2012 V6 Mustang Top Speed - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Ford sends the car out from the factory with a black belt gremlin installed under the car. At precisely 135 mph the gremlin is trained to swing a machete at your drive shaft to cut it in half.

Displacement makes you complacent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6FTW View Post

Apparently, the top speed on the new V6's is 113 and at 135+ the drive train will fail causing immediate engine failure.
No. I've had mine at 140 over a sustained distance of several miles and at 130 at least a dozen or more times, running uphill on a 6% grade over a distance of nearly a mile at a time. She's still solid as a rock, no matter how many times I do this.

I saw a video someone posted of their V6 blowing apart between 135-140, but I also noticed something else: they kept that poor thing wound up around 6K RPM the whole time.

I was in 5th gear at around 4,500-4,700 RPM @ 140 (back when I had the 2.73's). I wasn't winding the dog snot out of it. The 3.55's put me at near the same RPM's in 6th.

Sure, you can rev up to 6K-7.5K all you want for maybe a second or two between shifts on quick sprints, but don't keep your pony wound up there in Alpha Zone while you're screaming down the freeway. There's a right way and a wrong way to do anything.

If you want to test top speed, then be as safe as possible but don't fear an automatic explosion. Just use some good sense.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I missed the track thing, too (on the exploding DS video), but still: he had it wound up there for what seemed an awful long period of time.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
No. I've had mine at 140 over a sustained distance of several miles and at 130 at least a dozen or more times, running uphill on a 6% grade over a distance of nearly a mile at a time. She's still solid as a rock, no matter how many times I do this.

I saw a video someone posted of their V6 blowing apart between 135-140, but I also noticed something else: they kept that poor thing wound up around 6K RPM the whole time.

I was in 5th gear at around 4,500-4,700 RPM @ 140 (back when I had the 2.73's). I wasn't winding the dog snot out of it. The 3.55's put me at near the same RPM's in 6th.

Sure, you can rev up to 6K-7.5K all you want for maybe a second or two between shifts on quick sprints, but don't keep your pony wound up there in Alpha Zone while you're screaming down the freeway. There's a right way and a wrong way to do anything.

If you want to test top speed, then be as safe as possible but don't fear an automatic explosion. Just use some good sense.
You may want to remember that 6th gear is an "overdrive." That means the driveshaft RPM is higher then the motor RPM.

I spoke to a Ford "tech guy" at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Phoenix last week. He was very clear that the 2011 V6 speed limiter was there to protect the drive-shaft. Lots of things will work "some of the time." In Ford's case, the drive-shaft has to work "every time." Thus, the limiter.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

Last edited by Radioguy; 01-25-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spell
GT Member

The gear your in does not make your driveshaft spin faster or slower. The driveshaft spins in synch with the rear wheels.

I got my new shaft on but I don't plan on testing if its worthy on a high speed run lol.. once you've seen the baby bolts that hold the driveshaft in place it kinda makes you rethink how the entire drive line doesn't snap when you step on it.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

You learn something new every day. Good info, I suppose? Makes sense, now that I think about it. Sad, as old as I am and I never gave that any thought.

Oh well. I just thank Ford and dem silly Chinese that I got one of the models that passed a QC check!
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
Ford sends the car out from the factory with a black belt gremlin installed under the car. At precisely 135 mph the gremlin is trained to swing a machete at your drive shaft to cut it in half.
WOW, is that true? Do you have any idea of where it's at? I mean, I would think that PETA, the Humane Society, or ACLU would get involved with something as flagrant as making a size challenged gremlin stay in a dangerous situation like that! Somebody should do something about this!!!

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
PONY Member

I dont know about the gremlin but I just assumed the limiter would cut me off at around 115, but I looked up and I was running at 120+ and I have no tune or anything. I have actually done this twice. Now I will admit that I felt the car getting ready to pull up but it definately got above 113or 115 whatever the cut off is.
PONY Member

Yea, Im not sure its an exact number (for whatever reason) but it seems that the limiter kicks in in the range of 113-117 MPH.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Manual 6Spd, 3.31 Rear
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

My limiter always topped me out at 113 MPH on flat runs, though I could hit almost 120 on slight declines.

I've only experienced the nose float once, in a freeway curve at 110. It got my attention. Otherwise, the straight run at 140 felt just as planted as 70. But then, this is not a suspension or handling thread.

I am curious whether I can reach 160, but I don't dare try in current circumstances.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Went back tonight and got to 130 without the limiter kicking the car off. I'll try to rig a camera set up to get proof for you all, because I'm not really comfortable trying to hold a camera and drive a car going 130+ at the same time.

To answer some questions:

As to my knowledge, the car is stock. I'm the first owner but the car had 700+ miles on it when I bought it. So, I would be interested to know if someone from the Ford dealership got a hold of it. Lol.

It's a 2012 V6 Premium with the "performance package" and a K&N air filter.

The race track is not on an incline at all. 5 miles of straight blacktop.
PONY Member

I'd put money on it being tuned

2012 Black MCA, HID package, Steeda splitter, Airaid cold air intake, AM Hood struts, FRPP Sport axle back, Soon : matching lower grille, MMD tailight surrounds and tint.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
To the op, make sure the black belt gremlin is uninstalled before you try again.

2011 3.7L 6sp Performance Package, Ext. Black, Bone Stock with the exception of an oil change.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Unit View Post
Yea, Im not sure its an exact number (for whatever reason) but it seems that the limiter kicks in in the range of 113-117 MPH.
The night I bought my car I thought I'd give it a brief blast to upwards of 100MPH, and it surprised me that at ~117MPG it almost 'hunted' for a speed. Sort of like modulating the gas pedal oh so slightly. When I told some friends, they said I was not being truthful in that 113 is the top speed, but I did see 117MPH briefly.

2012 Base Mustang Convertible
2009 Grand Marquis
SHELBY GT 350 Member

You guys are all assuming that the speedometer is reading correctly, THEY DON'T.

The higher the speed the more the inaccuracy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page