2012 V6 Mustang Top Speed - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
You guys are all assuming that the speedometer is reading correctly, THEY DON'T.

The higher the speed the more the inaccuracy.
I believe this was true back in the old cable driven speedo days, but today's speedo is electronic. On Chrysler designs, the transmission uses a output shaft speed sensor that is basically a switch that opens and closes to create pulses. An integrator converts the pulses to a voltage, and either an ADC, or CPU places the voltage to the speedo. I suppose there is some error, but I would assume it would be linear error in an electronic speedo?

2012 Base Mustang Convertible
2009 Grand Marquis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billccm View Post
I believe this was true back in the old cable driven speedo days, but today's speedo is electronic. On Chrysler designs, the transmission uses a output shaft speed sensor that is basically a switch that opens and closes to create pulses. An integrator converts the pulses to a voltage, and either an ADC, or CPU places the voltage to the speedo. I suppose there is some error, but I would assume it would be linear error in an electronic speedo?
It still uses a needle that sweeps across a 270 degree arc, it's not like it is digital.

post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Howdy View Post
To the op, make sure the black belt gremlin is uninstalled before you try again.
Lol. Will do. How do you kill those things again? Oh wait! Here it is:

Bits: How to kill a Gremlin (As seen in ‘Gremlins’) Christa Lawler

PONY Member

Quote:
You guys are all assuming that the speedometer is reading correctly, THEY DON'T.

The higher the speed the more the inaccuracy.

yea, I figured that.. I think on one burst I was surprised that I hit 120mph so quickly and later I read where the speed was limited to 113-115 and was wondering why I didn't hit a limiter.... I have the 245/45/19 tires on mine so I thought my speedo would register a little slow and according to my GPS it's about 1-2 mph slow at 65 or so.

I bought mine new and the only folks that's flashed my computer is my Ford Service Director buddy from high school "reflashed" the computer because of an issue I had early on, I wonder if
1. the "reflash" did something to the limiter?
2. since my car came with the 235/50/18s P-Zeros the limiter is higher?
3. the speedo is just off that much at that speed? (my dad used to "say there's nothing faster than a Ford with a jacked up speedometer")
4. I was so exited I didn't look at the speedo correctly?
:?::?:

also my Chevy C1500 has a limiter at 100mph, when you hit a hair over 100 it feels like someone turns off the ignition, is that the way the limiter feels on these cars?

2011 V6 Premium ,Grabber Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto/2.73, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package.

Mods, Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels/245-45-19 P-Zeros, Wheel Locks, Ford Accessory Alarm, Ford All-Weather Mats, window tint, spare tire/jack, cam cap mod.
on deck... Polk Audio db571 X 4 speakers & baffles
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
It still uses a needle that sweeps across a 270 degree arc, it's not like it is digital.
There's ways around that. GPS, for instance.
Apprentice

Perhaps someone could try using the digital speedometer?
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...d-out-mph.html
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
There's ways around that. GPS, for instance.
I had to use my phone's GPS for my job, so needless to say, I've gone through a ton of droid apps, but one in particular stood out to me because of the accuracy, satellite communication, amount of data one can use and its customizable GUI (Graphical User Interface):
GPS Essentials - Android app on AppBrain

I use my phone's GPS for setting my cruise every time due to it's pinpoint accuracy.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member

Don't think the Performance Package V6 Stang's come with a speed limiter

2001 Mustang V6 4-speed Automatic: Sold
2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed Manual: Current
Appearance Modifications: None Yet
Performance Modifications: None Yet
Beast3.7

According to Car and Driver the PP does have the same governor:
Lightning Lap 2011 - Feature - Page 2
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8LMustangV6 View Post
Don't think the Performance Package V6 Stang's come with a speed limiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
According to Car and Driver the PP does have the same governor:
Lightning Lap 2011 - Feature - Page 2
Yes, same limiter because they use the same driveshaft.

Beast3.7

Exactly. There would be no need for an aftermarket DS. We could order the PP one straight from Ford.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonicmustang View Post
I dont know about the gremlin but I just assumed the limiter would cut me off at around 115, but I looked up and I was running at 120+ and I have no tune or anything. I have actually done this twice. Now I will admit that I felt the car getting ready to pull up but it definately got above 113or 115 whatever the cut off is.
My parents had a 1973 Gremlin (Levi Edition). Small as it was, I just can't see that thing fitting underneath a Mustang
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Perhaps someone could try using the digital speedometer?
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...d-out-mph.html
I actually tried that once. It read the same as my speedo needle up to 70 MPH. I have no idea if it would read the same at 112+ speeds.
Also, since the digital numbers are fairly small, I would be hesitant to check it out at 130 or 140.
Rookie

So after reading all of this and trying my son's 2011 V6, we did find out about the limiter thing. The speedo is also off by around 20mph so the dealer is trying to figure out which sensor is responsible.

As an aside, which DS and tuner/tune are recommended and is there anything else I need to add/modify to make this pony able to run faster yet be totally safe (vehicle/mechanical wise).

Thanks.
GT Member

On what track can one spool up to 135 in v6 mustang? I have a hard time buying that...

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page