2012 V6 Mustang Top Speed - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikduk View Post
So after reading all of this and trying my son's 2011 V6, we did find out about the limiter thing. The speedo is also off by around 20mph so the dealer is trying to figure out which sensor is responsible.

As an aside, which DS and tuner/tune are recommended and is there anything else I need to add/modify to make this pony able to run faster yet be totally safe (vehicle/mechanical wise).

Thanks.
You will need tires rated to go that fast...

2012 premium mustang v6 MT-82
2014 Harley 72' sportster

Overworked and underpaid technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikduk View Post
So after reading all of this and trying my son's 2011 V6, we did find out about the limiter thing. The speedo is also off by around 20mph so the dealer is trying to figure out which sensor is responsible.

As an aside, which DS and tuner/tune are recommended and is there anything else I need to add/modify to make this pony able to run faster yet be totally safe (vehicle/mechanical wise).

Thanks.
Driveshaft safety loop
And the one on AM seems what a lot of people get. The tuner, theres a few i think i will be going with BAMA. I would also get better tires (if you dont have PP). Also a driver mod would help, both you and your son. If you want to run your car at serious speeds maybe a racing course could help. Teaches you about awareness, the capabilities of your car, so on and so forth

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
PONY Member

The tires on my base model are rated for 130 mph, it's called a speed rating! I don't understand why people think this car can't go fast up top, 3500 lbs. or so, 305 hp is plenty. The post about doing 150, the car likely was no topped out. Mine is still stock at this point in time, but it will hit the limiter with ease, so there is plenty left. It's not a good idea to over speed your tires, but they are not likely to explode if you go 1 mph over their speed rating.
I like my mustang, but if I knew I would need to fork out $2k to fix all the sh#t that Ford screwed up on it it wouldn't be in front of my house. The motor is unreal for it's size, but the sh#t ford put after it is totally crap, and if you replace it they will void your warranty.
It's a damn good thing it's so pretty to look at!

Apprentice

My 2012 Perf pack, which is stock except for exhaust, won't go past ~115. You all have to remember that the speed limiter has little or nothing to do with 1 video posted on youtube of some guy's driveshaft failing. The speed limiter has to do with insurance. It's just one of the reasons the V6 has pretty reasonable insurance for a 300HP sporty car.

I wonder what an insurance company would do if someone crashed at >115MPH on a tuned car. My guess is the insurance company wouldn't cover it. Of course, you'd probably be in jail so you'd have other things to worry about.

2012 V6 M6 Performance Package
go.to/vum
SHELBY GT 350 Member

You know, none of this is new.

Ford has used electronic speed limiting on all it's cars and pickups since they began using full electronic engine controls.

The GT's are also limited, but to 155, and the only reason they are set that high is because the driveshaft is built to be able to do it.

My '99 Lightning was set at 155 too, although it wouldn't quite get there, about 145 tops. My current '94 Lightning is limited to 115 just like the V6 Mustang.

My old '04 Mustang V6 was also set to 115.

So, like I stated, this situation is nothing new, same as Ford has been doing for years, same as chebby and dodge too.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Let me jump in on this. When my car was stock it would do 115 usually hit that in 3rd gear. Got a tune and I have had it up to 145 and it was still pulling pretty hard. I believe it will do pretty close to 160. I ran those speed before ii
I found out about the drive shaft issues. Drive shaft will be the next modd for me.

Preacherman
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Sad the new Focus ST has a 155 MPH limit, while our cars have it set at 115. Ugh...

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Apprentice

I have a 12' performance package and definitely get slapped down at 113.

2012 Mustang V6 MT∙ Performance Package ∙ Race Red ∙ Viper Alarm/Remote Start ∙ Airaid CAI
Apprentice

I think it's actually governed due to the tires on some of the v6's. I have the Michelin energy savers which were stock on the 12 v6 prem. and they're "T" rated which, if I remember correctly, is 118MPH. Ford wouldn't let the cars go over the rating of the lowest rated tire probably due to safety reason.
Apprentice

Just get some new tires and tune and you should be fine up to 125 (hopefully on a track) and a aluminum driveshaft will be safe to 160+ if you really need it DSS carbon fiber DS is good up to 200 but you would need a pretty good downhill strait for that.

2013 Black V6 6MT 20" Menzarri rims, Airaid intake, Bama tune, 3.73 gears, muffler delete, Corbeau TRS seats, Stack Racing strut bar...Custom shift knob on order.
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
Sad the new Focus ST has a 155 MPH limit, while our cars have it set at 115. Ugh...
For how much the ST costs for a Ford Focus, no, no it isn't.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Rookie

v/6 speed limiter

I have read in some of the car magazine test articles that the v/6 was limited to about 113 because of the speed rating of the tires from the factory. I have had mine to 110 in 4th gear when I shut it down. Dont know where it would have limited at but I still had RPM left in 4th and two more gears.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandawilliams View Post
I have read in some of the car magazine test articles that the v/6 was limited to about 113 because of the speed rating of the tires from the factory. I have had mine to 110 in 4th gear when I shut it down. Dont know where it would have limited at but I still had RPM left in 4th and two more gears.
Electronically limited...
And ford should have just swapped a new DS and tune in the PP and charge even another 500 or what ever... I saw one test where the GT beats the sixxer around the track but on the straights the v6 was hitting the gov. While the gt flew

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
I had to use my phone's GPS for my job, so needless to say, I've gone through a ton of droid apps, but one in particular stood out to me because of the accuracy, satellite communication, amount of data one can use and its customizable GUI (Graphical User Interface):
GPS Essentials - Android app on AppBrain

I use my phone's GPS for setting my cruise every time due to it's pinpoint accuracy.
Why? Are you trying to cruise at an exact number? Unless your spedo is horribly off.

Black 2011 V6
PONY Member

I don't know about all that stuff but after I put the Nittos on my pony with the DS shops Aluminum shaft w/safety loop. My little pony hit 140 with no problems and still had pedal left. Some day I'll find a piece of deserted road and go for 160. I believe she will have no problems doing that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page