Grill Change Problem - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Grill Change Problem

My dilema is as follows...

I would like to change my upper grill to be a billet grill like the tri-bar MCA.

Doing so will make the honeycomb bottom grill look like trash.

I hate all of the aftermarket billet bottom grill covers.

Removing the honeycomb grill exposes two (very large and unsightly) painted mounting brackets on either side.

Do you think those could be simply cut out with a grinder of some sort to give it the same open type look as the GT/CS facias or even Roush bumpers have?

I appreciate all thoughts and help! Thanks

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 MT Red Candy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
GT Member

I don't know Brackets look..but how about just painting them..what color are they now?

You could cut but you never know if you ever return to stock etc it's going to be a problem..just try to locate what these brackets are connected too and just use your judgment to decide if anything else will be compromised

Pics will help if possible!

GRABBER BLUE 2012 Mustang Coupe V6 Premium|Pony Package*

Performance: Airaid Intake, SCT SF3 Tuner, BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers, LethalPerformance O/R H-Pipe, FRPP Sport Axle-backs, JLT Oil Separator, DriveShaftShop Aluminum Driveshaft.
Suspension: Boss 302 Strut Brace, Steeda: Chrome Moly LCA's, Adj.UCA, Adj.Panhard bar, Ultra-Lite Springs, Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, Heavy-Duty Caster Camber Plates & Trunk X-Brace.
Wheels/Tires: Staggered 19" Forgestar Wheels with Nitto Invo Tires.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
PONY Member

I was worried about the grilles not matching, after I blacked out the MCA and installed it I don't notice it anymore and no one else has said anything other than comment on how much better it looks than the "Pony Grille".. the idea of leaving it open on the bottom sound good, but I haven't removed it and seen what it would look like..

I hope someone comes up with a good suggestion.

2011 V6 Premium ,Grabber Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto/2.73, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package.

Mods, Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels/245-45-19 P-Zeros, Wheel Locks, Ford Accessory Alarm, Ford All-Weather Mats, window tint, spare tire/jack, cam cap mod.
on deck... Polk Audio db571 X 4 speakers & baffles

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2010-2011 FORD MUSTANG V6 FRONT BUMPER COVER | eBay

That should give an idea of what brackets I am talking about. I suppose you would have to snap off (carefully ofcourse) those little tabs all around it too. If it ended up with a jagged edge I guess you could try to retrofit some sort of plastic trim piece to cover down there. I really like the way the Roush bumper shows the radiator behind there.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
GT Member

Oh icic..and ya there's tabs there too..I would just leave it..I can see this becoming a mess very quick lol..or else I think you should be prepared for alittle body work and paint.

Performance: Airaid Intake, SCT SF3 Tuner, BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers, LethalPerformance O/R H-Pipe, FRPP Sport Axle-backs, JLT Oil Separator, DriveShaftShop Aluminum Driveshaft.
Suspension: Boss 302 Strut Brace, Steeda: Chrome Moly LCA's, Adj.UCA, Adj.Panhard bar, Ultra-Lite Springs, Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, Heavy-Duty Caster Camber Plates & Trunk X-Brace.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hmm... maybe I will pull the grill out this weekend to take a look at her in person to make a better decision. Certainly don't want to make it look like some kind of hack job. If I decide to do anything drastic I will surely post pics! Thanks for the input.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbob1111 View Post
Hmm... maybe I will pull the grill out this weekend to take a look at her in person to make a better decision. Certainly don't want to make it look like some kind of hack job. If I decide to do anything drastic I will surely post pics! Thanks for the input.
yup np! you got the right idea tho..take a look after you install the top grille and take it from there..remember the mca edition doesnt have a billet grille at the bottom either..it should look fine.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012
Apprentice

Here are pics of my install. Since mine is Kona blue it was dark enough to blend in. Now a lighter color might not look so good. Also i have trimmed those panels, but I do not think you can cut them fully out because you have to mount the grille to something. Maybe paint them black.

Black Billet Grille Installation | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

First 3.7L Mustang in the 12's
All Things 3.7L Mustang; V6MustangPerformance.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

How do you remove that stock lower grill insert? Seems to me like it should just pull out, but I didn't feel comfortable pulling on it too hard without verification.

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have found best way to pull off lower grille is park close to a curb, when you back out, it will pop out! that is why we see so many with a missing lower grille. have done several times, but it just snaps into slots in bumper, similar to the upper grille. what you could do is cut out just the honeycome part, that will leave a black frame in bumper, so it will still look finished, paint everything behind black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page