v6 bbk headers,gears,tuner, opinions are needed!!!!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres576 View Post
so they dont suspect my car has been raced of any sort. duh!
no im not 12. If i was id be doing pretty dam well with a 2011 v6 dont you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUSA View Post
You would have your mom take it in?

I'm sorry, are you twelve years-old?
That was rhetorical. Look it up before you break your mom's V6.

Black 2011 V6 - Security Package - Spoiler Delete - 93 BAMA Hybrid Tune - JLT CAI - 3.73 FRPP Gears - Boss 302 Steering Wheel - Roush Shift Knob - FRPP Sport Exhaust - Axle Exchange Drive Shaft - J&M LCAs - BMR Front DS Loop - Eibach Pro-Kit - J&M Adjustable Panhard Bar - 19" Brembo GT Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenr1 View Post
Sooooo...

What is it you are worried about? Gas mileage? Noise? Engine wear?

I drive highway as well. The gas mileage suffers by about 4MPG. At 50 miles per day, you will be using about 1 Gallon of gas a day, opposed to ~ .85 Gallons.

I don't notice any real difference in noise. I have a stock exhaust system.

The more things spin the more things wear. How much this will affect the long term durability of the car - I don't know.

What you are left with is a car that is wicked fun to drive. Plus, how many people have 4.10s in their daily driver v6?
well if its not much of a difference then i guess it would be nice to have 4.10s. but on my 19's that i have on now i dont grab traction at all..imagine with 4.10s..id never see any grip

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUSA View Post
That was rhetorical. Look it up before you break your mom's V6.
its not my moms sorry. its mine. go troll somewhere else. find something else to do

Apprentice

Quote:
well if its not much of a difference then i guess it would be nice to have 4.10s. but on my 19's that i have on now i dont grab traction at all..imagine with 4.10s..id never see any grip
Depending on how much you want to spend, there is a Ford Racing Trac-Lok LSD you can install at the same time as your gears, I think it's $270 on AM. It will put power to both wheels (instead of the current 1) and GREATLY improve your off-the-line traction.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Depending on how much you want to spend, there is a Ford Racing Trac-Lok LSD you can install at the same time as your gears, I think it's $270 on AM. It will put power to both wheels (instead of the current 1) and GREATLY improve your off-the-line traction.

ahhh..i see..its kinda pricey but hey traction is something that ruins everything!
Apprentice

Quote:
ahhh..i see..its kinda pricey but hey traction is something that ruins everything!
That, and an LSD can do what a $300 set (for rear only) of street/performance tires is supposed to do - and it won't need to be replaced every X miles.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Plus, how many people have 4.10s in their daily driver v6?
Yeah.. there's a good reason behind that... no one in their right mind would recommend 4.10's for a daily driver... NO ONE.

I wouldn't mind having them as well, but losing 4-5 MPG's is HUGE over the course of a month, a year, etc etc etc... Many high end performance vehicles don't come with gear ratios that high, there's a reason for it, unless it's a straight track/race car.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLomeStang View Post
Yeah.. there's a good reason behind that... no one in their right mind would recommend 4.10's for a daily driver... NO ONE.

I wouldn't mind having them as well, but losing 4-5 MPG's is HUGE over the course of a month, a year, etc etc etc... Many high end performance vehicles don't come with gear ratios that high, there's a reason for it, unless it's a straight track/race car.
The reason for it is that they have MASSIVE amounts of power at their disposal. The lower gear ratios help to make the car drivable with only 6 gears. We do not have that luxury in our v6.

So I was silly in my math before, I said it in 1 way terms. Anyway, lets flesh it out - I think people get irrational over this.

A working year is 200 days. He drives 50 miles highway a day.

Stock 2.73 - 31 MPG - 1.61g/d - 322g/year
4.10s - 26 MPG - 1.92g/d - 384g/year - 62g difference - *$3.50 = $217 MORE per year, or $1.08 MORE a day.
3.73s - 27 MPG - 1.85g/d - 370g/year - 48g difference - *$3.50 = $168 MORE per year, or $0.84 MORE a day.
Difference between 4.10 and 3.73 - $49 a year, or $0.24 MORE a day.
Having 4.10s = Priceless.

Look, you can adjust the MPG as you please, but you can see he is already getting gears - the move to 4.10s will be a noticeable acceleration difference with a very negligible cost increase from 3.73s. I used 200 day years to keep it constant.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

How much do you have to spend?? Your car is a daily driver - right? Get a procharger if you have the money ($5K and $1K install) and don't worry about anything else ... except the driveshaft which you can pick up later (watch your RPMs). You keep you mileage, run 11s at the track, and keep your insurance rates. If that's too much, 3.73s ($180)or 3.55s ($190) and from I understand it will be $3-$400 install; are a great middle of the road gear, and a tune ($390). Get the CAI and catbacks when you get the money. BTW, you're in Vegas and Shelby strips original stuff off of cars all the time and sells them at their parts store. You may want to check and see if they have anything for you.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
The reason for it is that they have MASSIVE amounts of power at their disposal. The lower gear ratios help to make the car drivable with only 6 gears. We do not have that luxury in our v6.

So I was silly in my math before, I said it in 1 way terms. Anyway, lets flesh it out - I think people get irrational over this.

A working year is 200 days. He drives 50 miles highway a day.

Stock 2.73 - 31 MPG - 1.61g/d - 322g/year
4.10s - 26 MPG - 1.92g/d - 384g/year - 62g difference - *$3.50 = $217 MORE per year, or $1.08 MORE a day.
3.73s - 27 MPG - 1.85g/d - 370g/year - 48g difference - *$3.50 = $168 MORE per year, or $0.84 MORE a day.
Difference between 4.10 and 3.73 - $49 a year, or $0.24 MORE a day.
Having 4.10s = Priceless.

Look, you can adjust the MPG as you please, but you can see he is already getting gears - the move to 4.10s will be a noticeable acceleration difference with a very negligible cost increase from 3.73s. I used 200 day years to keep it constant.
I guess this could go back and forth but in reality your MPGS are obviously not accurate ,with 2.73's I don't average nearly 26 miles per gallon, and I do primarily highway driving at conservative speeds. I average about 23, meaning 410's aren't going to touch 20, not in normal driving conditions.

I can't speak about automatic transmissions, but my friend has 4.10 gears in his manual car and it's horrible for street driving, 1st gear is basically useless unless you don't mind shifting immediately, and even starting in second gear his tires spin like mad by just slowly accelerating off the line..

I would think that without doing other mods to your car, like wheels/tires, LCA's etc, 4.10's just wouldn't be practical. If you call the local Steeda shop here in Pompano Beach they won't even install 4.10's they work only with FRRP 3.73's because they say anything more than that is a waste unless you mod the car to be able to handle it.

Hey, what the hell do I know.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLomeStang View Post
I guess this could go back and forth but in reality your MPGS are obviously not accurate ,with 2.73's I don't average nearly 26 miles per gallon, and I do primarily highway driving at conservative speeds. I average about 23, meaning 410's aren't going to touch 20, not in normal driving conditions.

I can't speak about automatic transmissions, but my friend has 4.10 gears in his manual car and it's horrible for street driving, 1st gear is basically useless unless you don't mind shifting immediately, and even starting in second gear his tires spin like mad by just slowly accelerating off the line..

I would think that without doing other mods to your car, like wheels/tires, LCA's etc, 4.10's just wouldn't be practical. If you call the local Steeda shop here in Pompano Beach they won't even install 4.10's they work only with FRRP 3.73's because they say anything more than that is a waste unless you mod the car to be able to handle it.

Hey, what the hell do I know.
Again, I think you are missing the point. 50 miles highway. HIGHWAY. We are talking only highway mileage in his situation. I get 26mpg on the highway with my 4.10s, and that is a FACT. I get 17 in the city.

You missed the point on the second part too - he has an automatic, as do I. I don't care about 1st - my car shifts for me. In fact, it's nice to lurch out of 1st into 2nd when I want to, at 7000+ RPM every time, without having to watch a gauge or listen very carefully.

Modding the car to handle 4.10s is as simple as a tune, LSD, and driveshaft + safety loops, most of which he was already considering.

I don't know why you are so against 4.10s, but it sounds very illogical, especially given the OP's position.

Edit: That sounded more hostile than I wanted - I simply wanted to illustrate that he is obviously looking for the most fun with a minor budget. 4.10s will get him there with only a very minor total cost increase over 3.73s. We aren't talking 4.10s vs. 2.73s here - he's already made the decision to get gears (pretty much).

I say go for it - get gears, tune, driveshaft, LSD, exhaust, suspension package - in that order. Most bang for your buck for the most part. Just go easy on the foot in 1st before you get an LSD with those 19" wheels.
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Genuinely serious question: I thought the stock diffs were LSD? Even down to the 2.73. This particularly for the V6 models, whereas the GT's options liked to leave things ambiguous. If the stock one is, it could be upgraded to a better quality one, but that's a nice chunk of change considering the redundancy.

If you're staying NA, I'd go with AM's BAMA tunes. Tunes for life, etc. As you pick up every item after (gears, exhaust, etc.) you can get them to modify your tune for it.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Again, I think you are missing the point. 50 miles highway. HIGHWAY. We are talking only highway mileage in his situation. I get 26mpg on the highway with my 4.10s, and that is a FACT. I get 17 in the city.

You missed the point on the second part too - he has an automatic, as do I. I don't care about 1st - my car shifts for me. In fact, it's nice to lurch out of 1st into 2nd when I want to, at 7000+ RPM every time, without having to watch a gauge or listen very carefully.

Modding the car to handle 4.10s is as simple as a tune, LSD, and driveshaft + safety loops, most of which he was already considering.

I don't know why you are so against 4.10s, but it sounds very illogical, especially given the OP's position.

Edit: That sounded more hostile than I wanted - I simply wanted to illustrate that he is obviously looking for the most fun with a minor budget. 4.10s will get him there with only a very minor total cost increase over 3.73s. We aren't talking 4.10s vs. 2.73s here - he's already made the decision to get gears (pretty much).

I say go for it - get gears, tune, driveshaft, LSD, exhaust, suspension package - in that order. Most bang for your buck for the most part. Just go easy on the foot in 1st before you get an LSD with those 19" wheels.
Heh, don't worry about hostility, your referring to logical thought out and factual based information, not flaming me with inappropriate nonense, so no worries.

I don't have enough knowledge about gears to truly offer advice, I have just been reading information and threads on gears for the past 6 months and have come across very few people with 4.10's, even fewer people who recommend them, and have personally spoken with two performance shops who say that for daily drivers the answer is absolutely not, perhaps I disliked driving my friends 4.10s because they were paired with a v8, and not our 3.7 V6's lol.

I'm passing the torch on to anyone else who can properly assess the situation, as I'm really not the expert here on gears... again I can only say that the recommendations I've seen from the forum experts are that 3.73's are the all around best.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiK View Post
Genuinely serious question: I thought the stock diffs were LSD? Even down to the 2.73. This particularly for the V6 models, whereas the GT's options liked to leave things ambiguous. If the stock one is, it could be upgraded to a better quality one, but that's a nice chunk of change considering the redundancy.

If you're staying NA, I'd go with AM's BAMA tunes. Tunes for life, etc. As you pick up every item after (gears, exhaust, etc.) you can get them to modify your tune for it.
I actually assumed they were not, given that AM threw one into their project car. I figured since most stock ford v6s were 1-leggers that these were too...but you're right, they have LSD stock. The upgrade was to an Eaton LSD, which puts the power down better than stock, I guess, but that's more expensive.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
wow soo much to take in. Well since the driveshaft is crap they say, 4.10s safe enough?

If i had 6k to dump on it i would, but i think i rather would save those and put them down for a 5.0. Feels better to tell people yeah its a v8.

Yeah i got a 15% off AM off my entire order so me and some friends are saving up and gonna get stuff. a local shop charges me 600 for gears+labor+liquids. shelby motorsports charges me 850..soo yeah.

So lethal performance has the x pipe for 200 and says 14-16rwhp. if so thats pretty good! but which x or h pipe..both say the same thing.

i got the cai already. tuner will be ordered also. also looking at lower control arms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page