Ebay Leather seat covers - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I meant the vinyl piece. For us who had stOne cloth.

2012 Performance Package V6 MT82
MODS- FRPP Sport axle back, Lethal Off/road X-pipe, Air Raid CAI, SCT Tuner BAMA 93R tune, 20% tint, Leather seat installed, Joe Heck Short shifter and bushing, Steeda Shift knob with billet collar, 4 6X8 kicker speakers.
Soon to come- Alum driveshaft, Interior Lighting, louvers, GT/CS front end, some kind of forced induction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
Classic Member

I've never had a reason to try removing mine. It looks like they should be changeable though. You may have to glue the new ones on though? I have a friend with stone interior and he had the dealer upgrade his seats to black leather. They left all the trim pieces in stone and in my opinion looks quite out of place. Especially on a black car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*1965 all original 289 coupe
*2011 v6 performance white - Airaid cai, magnaflow street exhaust, 30% tint, boss 302 steering wheel, leather take off seats.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLomeStang View Post
Unfortunately I can't view the link here at work, but I'd recommend going through the same source that like 10+ of our members went through, which was an ebay link... I believe through Lance Cunningham Ford (If I remember correctly).

And I ended up not using hog clamps, I went with strong nylon ties and it has been great thus far.
Heads up on the hog rings vs zip ties. I recently found out that Ford calls for 2 hog rings in each location on the front upper covers. So there are 2 bars on each upper cover with 6 locations to put hog rings. That's 12 rings in each upper cover.

The reason is the side airbag. In a side impact when the airbag deploys it looks for the weakest point on the seat to deploy through. In a typical scenario that is the special threading and inserts along the side of the seat cover. While it is the quickest route out, the breakaway seams aren't necessarily weak. They're strong enough to hold if only one hog ring is used in each location which would then divert the airbag through the cover towards the occupants back.

Just wanted to throw that out there as a potential safety issue with using plastic zip ties. Zip ties are relatively strong but not as strong as 2 steel hog rings.

Displacement makes you complacent

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
Heads up on the hog rings vs zip ties. I recently found out that Ford calls for 2 hog rings in each location on the front upper covers. So there are 2 bars on each upper cover with 6 locations to put hog rings. That's 12 rings in each upper cover.

The reason is the side airbag. In a side impact when the airbag deploys it looks for the weakest point on the seat to deploy through. In a typical scenario that is the special threading and inserts along the side of the seat cover. While it is the quickest route out, the breakaway seams aren't necessarily weak. They're strong enough to hold if only one hog ring is used in each location which would then divert the airbag through the cover towards the occupants back.

Just wanted to throw that out there as a potential safety issue with using plastic zip ties. Zip ties are relatively strong but not as strong as 2 steel hog rings.
Holy Crap! That is some good advice right there. I guess the seats come back out and some extra hog rings or ties will be added.

2011 v6 PP Race Red
Flowmaster Super 44's
K&N Drop In
3.73 Rear End
Axle Exchange Driveshaft
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnagy75 View Post
Holy Crap! That is some good advice right there. I guess the seats come back out and some extra hog rings or ties will be added.
Yeah... screw that lol, I'll just stick with my nylon ties and hope for the best. lol....

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Are hog rings too complicated for you?

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLomeStang View Post
Yeah... screw that lol, I'll just stick with my nylon ties and hope for the best. lol....
I probably would too if the installation was already done. I just remembered this thread when I heard the reason for the double hog rings. I didn't want one of you guys to end up in an automatic wheel chair though drooling on yourself because of a small side impact.

"Okay Mr. JLome, all you do is suck on the straw to turn left, and blow on the straw to turn right....":p

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Are hog rings too complicated for you?
I think he's more or less talking about the whole upper cover. He'd need to remove both front seats, then the upper covers. I bet he could do it in 1-2 hours now that he's done it now though.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
I think he's more or less talking about the whole upper cover. He'd need to remove both front seats, then the upper covers. I bet he could do it in 1-2 hours now that he's done it now though.
1-2 hours, a $4 hog ring tool and 2 cents worth of rings is cheap insurance in my book. Some guys don't take safety seriously, probably because they've never been in an accident of seen the effects of one.

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

2 years ago I was in a direct head on collission at 70 MPH and ruined my back for life (totaled my scion TC in the process), hence why I went from being a 210 lb OX benching nearly 400 pounds, to the 240 pounds I now weigh (benching is not relevant to anything, just making a point here).. I just can't lift anymore, so I am well aware of intelligent safetey.

Hog rings are a joke as long as you have a hog ring clamp, if I was able to re-do the entire interior of my car I think I can handle hog rings... the only reason I didn't use them in the first place is the 3 stores I went to either didn't carry them, or were sold out, so I said fuk this and went with nylon ties. The airbag unit is located in a place where I don't feel it will make much of a difference, regardless of the research.. the unit doesn't actually attach to the hog ring bars, I handled the unit directly even though your not really supposed to, the wiring goes down through the fabric to the bottom of the seat, where it connects directly to the floor board wiring (not that this is really important...)

Not to mention, in my 70 MPH car crash, the airbags never even went off (hard to believe, but I promise it's true)... my car went directly under the car I hit and while my engine bay, windshield, steering colum etc were completely destroyed, my bumper didn't even have a scratch, so after a 70 MPH crash with the airbags failing to deploy, I say fuk it.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Not to make light of your situation but it was a ricer. I don't care what Consumer Reports says Japanese cars just aren't made as well as American cars. Back in the 70's when they starting selling them like hot cakes I felt that way and I still do. The air bag system was probably defective.

I'm glad you made it out alive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page