Performance Package vs. Base, driven both? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Performance Package vs. Base, driven both?

Hi all, been lurking for a while but I am seriously considering a lightly used 2011/12 or new v6 Mustang manual. This car will be a daily driver and since I'm in WI, I will be swapping wheels for the winter. The problem I have is finding reviews of the non PP cars (it seems all the mag reviews are PP) and getting a feel for whether I'd be happy with the base. I can't find a PP car in my area to test. Is the ride harsh on a PP? Is the handling/skidpad that much better? Would I get teeth rattle over potholed WI roads with the PP? For winter driving the 3.31 is a limited slip diff and therefore much better when it's slick? Anyone driven both to a good extent and can give me a good synopses? I don't plan any track time at all. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012
Beast3.7

You know, I drove both and maybe I'm an idiot but I didn't really notice much of a difference. However I didn't drive either on a track. I still think the PP is worth the money for the wheels and gears alone, getting the other stuff is gravy IMO.

Plus if you're going to modify your car anyway, why pay the extra $2k. I think the question to ask yourself is if you want the 2.73 gears or 3.31. You can order the 3.31s ala cart. But you can even avoid that if you think you may go even steeper in gears.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Since you aren't taking this to the track I'm curious as to why you would be interested in the performance package other than the name or brake upgrades? Unless, of course, it's to get around the potholes in WI! All Mustangs are limited slip so it makes little difference if it's 3.31, 2.73, 3.55, etc. I'm in the same boat as hogasswild, there will be little difference on the street, besides the looks, in the package if you have little plans of utilizing the brake and suspension upgrades. Just my opinion of course but sounds like you would be better served saving your money until you drive the base for awhile and then get an idea of what you would really like.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Better not take a Ford product to a track like it was advertised to be used for! You will automatically void your warranty. Let's just assume he just wants a little more handling if he has to avoid an accident. Then yes the PP is worth it. I drove both and to me the PP handles a little better and looks a little better. Some suspension mods and a gear change done from the factory and no warranty problems from Ford.

2011 v6 PP Race Red
Flowmaster Super 44's
K&N Drop In
3.73 Rear End
Axle Exchange Driveshaft
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
PONY Member

The base Mustang is a more comfortable ride than the PP. Especially on rough roads. You can get the 3.31 gears as an option for about $250. The base Stang handles well and the PP handles even better.
They all have limited slip. You can upgrade the brakes and suspension later if you desire.
My Stang is a base, and I really like it.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Upgrade the brakes and ass a strut tower brace and a base will handle better than fine.

2011 Black V6 Base Model

2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302 #3176
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
PONY Member

The problem with the base is that the all season tires are horrible. Worse than I thought possible. Go pp just for the summer rubber if nothing else.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
MACH I Member

If you practically stop to take turns and reach an average of 5mph on turning, you will not notice a difference in suspension between the two.

However, if you ever take your car Autocrossing, it will be night and day between the two. The PZero's on the PP are REALLY grippy summer tires and the modded suspension is made to keep the car from having too much body roll and wheel hop.

So, it's about what you want out of your car. I live in North Dakota and half my year is winter, of which, I drive my PP Mustang, and love it! The suspension is the perfect balance between someone who wants a really good summer performer and a daily driver that gives one very important thing: ride height.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
Rookie

Thumbs up

I have a 2012 PP and my friend has a 2011 base w/automatic. He made the comments to me that mine felt more connected to the road. Also, he said it felt much faster. I am sure part of that is due to his being an automatic. Coming from an RX-8 I don't feel the ride in my PP is harsh at all.

At $2K list the performance package is a bargain when you consider all it gives you. For someone who wants a decently handling Mustang without losing any part of your warranty it is great. In that scenario the only good reason not to get one is if you don't want to drive a manual transmission.

Good luck in your search.
PONY Member

Keep in mind you can usually get the PP wheels and tires off of Craigslist pretty cheap. I've seen them go for $600-$700. My plan is to swap my base wheels for them as soon as I need new tires.

I've added some of the aesthetic looks of the performance and pony packages already. It's cheaper and more fun to do it that way if you ask me (: The only thing I'm not touching is the gears and still wussing out on the tuner for warranty reasons.

2011 V6 Base Grabber Blue GBMR #082
DG Custom Side Mirrors, Tri-bar Fender Emblems, MCA Grille, Magnaflow Street Axleback, Strut Tower Brace, AM GT500 Wheels, Bama Tuned 93Race
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
The problem with the base is that the all season tires are horrible. Worse than I thought possible. Go pp just for the summer rubber if nothing else.
I agree. I test drove a base manual with the 215 all seasons and it was terrible. The V6 is too powerful for that crappy a tire. For the small bump in sticker price get the PP.

2013 Blue Focus ST - 6M
2013 White GT/CS - 6M, 3.73 - SOLD
2013 Black Focus SE - 5M
2012 Kona V6 PP - 6M - SOLD
GT Member
V6 Member

I wanted a PP but didn't want the summer only tires. I didn't realize the market for them and that I could've sold the set.

I think the 3:31 gears are worth it, something I regret not getting. Barely able to get into 60 mph in 6th and only doing 2000 rpms at 80 mph seems silly. The 3:31 gears would probably be more usable.

Getting a Pony or MCA package gives you much better tires and wheels than base. The Pzero's work pretty damn well in my book.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I didn't need the PP but wanted it and am glad I got it (nice day toy) if you already realise that you are going to get winter tires/rims I rercomend the PP and a 2nd set of tires. The only real draw backs are the Pirelli summer tires like most summer tires have a short life span and in the 19" size are expensive!! Also the extra grip comes at the expense of gas Mileage. The 3.31 gears hurt hwy gas mileage some too. It is a perf bargin.... if you get the base model and stay away from the leather and sync. The 3.31 gears help a lot on pick up and I highly recommend them.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

I say go with the PP if you can find one and if you can afford it. As others have chimed, its a bargain plus it elevates all the positive attributes of the base Mustang. The summer tires is moot since you'll be running a dedicated winter set up.

Daily Workhorse 2012 Ingot Silver/Charcoal Mustang V6 Coupe Auto base 101A (Oct 2011 build) - stripes delete, OEM all-weather mats, bbr billet antenna, OEM cargo organizer, tint, LEDs, PIAA...many other mods planned :nogrinner
Current Stable: 2007 W211 E350 4Matic Sport, 1999 EJ6 Civic Retired : 2006 E90 325i, 2001 W210 E55 AMG
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejames86 View Post
Upgrade the brakes and ass a strut tower brace and a base will handle better than fine.
Please explain exactly how you do that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page