Bigger wheels make you slower, decreased gas mileage - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
JeffOden

Bigger wheels make you slower, decreased gas mileage

I read this article in car and driver back in March(April Issue), they did a good test on the affects of buying bigger wheels for your car.
A lot of people are trying to squeeze out those extra 1/10ths of a second, and better gas mileage in their stangs, and need to understand what those chrome 22 inch wheels do to performance.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
PONY Member

Really, as far as bigger wheels go, its not the fact they are bigge but that they are heavier. You are looking at two different aspects. The first being rotational inertia and relating directly th wheel and tire weight as well as where that weight is located. The second being rolling and aerodymanic reistance which is related to tire compound, outside diameter and tread width.

2011 F150 XLT 4x4 5.0L
1996 Mustang GT/5spd/convertible - PI Cams, PI Intake, Bassani OR X pipe, Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers, C&L plenum with 75mm TB, K&N FIPK, Hella FF75 foglamps, 2003/04 Cobra A-arms...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
MACH I Member

Tire series also plays a huge role as well. It's all about weight of the wheel/tire, diameter (with tire on) and width. The perfect combination is a lightweight wide wheel (in the rear) with low profile tires. Less sidewall flex & weight with the low pros, better grabbing with the wider wheels and the smaller diameter with the tire on allows for more efficient bwhp transferred to the ground.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck268 View Post
Really, as far as bigger wheels go, its not the fact they are bigge but that they are heavier. You are looking at two different aspects. The first being rotational inertia and relating directly th wheel and tire weight as well as where that weight is located. The second being rolling and aerodymanic reistance which is related to tire compound, outside diameter and tread width.
Exactly! That's what the article explains to those who didn't already understand. But the title "The first being rotational inertia and relating directly th wheel and tire weight as well as where that weight is located. The second being rolling and aerodymanic reistance which is related to tire compound, outside diameter and tread width." Wouldn't fit in the little title space.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
PONY Member

Are these too big?

‪Wheels too Big?‬‏ - YouTube

If they reduce the turn radius... they are too big.
If they impact the fuel economy in a negative way... they are too big.
If they impact the handling in a negative way... they are too big.
If they increase the braking distance... they are too big.
If they increase unsprung mass... they are too big.
If they increase rotational inertia... they are too big.
If they contribute to a harsher ride... they are too big.
Those rims are too big.

QTD piwright42 youtube lol
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Anyone who would even consider putting 22" wheels on their Mustang should have the car taken away from him, his license suspended for life and get b*tch slapped!

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Anyone who would even consider putting 22" wheels on their Mustang should have the car taken away from him, his license suspended for life and get b*tch slapped!
Agreed, 19s is as big as you should go, anything more is just over the top and hurts performance.

1984 V6 LX premium - donated to charity
2011 V6 Vert premium - 91s bama tune, 19" drag wheels, back deck and front emblem blackout, hood spears
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitellius View Post

If they reduce the turn radius... they are too big.
If they impact the fuel economy in a negative way... they are too big.
If they impact the handling in a negative way... they are too big.
If they increase the braking distance... they are too big.
If they increase unsprung mass... they are too big.
If they increase rotational inertia... they are too big.
If they contribute to a harsher ride... they are too big.
Those rims are too big.

QTD piwright42 youtube lol
Everyone needs to make a compromise at some point in some of these areas depending upon what they're looking for. The fuel economy factor is tied mainly to rolling resistance and less to weight. You decrease rolling resistance typically with a narrower tire/wheel combo in addition to making the tire compound harder.

An easy examle.The Performance Package tire/wheel combo has a higher rolling resistance and even an increased rotational mass yet it brakes better, handles better, accelerates faster etc. I could throw pizza cutters on my v6 today and break the records for highest mpg on a v6 Mustang but my handling, braking and acceleration will suck monkey butt. I think it's best to look at it from the "diminishing returns" point of view. There comes a point where you're tire is beyond your vehicles capabilities when it comes to handling and power. Once you reach that point you start to negate all of the benefits you're trying to obtain.

The article is a good one. It does a good job of explaining some areas that people often ignore as they're trying to quench their thirst for speed.

Displacement makes you complacent
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011
PONY Member

Heavier wheels can increase braking distances too. I moved up to 17" rims from stock 15" rims on my '96 MX-6 while keeping the same overall diameter. The 17s were 9 pounds lighter than the 15s. Handling improved, mileage stayed to same, and braking was better with the bigger tread. I see a lot of people who did not research wheel weights nor try to match overall diameter and end up with cv joints going bad quickly, decreased performance, etc...

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
An easy examle.The Performance Package tire/wheel combo has a higher rolling resistance and even an increased rotational mass yet it brakes better, handles better, accelerates faster etc.
In the book 'All Corvettes are Red,' they discuss the huge battle in the development of that car because the engineers in charge of performance demanded the smallest diameter aluminum wheel that cleared the brakes and market research demanded a larger diameter wheel.

I am relatively certain that a wide 17 inch wheel with appropriate rubber could out perform those 19s.

Certainly an 18 inch wheel (where there is a huge selection of max performance summer tires) could do the job too.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jlawrence613
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandaddy View Post
Agreed, 19s is as big as you should go, anything more is just over the top and hurts performance.

Why do all these performance cars come with 20"s?

2007-2012 Super Snake
2005-2009 Shelby Terlingua
2012 Roush Stage 3
2011 Saleen S302
2010 Saleen S281
2012 SMS 302

Grabber Blue 2011 V6 Premium A6 Coupe Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, BBK Longtube Headers w/ O/R Xpipe, Steeda CAI, Dynomax 2.5" Ultra Flo Catback, Boss302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 '10 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555 Next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Al Driveshaft, . Styling: 15% Tint, Black Spoiler, Decklid Panel, & Grille Surround. Chin Spoiler, Hood Spears

Best to Date - 13.212 @ 105.79 - Uncorrected
MACH I Member

Because looks sell. Also, forged wheels nearly take out the weight factor, and often times is lighter to go bigger wheels than bigger tires.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member

Good read, thanks. I like the 18s that come with the MCA package and have no plans to change them. While I like the big wheels with low profile tires, the price alone makes me just appreciate them on some other vehicles. On a performance car, this article clearly makes them even less desirable.

2011 3.7L Premium 6A, MCA Package, Comfort & Security Package

Performance Mods: 3.73 Rear Gears, Airaid CAI, BAMA 87 Street Tune

Aesthetic Mods: 20% Tint
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
I am relatively certain that a wide 17 inch wheel with appropriate rubber could out perform those 19s.
Perfect example. Probably right, but who wants to drive around with a gay looking 17" wheel.

Displacement makes you complacent
PONY Member

Just let me know where I can find performance brakes for my 17x7's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page