretty simple install. There are two screws holding on a cover below the steering wheel. That cover covers the single screw holding on the headlight switch housing. After you remove the screws to the cover, there are two "clips" that release if you pull on the cover. I did NOT completely remove the cover, just enough to get to the single screw that holds the switch housing. Take that screw out and unplug one electrical connector and the original switch can be removed. You have to depress 3 fingers on the old switch so it can be removed thru the front of the housing. They can be depressed one at a time as long as you don't let one you already pushed thru snap back while you are doing the next one. Oh, the "screws" (term used in the service manual) are 7mm hex heads.

Great upgrade for just a few bucks. Thanks to the one who posted the part number.

BTW, when you unplug the original switch, the headlights come on, so don't plan to go to lunch between that and plugging in the new switch.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier-Daddy View Post
The SW-6659 part did add auto headlights for us. Pretty simple install. There are two screws holding on a cover below the steering wheel. That cover covers the single screw holding on the headlight switch housing. After you remove the screws to the cover, there are two "clips" that release if you pull on the cover. I did NOT completely remove the cover, just enough to get to the single screw that holds the switch housing. Take that screw out and unplug one electrical connector and the original switch can be removed. You have to depress 3 fingers on the old switch so it can be removed thru the front of the housing. They can be depressed one at a time as long as you don't let one you already pushed thru snap back while you are doing the next one. Oh, the "screws" (term used in the service manual) are 7mm hex heads.

Great upgrade for just a few bucks. Thanks to the one who posted the part number.

BTW, when you unplug the original switch, the headlights come on, so don't plan to go to lunch between that and plugging in the new switch.
I think I replaced mine the not-so-correct way by getting a very thin philips in there, and wedged the thing out without unscrewing anything.

However, I DO have the fog light kit sitting right here next to me, and with that, I have a spare headlight switch. I'm willing to sell one for $20 shipped if anyone wants to do the auto-headlight mod.

I'll be installing my foglights either tomorrow or saturday. Along with a few other things (purchased a sub, and some decals!)

PONY Member

Just installed the auto-headlight switch very easy to install and the steps do work. I have mine on about a 3-4 second delay

2011 FORD MUSTANG 3.7L 3726cc 227cid V6 FI (M) [99M] MOTORCRAFTSW6659Headlight Switch$ 20.99$ 0.001$ 20.99
Copied this from another thread on how to get the auto lights to function.

NOTE: The time delay can be programmed through the message center using the message center buttons (if equipped) or using the following steps.

NOTE: Steps 2 through 5 must be carried out within a 10-second period.

1. Start with the ignition switch off and the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position.

2. Place the headlamp switch in the OFF position.

3. Place the ignition switch in the RUN position.

4. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.

5. Place the headlamp switch in the AUTOLAMPS ON position. The exterior lamps turn on at this point.

6. Wait the desired amount of time and place the headlamp switch in the OFF position (maximum of 3 minutes). The exterior lamps turn off and the autolamp time delay is now set.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

the v-6 premium with option 202a, and 203a, have auto head lamps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page