Auto Headlights Option (after the fact) for my 2011 Mustang V6 Premium? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Beast3.7

We know this, it's the base premium model we're talking about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
We know this, it's the base premium model we're talking about.
FWIW the OP was actually talking about a base model.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing
Beast3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
Anyone know how hard it would be to add the Auto headlights option to a V6 Premium? This is driving the wife and I NUTS. I still cannot believe it did not come with it. I would think most of the stuff is there already???
I'm thinking he is referring to a premium, not a base. When I say "base premium" I'm talking about the model that is not the MCA or pony package. I believe Gizmo has the same version I have.

Rookie

Installation Instructions

I just did this mod and wanted to pass on how to do it. For the 2011 base V6 model (and probably all others) all you need is a 7mm nut driver and the SW6659 part from Motorcraft.

1. Locate the two 7mm hex nuts on the plastic panel under the steering column and remove both.

2. Carefully remove the plastic panel the nuts from step 1 were securing.

3. After the panel is removed locate the one 7mm hex nut to the left of the steering column that is securing the message center button and light switch housing. Remove the single 7mm nut and carefully remove the housing.

4. Unplug the wiring harness from the back of the light switch and locate the three tabs that secure the light switch in the housing. Push each tab in and remove the headlight switch.

5. Installation of the SW6659 is the reverse of removal of the stock part. Enjoy
Rookie

is the entire part black on black? I have an all black base interior and some photos show black dial but tan surrounding..

2013 Black 101A V6 3.31 MT82

2011 Ingot Silver 101A V6 2.73 Auto - First Car. Gone but not forgotten.

Selling:
2011+ Premium Steering Wheel (Still in shrink wrap)
2011 OEM Leather Take-Off
2011-2012 Magnaflow Competition Axle-Back
BOSS Member

The whole thing is black just like your original with an extra click.
Rookie

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but will this switch work with a 2012 V6?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama123 View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but will this switch work with a 2012 V6?
yup. i did it, works like a charm

2012 v6 white, base, performance package, borla ATAKs, 4 alpine type s speakers, 35% tint
GT Member
V6 Member

I never use 'em. I know when to turn on the damn lights myself.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
Apprentice

Garage
Cant you just buy a switch online that has the auto, like AM sell the fog lights kits with the auto switch.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelman79 View Post
I just did this mod and wanted to pass on how to do it. For the 2011 base V6 model (and probably all others) all you need is a 7mm nut driver and the SW6659 part from Motorcraft.

1. Locate the two 7mm hex nuts on the plastic panel under the steering column and remove both.

2. Carefully remove the plastic panel the nuts from step 1 were securing.

3. After the panel is removed locate the one 7mm hex nut to the left of the steering column that is securing the message center button and light switch housing. Remove the single 7mm nut and carefully remove the housing.

4. Unplug the wiring harness from the back of the light switch and locate the three tabs that secure the light switch in the housing. Push each tab in and remove the headlight switch.

5. Installation of the SW6659 is the reverse of removal of the stock part. Enjoy
I just installed mine an hour ago and it didn't require any tools. The panel around the switch pops out. All you need to do is apply slight pressure to all corners and it will come out. Unplug the wire harness, remove switch via tabs and pop new one in. That easy...

2012 Kona Blue 3.7L - 6MT - 2.73 - Reverse Sensing/Security Package - Airaid CAI - SCT Tuner w/stock tune - FRPP Sport Axleback - GT Premium Steering Wheel - JLT Oil Separator
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarza83 View Post
Cant you just buy a switch online that has the auto, like AM sell the fog lights kits with the auto switch.
Just search for the part number SW6659 online and purchase from a site that you prefer. I bought mine off ebay for $27 with free shipping.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7L - 6MT - 2.73 - Reverse Sensing/Security Package - Airaid CAI - SCT Tuner w/stock tune - FRPP Sport Axleback - GT Premium Steering Wheel - JLT Oil Separator
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs-R-me View Post
Per the Order Guide, "Auto Headlamps" are std. on ALL 2011 GT's including base model.

It does seem silly that they tied this feature into the Pony / MCA pkg rather than making it std. on all Premium V6.

But, it may have something to do with the Fog Lamps (std. GT) ... possibly Ford does not have a headlamp switch w/ Auto Lamp but w/o Fogs.

This is my 1st car with this feature. When I've driven other peoples cars with it in the past, I always turned it off as it anoyed me.

Doug
All the cars that have the switch also have foglights or the capability for them. If they included this on all Mustangs, including the foglight-less V6s, many owners likely would be complaining that their nonexistent fog lights weren't working. It'd have been only 2 months after the first 3.7L hit the ground before some tool tried "fixing" his missing fog lights only to end up setting his Mustang on fire. And then he'd be here or some other forum blaming Ford for everything while trying to sue them.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tang View Post
I just installed mine an hour ago and it didn't require any tools. The panel around the switch pops out. All you need to do is apply slight pressure to all corners and it will come out. Unplug the wire harness, remove switch via tabs and pop new one in. That easy...

not sure how you did that bc the bottom of my pannel was screwed in with the 7mm hex nut?

2012 v6 white, base, performance package, borla ATAKs, 4 alpine type s speakers, 35% tint
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rider View Post
not sure how you did that bc the bottom of my pannel was screwed in with the 7mm hex nut?
The panel doesn't have to be fully removed to access the switch. Getting the two tabs up top to come out will allow you to tilt the panel just enough to replace switch. I was able to pry it out with my finger tips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page