popping noise when front struts unload - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

popping noise when front struts unload

Not sure how to describe this. When I go over a hill fast enough to make the struts extend all the way out. I hear a popping or clunking kind of noise. Once in a while it does it when I go over a large speed bump too.

Is this normal on these cars? I've never had a car that made this noise.

BD 11/15/11, ETA 11/26, Delivered 11/23, received 11/28
2012 Base v6, Grabber Blue, Manual, exterior sport appearance package, stripe delete, MT82
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012
Apprentice

Garage
Mine makes the noise you are describing every time I go over a railroad crossing.

2011 Blue V6 Stang
Mods: Too many to list
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012
GT Member

mine didnt make that noise but when i took the strut mounts off they came apart really easily when it wasnt pressed together tight. (its two pieces only connected by the pressure of the spring). so it could be that the two pieces are separating and coming back together. or your just doing the opposite of bottoming out.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012
GT Member

Its the LCA's and you are making them reach their full range of motion. When they reach their max, you hear a clunk.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrabber5 View Post
Not sure how to describe this. When I go over a hill fast enough to make the struts extend all the way out. I hear a popping or clunking kind of noise. Once in a while it does it when I go over a large speed bump too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylere121191 View Post
Mine makes the noise you are describing every time I go over a railroad crossing.
Hello members,

I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you if needed.

Deysha
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ok, from the sound of it, it's nothing to worry about. I'll add it to the list of things for the dealership to look at when I take it in for an oil change in a couple thousand miles.

BD 11/15/11, ETA 11/26, Delivered 11/23, received 11/28
2012 Base v6, Grabber Blue, Manual, exterior sport appearance package, stripe delete, MT82
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012
Apprentice

Garage
The noise doesn't bother me since I'm going to replace the suspension anyway.

2011 Blue V6 Stang
Mods: Too many to list
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012
Apprentice

I experience the same noise, usually when travelling <15mph and when the suspension has to "move quickly"

I also had a grinding noise when going over bumps and dips in the road. This was fixed by replacing the front lower control arms under warranty
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbunn View Post
I experience the same noise, usually when travelling <15mph and when the suspension has to "move quickly"
I also had a grinding noise when going over bumps and dips in the road. This was fixed by replacing the front lower control arms under warranty
Please make an appointment with your dealer and send me your info as well, bcbunn.

Deysha
Apprentice

Yup, I get the same noise when I hit speed bumps. Already spoke to dealer and will be setting up an appointment soon to get it tested.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7L - 6MT - 2.73 - Reverse Sensing/Security Package - Airaid CAI - SCT Tuner w/stock tune - FRPP Sport Axleback - GT Premium Steering Wheel - JLT Oil Separator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page