Anotheer tune thread... but seem i cant find the answer - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Anotheer tune thread... but seem i cant find the answer

Hey guys so on my computer forum (yes im a computer geek xD) I posted the same exhaust thread as here... and one guy said what about when yu re install the stock tune for warranty work yu disconnect the battery after it is installed. So it lost its like memory i guess you can say. One guy said no it wont work because his VW's trans like learns and stores shift points and if you disconnect the battery it is still saved. But whatcha guys think about tht tune idea??

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
Jozsefsz

Come again, perhaps in English?

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
PONY Member

When you load the stock tune back in before you get serviced, Ford can tell that there was a reload of the stock tune, but the performance tune (e.g. 91H from Bama) will not show.

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

wouldnt it have like an install date when you install a new tune though?

Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The question is, what do you fear will happen either way? Has your engine suffered any damage?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

im just curious... i know this v6 engine is a top rated engine and stuff but you never know. It was a thought I had and I was thinking I should ask another reputable source if the battery trick would work. Just thinking that they could pin a tune for the reason on anything basically breaking.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozsefsz View Post
Come again, perhaps in English?
i understood it just fine

he wants to know if he has a custom tune on his car, and needs to go to ford for warranty work, that when he re instals the ford stock tune, should he have to disconnect the battery (yes), and how some guy that owns a Volkswagen says his transmission saves the shift points after time, even with no power hooked up to it, it keeps them. (completely different car/manufacturer/county made in)

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
i understood it just fine

he wants to know if he has a custom tune on his car, and needs to go to ford for warranty work, that when he re instals the ford stock tune, should he have to disconnect the battery (yes), and how some guy that owns a Volkswagen says his transmission saves the shift points after time, even with no power hooked up to it, it keeps them. (completely different car/manufacturer/county made in)
thank you
and as for the VW thing i know all that (not saying you are accusing me of not knowing), I thought I should let you know of everything I know. And as for the 'yes'. Will it work, disconnecting the battery and now the dealership wont know?

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

After reloading the stock tune, disconnecting the battery for a short time will clear the memory and all that will show on the Ford scan tool is an "event occurrence" but it won't show what the event was or that any other tune had been loaded.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I don't recall seeing anything cast in stone, but the general consensus has been to load the stock tune prior to a dealer visit and to rack up at least 50 miles on it (if the car is able to do that when the day comes, assuming the engine has not been cooked somehow), as that should pack up the logs fairly well.

Another major concern (and a more legitimate one IMO) would be to remove the aftermarket tune to avoid any possible corruption, should the dealer attempt to flash over it with an update, thinking the factory tune is in the computer. You could find yourself stuck for hours or days while the dealer attempts to de-bug your computer and restart your car.

Of course, you could leave the aftermarket tune on it, tell the dealer that it's there and that you are not making any warranty claims because your engine is running just fine, and ask them to be careful to not flash any updates to it.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
After reloading the stock tune, disconnecting the battery for a short time will clear the memory and all that will show on the Ford scan tool is an "event occurrence" but it won't show what the event was or that any other tune had been loaded.
Looks like I took too long writing my response.

There's the short and definitive answer.
GT Member

I doubt anyone but a senior Ford Tech knows the answer to your question "absolutely." However, Ford issued a TSB associated with the new V8 Mustang engine last year. There was a lot of press about it. I have attached a picture of a logic diagram from the TSB. The V6 ECU is almost identical to the V8 ECU. Having been around computer technology for over 40 years, and viewing the diagram, I strongly suspect the computer saves specific code data in "non-volatile" memory. If you read the entire TSB you can see Ford directing their techs to specific memory areas for data. I doubt disconnecting the battery does very much. BY the way, the User Manual for the Mustang says on page 216 of the manual that the "adaptive transmission shift strategy data" is stored in the "powertrain control module" PCM and is NOT lost if the battery is disconnected. So I think it is very likely that Ford can store data that can be retrieved at a later time, whether the PCM has been "reflashed" or the battery has been "disconnected."
The TSB goes on to suggest that the dealer contact Ford for assistance in pulling key data from the PCM. They may well save a historical file of some particular data everytime the PCM sees a command to reflash the memory. Notice in the TSB that they check for a specific code P1000. I suspect that code is stored anytime the ECU is reflashed - probably with some other data. You make the call.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSB1.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	148761  

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
JeffOden

Quote:
Yep, that's your answer. Lots of conspiracy theorist out there, but no checksum digit in the code, none of that. Just a lack of data due to the ECM loss of 12VDC.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

DTC P1000 is the code stating that the PCM memory has been cleared. This is why you also want to drive the car for a distance after clearing.

Or, you make up a good reason for having disconnected the battery.

JeffOden

Quote:
DTC P1000 is the code stating that the PCM memory has been cleared. This is why you also want to drive the car for a distance after clearing.

Or, you make up a good reason for having disconnected the battery.
The P1000, readiness codes not set, used to take several start/drive/stop cycles to reset. Do you know if that is still true Curt?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page