Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011 - 2014 V6 Mustang Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-v6-mustang-tech/)
-   -   Launching and 0-60sec timing issues (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-v6-mustang-tech/329906-launching-0-60sec-timing-issues.html)

jlawrence613 02-08-2012 11:52 AM

Launching and 0-60sec timing issues

I was out the other day practicing launches and such. I would punch it from a dead stop, brake stand at varying rpm and for the most part, I would get a lot of wheel spin and the tail end would kick out from behind me. I'm assuming wheel spin or not, the clock starts as soon as the go-pedal is pushed.

I've got the Stock Pirelli tires which I thought were fairly grippy but I guess not. What is a good DD tire that will fit on the 18" Pony Package rim that sticks? I'm in FL so cold weather doesnt bother me, although rain will play a factor if Summer Tires cant handle it.

Also, I'm aware of what LCA's are, just not entirely sure what they do. Will any pinion angles or things of that nature need to be adjusted if you install a set on an otherwise stock suspension?

Is it unrealistic to get a setup that just launches as opposed to sitting and spinning, or is the V6 that powerful that it requires a drivers touch?

A6 tranny btw.

Thanks

FutureSound 02-08-2012 12:08 PM

I think the question here is how do you properly launch a V6 AT and what mods will help assist in a proper launch.

I usually go full breaks, hit the gas to about 2k and then let off the breaks and full throttle. I wouldn't exactly say my launches are fast though, but I don't get tail spin. It should also be noted that I have 2.73 vs your 3.73 which makes 2k in first a bit different between us.

JD08 02-08-2012 12:25 PM

The best 60 foot times I've had were going straight off idle. I tried 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, and 2000 and none were better than straight off idle. I really hate my 60 ft times with the 2.73s, but the anger goes away when I consider the MPG.

Ltngdrvr 02-08-2012 12:44 PM

There aren't any street tires short of drag radials that won't spin under the conditions you are talking about. You could put some drag radials on and drive them every day on the street but they don't last very long, 12-14K max. And even if you were to do that, drag radials need to be heated to get maximum traction.

You can practice and get better at throttle modulation and get better 0-60 times but the tires will still spin.

GRABBER3.7L 02-08-2012 12:57 PM

Good question..I too was going to make a thread like this..can't believe you get that much wheel spin tho..must be the gears

jlawrence613 02-08-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureSound (Post 2912118)
I think the question here is how do you properly launch a V6 AT and what mods will help assist in a proper launch.

I usually go full breaks, hit the gas to about 2k and then let off the breaks and full throttle. I wouldn't exactly say my launches are fast though, but I don't get tail spin. It should also be noted that I have 2.73 vs your 3.73 which makes 2k in first a bit different between us.

That about sums it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD08 (Post 2912146)
The best 60 foot times I've had were going straight off idle. I tried 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, and 2000 and none were better than straight off idle. I really hate my 60 ft times with the 2.73s, but the anger goes away when I consider the MPG.

If also noticed what FEELS like the best launches are straight off of idle and mashing the gas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr (Post 2912193)
There aren't any street tires short of drag radials that won't spin under the conditions you are talking about. You could put some drag radials on and drive them every day on the street but they don't last very long, 12-14K max. And even if you were to do that, drag radials need to be heated to get maximum traction.

You can practice and get better at throttle modulation and get better 0-60 times but the tires will still spin.

That sounds about right. I considered drag radials but like you pointed out, I dont want to replace them that often. I was wondering if magazine drivers who post 0-60 times get wheel spin like that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRABBER3.7L (Post 2912210)
Good question..I too was going to make a thread like this..can't believe you get that much wheel spin tho..must be the gears

I'll make a video of it. I'm willing to bet its the gears too. I'll try to do some experimentation and document the runs on camera. leave off idle, varying rpms, t/c on/off, advanctrak on/off.

GRABBER3.7L 02-08-2012 01:33 PM

The videos would be great..and prob some of that wheel spin is due to the t/c being off..but at the same time many have said that's the best way to get a efficient launch..

Holding the brake and pressing the gas to raise rpm's for the launch is also a way of increasing engine heat and transmission temp quite quickly..this is if you hold it for too long..that could be a factor too..but not necessarily for your launches

bluebyu12 02-08-2012 01:39 PM

Get some 275 or larger nitto555s. They seem to hook nicely in the street. I actually ran my best time at the track on them. No doubt you can still spin em, but traction is much better then pirellis.

GRABBER3.7L 02-08-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebyu12 (Post 2912269)
Get some 275 or larger nitto555s. They seem to hook nicely in the street. I actually ran my best time at the track on them. No doubt you can still spin em, but traction is much better then pirellis.

Yup he mentioned changing out the tires..and I would have to agree,it's deff one of the best improvements you can make for traction

jlawrence613 02-08-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebyu12 (Post 2912269)

I actually want the exact wheel/tire combo you have. I even considered 19" at one point. I like the staggered look. I will probably end up getting the 18x9front 18x10rear GT500 Wheels. Did
you get your setup from AM? I always had a question about if the wheels had an "SR" in the center cap? I would change those immeadiately.

How did those LCA's do you? I think they are like $99 and if you say they worked well, I may pick them up this weekend.

bluebyu12 02-08-2012 02:38 PM

Yes they are from american muscle. No they have american muscle center caps. And the j&mLCAs help wheel hop a lot. I also think a lot of the wheel hop issues lie with the soft springs in the rear, which is why I just ordered ford racing p springs.

JLomeStang 02-08-2012 02:43 PM

I've noticed that with the more miles I put on my car, the harder it is for me too launch as the tread wears down... ****** stock tires!

I've got good launches from about 2,800 rpms to 3,500 rpms depending on conditions, but only if advancetrac is off... if not I lose power before picking up speed. Now that I'm pushing 13k miles I can't launch at 3,500 rpms.. I just slide across the road.

I've used the timer in the car which is hard as hell to do but the best times I think I've gotten are about 6.4 0-60 and 14.5 quarter mile (not great times I know, but also not very accurate).

I don't exactly "launch" daily and most of the forum members who race their stangs or do track days are probably a lot better at it then I am.

JD08 02-08-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLomeStang (Post 2912381)
I don't exactly "launch" daily and most of the forum members who race their stangs or do track days are probably a lot better at it then I am.

PBIR isn't that far away. Take advantage of the cold air if we get another cold front.

P.S. If you do go, remember to wear long pants and closed shoes.

JLomeStang 02-08-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD08 (Post 2912403)
PBIR isn't that far away. Take advantage of the cold air if we get another cold front.

P.S. If you do go, remember to wear long pants and closed shoes.

Yeah I've thought about going there before, just haven't gotten around to it. I'm in WPB every few weekens or so anyway, sister/brother in law live off of Lake Worth. I also find myself wearing my shell toe adidas more often than not when I drive the stang, I can't seem to find a comfortable sitting position wearing flip flops lol.

bcbunn 02-08-2012 07:24 PM

I would definitely say your problem is caused by your shorter gears and the automatic transmission. I have the Pirellis also (255), but I have 3.31 gears and a manual, and I haven't had any wheelspin issues off the line. I have, however, experienced a lot of wheel hop on many occasions. This is from launching at ~3k RPMs.

As far as solving the problem, I have no idea. It really is hard to launch some cars well with an automatic transmission