Automatic Shifter LEATHER upgrade - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Automatic Shifter LEATHER upgrade

While it's simple to find an aftermarket or OEM leather wheel and manual shifter to replace the plastic OEM equipment in the base V6 and GT, upgrading the automatic shifter is not talked about too often.

I've been able to identify the OEM part # for the leather covered shifter from the premium package with the help of Steve from Tousley Ford.

Part # -- Br3z7213ba
Price - $59

SOunds like a reasonable price.

Has anyone done this mod and is it simple to do? Alternative part sources?

Thanks.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I'm necroposting as I'd love to hear whether or not anyone was able to swap their base shifter with the premium one.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
Banned

****, good idea. Why didnt i do this yet lol

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
Rookie

is this a big deal really?

I haven't been in a premium one in a while, but from the pics, it doesn't look very different.

I just did the steering wheel, and that makes a HUGE difference. I really have no idea why ford wouldn't have done that from the start on GTs. at least on the GT, a performance car, it should have a nice wheel

2012 White Mustang GT
GT500 Axlebacks, blacked out headlights
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Well when you've swapped your base seats out for the black and white stitched leather, and you have a black and white stitched leather GT500 steering wheel swapped in too, wouldn't you want to pay $60 to get the shifter as well? It would just complete the look.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
Rookie

Garage
I have done this swap in my 2011 was'nt to bad at all the only hard part is getting the wiring for the hill assist button that was a B***h to get plugged back in the rest was easy took me less then an hour plug and all and I did it for the same reason upgraded to leather everywhere else so wanted it to match

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Where did you find directions/write up? Or did you just figure it out yourself?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013
Banned

This is odd. My BASE '14 came with a leather and satin aluminum shifter. Is there a nicer one you guys are talking about?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013
Rookie

Garage
was easy to figure out really but you may find a video or something on you tube the 2011 base came with a hard rubber shifter so needed to upgrade

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

This thread doesn't apply to 13-14 models. They come with a different shifter entirely that includes select shift. 11-12's have a T-shift (no select shift) that is made of textured rubber or stitched leather.

Are any special tools needed for the install?

Rookie

Garage
No special tools a small flat blade to work the chrome piece down under the shifter and a small allen wrench to remove the screw holding it on after you drop the chrome trim down remove the console plate first and you will see how it works

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
This thread doesn't apply to 13-14 models. They come with a different shifter entirely that includes select shift. 11-12's have a T-shift (no select shift) that is made of textured rubber or stitched leather.

Are any special tools needed for the install?
Ohhh... Makes sense. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page