Charging the battery while car is stored. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Charging the battery while car is stored.

Guess I should have asked this when I put the car away.The battery has been sitting on my work bench for approx. 3 months,without being on a charger.Should I be charging it during this time? Should I leave it on the charger till spring? My charger has a low,med. and high setting.What to do?

2012 V6 Premium,Kona Blue, Auto, Pony package, Saddle leather,Quarter louvers,Airaid cai,Ford Racing strut tower brace,flowmaster axleback,JLT oil separator,3:31,
Best e.t. 14.02 @ 101 mph (so far)

1999 vert, V6, Chrome Yellow,bone stock (for now!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
GT Member
Classic Member

All of us weekend drivers have this problem. Get a trickle charger from almost any sporting goods store or auto parts store. Academy Sports just listed one for 25 dollars. They keep a very low amp charge going to the battery all the time keeping it fresh. Good luck!

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
Rookie
V6 Member
4.6L Member

I agree you shouldn't just let it sit. I bought a "battery tender" for mine awhile ago. I picked it up at our kawasaki dealer - they gave me some story about it cycling the charge times. check into them before you buy one - I found several different types all of various quality - get a good one.

Mustangs Rock!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
74stang2togo

Use a float charger.

A standard trickle charger will still eventually over-charge your battery.

Battery Tender is one of the best, but it's by no means the only one. When I had an old Chevy work truck that I didn't use regularly anymore because I'd bought a newer truck, I mounted a float charger from Shakespeare to the inside of the fender and left it hooked up to the battery full time so I'd just have to run the extension cord to it when I got back.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I see one by "Ctek' that looks like it fits the bill,and it's on sale 1/2 off for $50,gonna run out and pick one up.Thanks guys!

2012 V6 Premium,Kona Blue, Auto, Pony package, Saddle leather,Quarter louvers,Airaid cai,Ford Racing strut tower brace,flowmaster axleback,JLT oil separator,3:31,

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
GT Member

I would recommend a trickle charger. Will run you about 30 bucks. I dont know much about the one you have, its probably not much of a difference though. I would keep it on the low setting while it is stored.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer View Post
Guess I should have asked this when I put the car away.The battery has been sitting on my work bench for approx. 3 months,without being on a charger.Should I be charging it during this time? Should I leave it on the charger till spring? My charger has a low,med. and high setting.What to do?

Check Harbor Freight their pretty inexpensive.

Scott

c-f-m.com
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Since you have a regular charger just put it on low for a few hours once a month and you'll be fine. Do NOT leave it on overnight if you're apt to forget stick a timer on it so it shuts off after a few...

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Since you have a regular charger just put it on low for a few hours once a month and you'll be fine. Do NOT leave it on overnight if you're apt to forget stick a timer on it so it shuts off after a few...
Bought a Ctek 3300 that can be left on the battery and will only turn on if the charge on the battery dips.

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer View Post
Bought a Ctek 3300 that can be left on the battery and will only turn on if the charge on the battery dips.
this is what I have on my car now. Bought it from Canadian Tire in the fall when it was on sale.

2011 V6 Mustang
6 Speed Manual - 3.31 Gears
Kona Blue, Pony Package
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adblink View Post
this is what I have on my car now. Bought it from Canadian Tire in the fall when it was on sale.
They had it on sale at Canadian Tire for $49,thought it was a good deal

Snackmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Check Harbor Freight their pretty inexpensive.

Scott

c-f-m.com

I've got one from HF (on sale for like $5.00). I'm sure it's not the best but it has kept things straight on our 65 that sits in the garage quite a bit.

If my car blows up later I'll be coming and erasing this post lol.

PONY Member

Take the battery out and keep it in a warm place like your bedroom closet. No need for charging.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7, M6, 101A, security package, built 5/3/11.
Mods: The list is long, like WRXified's winky used to be.

Other junk: 1994 Z28 conv LT1 A4 - 1965 Custom 2dr 390 M4 - 1962 Galaxie 4dr 427 A3 - 1979 Firebird Formula EV (work in progress) - 1967 Austin Healy Sprite (basket case)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page