Dual Mass Fly Wheel - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Dual Mass Fly Wheel

You think its possible to break it NA? I mean I plan on running some beefy tires this season at the track and I really don't want it to break and leave me stranded.

What are your thoughts. I think it was wrxified who broke his, maybe he can chime in.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu12 View Post
You think its possible to break it NA? I mean I plan on running some beefy tires this season at the track and I really don't want it to break and leave me stranded.

What are your thoughts. I think it was wrxified who broke his, maybe he can chime in.
It's possible but I think it would be rare. There is a friction ring that is placed between each side of the flywheel. This is put there to allow the inner and outer portion to slip if too much of a load is applied. What happened with mine is I slipped it a few times and it was very noticeable each time when it occurred. It happened when I romped on it a couple times pulling out in traffic and once at the track when I popped the clutch to do my burn out. It was basically a loud clicking noise where the engine tried to rev, I was in gear and it didn't go anywhere until I let off the clutch and re-engaged the gear. One of the times my clutch didn't come back all the way. I had to pop it back into place by putting my foot under the clutch and pulling it back.

The friction ring is kind of like an emergency parachute for the flywheel but it can only happen a few times. Exceeding the DM flywheels rated tq capacity is usually the only way to slip the friction ring. Once the friction ring fails you're likely going to shear one side from the other like I did. You'll know it when it slips and if it never happens you should be fine.

I knew when Glenn explained his failure that mine was going to happen eventually.

Displacement makes you complacent
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

okay I'll keep an eye out for the tell tale signs. I am going on slicks this year, trying to lower those 60 foot times, but a hard launch is going to worry me.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I think lots of high rpm launches with sticky tires will eventually cause a failure, even normally aspirated.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

how bad is the install for the single mass one by spec?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu12 View Post
how bad is the install for the single mass one by spec?
About like any other car, have to pull the trans out.

And if you are going to do it you might as well do the whole works, clutch and all.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
Apprentice

Do the automatics also use the dual mass flywheel?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan650 View Post
Do the automatics also use the dual mass flywheel?
Automatics have flexplates. Manuals have flywheels.

Displacement makes you complacent
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Dual mass flywheels are junk. Not made for any harsh driving. Made to quiet down the drivetrain and absorb vibration. Ironic since they actually cause massive vibration when the rpm's drop down around 2500 rpm's. Just upgrade it and be done with it. Mine clunks around like I have something very loose in there when I press the clutch in. Not the driveshaft or rearend.

2011 v6 PP Race Red
Flowmaster Super 44's
K&N Drop In
3.73 Rear End
Axle Exchange Driveshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page