Bigger wheels make you slower, decreased gas mileage - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
Perfect example. Probably right, but who wants to drive around with a gay looking 17" wheel.
Haha! From the guy who is preoccupied with size... Too funny! Agreed though, the 17s look too small. Give me some 18" ultraleggera or ultra light wheels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Thanks for the post. I am happy with my performance package 19s.

2012 Performance Package V6 MT82
MODS- FRPP Sport axle back, Lethal Off/road X-pipe, Air Raid CAI, SCT Tuner BAMA 93R tune, 20% tint, Leather seat installed, Joe Heck Short shifter and bushing, Steeda Shift knob with billet collar, 4 6X8 kicker speakers.
Soon to come- Alum driveshaft, Interior Lighting, louvers, GT/CS front end, some kind of forced induction.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Seems to me the only ones who should really be that concerned about fuel economy are those running stock gear ratios. Otherwise, the MPG's are probably already breached and it becomes more a concern of straight-light performance.

There are nearly feather-light wheels out there but they cost more than probably most of us are willing to lay down on any setup, and I'm not sure how safe they are for street use.

Shop around and use the old noodle. Be willing to accept some kind of a compromise in any situation.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Anyone who would even consider putting 22" wheels on their Mustang should have the car taken away from him, his license suspended for life and get b*tch slapped!
:shiny: :nogrinner :shiny:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang-on-26-inch-wheels.jpg
Views:	3305
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	135951   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang enormous wheels.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	135952   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang huge blingy wheels.jpg
Views:	3582
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	135953   Click image for larger version

Name:	wagon-wheels-on-suv-shopped-or-not.png
Views:	1154
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	135954  
JeffOden

Shop around and use the old noodle. Be willing to accept some kind of a compromise in any situation.[/quote]

Yes, almost everything in life is a bit of a compromise. Unless your one of those idiots in your pictures!! Hilarious...
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOden View Post
Shop around and use the old noodle. Be willing to accept some kind of a compromise in any situation.

Yes, almost everything in life is a bit of a compromise. Unless your one of those idiots in your pictures!! Hilarious...
I beg to differ... They DID compromise... Their DIGNITY as self-respecting men.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

This one is actually pretty cool!

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hopped-not.png

JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Probably my favorite too Curt, but I'm pretty sure that one was photo shopped.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Probably my favorite too Curt, but I'm pretty sure that one was photo shopped.
Well, if so then they did a damn good job of it!

Wish it was a lot bigger pic though.

11Red3.7

Bump.
After reading Grabber 3.7's poll, I think this thread deserved a bump.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
Perfect example. Probably right, but who wants to drive around with a gay looking 17" wheel.
Hey, hey, hey now!!! My stock 17" ers resemble that remark !! Hopefully next year, or whenever these low rolling resistance energy saver tree hugger tires wear out, some nice 18" wheels will be in my future!!

2011 "Cyclone" V6 Premium MT82 6sp "Michelle"
Factory 3.31 Ratio - 35% Tint- Bama 93 Hybrid Tune - FRPP Sport Exhaust - BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers- Air Raid CAI- TSW Nurburgring 19X8.5- Sumitomo HTR Z III 245/45-19
[email protected], Best Trap speed 103.50 before
[email protected], Best Trap speed 103.52 after headers
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I saw an "Old Skool" '57 Chevy rolling on 13's a few days ago. Didn't think anyone was keeping that old tradition alive anymore.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I read this article in car and driver back in March(April Issue), they did a good test on the affects of buying bigger wheels for your car.
A lot of people are trying to squeeze out those extra 1/10ths of a second, and better gas mileage in their stangs, and need to understand what those chrome 22 inch wheels do to performance.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
JeffOden, I've heard that gas mileage is only affected negatively by larger tires, if you are also using a JLT intake at the same time.... can you comment on the validity of this? :kooky:

This post is not factual, so if your not JeffOden, ignore me

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
I saw an "Old Skool" '57 Chevy rolling on 13's a few days ago. Didn't think anyone was keeping that old tradition alive anymore.
Back in the day I had an 89 Accord DX with 13's, didn't seem so bad at the time. But now days that would be taking the lighter/faster/better mileage thing too far.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowstangguy View Post
Hey, hey, hey now!!! My stock 17" ers resemble that remark !! Hopefully next year, or whenever these low rolling resistance energy saver tree hugger tires wear out, some nice 18" wheels will be in my future!!
I agree. The 17s are fine until the factory rubber is bald. My plan is to get the 18x9 Black Magnums from AM with some 255/50-18s to match the current overall dia of 28". My theaory says that the decreased side wall should help with handling and breaking but the increased tread width will probably reduce MPGs.

Last edited by Kona Rocket; 02-08-2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page