Wandering Idle After Tune and CAI - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Wandering Idle After Tune and CAI

Has anyone else noticed this?

It's been almost a week since I installed the Airaid CAI and Bama Tune (87S) and while the extra grunt is really nice, my idle RPM looks like it's still trying to figure itself out. It dips to 500 and then raises back to 750 and repeat. If it leave it idling, it calms itself down. I think it's getting better throughout the week, but it hasn't stabilized, even after 20+ engine start/stops.

Is this normal? The last time I disconnected the battery (without CAI or Tune), it didn't take nearly as long to re-learn the idle RPM.

2011 Mustang V6 MCA PP Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012
JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonFyre View Post
Has anyone else noticed this?

It's been almost a week since I installed the Airaid CAI and Bama Tune (87S) and while the extra grunt is really nice, my idle RPM looks like it's still trying to figure itself out. It dips to 500 and then raises back to 750 and repeat. If it leave it idling, it calms itself down. I think it's getting better throughout the week, but it hasn't stabilized, even after 20+ engine start/stops.

Is this normal? The last time I disconnected the battery (without CAI or Tune), it didn't take nearly as long to re-learn the idle RPM.
Not normal, right after tuning yes, but the ecm learns the new parameters pretty quick. The AM tuners are gone for the night, but call early tomorrow and they'll resend your tune if needed. Chris Young left early for the weekend, so he won't answer the Bama tune thread till Monday. You can try disconnecting negative terminal for 10 minutes, that's helped some in the past.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks, I'll try the disconnect first.

My order of install was disconnect negative, install CAI, reconnect, (did not start engine), install tune, start engine. Maybe it just needs another "reboot"...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Sooo...I found the problem. The filter had fallen off. Apparently, when you tighten the clamp too much, it squeezes the rubber tube of the filter right off the intake pipe.

It must have came off the day after I installed the intake. 5 days with no filter. Horrible

From what I've read, I should probably change my oil, check the throttle body for dirt, and fill up with fuel injector cleaner. Does that sound about right? Or is that overkill? I don't think it the air was particularly dusty in the past week...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012
Beast3.7

I had it happen on my Z once. I just put the filter back on and had no issues.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012
JeffOden

Spray out your throttle body, maybe some fuel injector cleaner. But your probably fine, unless you've been running it thru the sand, or a dust storm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012

This happens to my vehicle on occasion, it has less than 10,000 miles on it and the filter is on properly. I presumed this was normal because it has done it since day one
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012
PONY Member

I've noticed mine will do the same from time to time.

I just assumed the car thought it was a real horse and was impatient when waiting for a red light .

2012 MCA V6, Kona Blue, Stone Leather, HIDs, Performance Pack, Reverse Sensing, Interior Upgrade, Comfort Pack, Medium tint, Carbon fiber splash guards, JTL oil separator, Borla ATAK AB exhaust, American Muscle 1/4 window louvers, Hood spear decals, Raxiom rear tail lights, Steeda LCAs, Ford Racing panhard bar

Order: 6/28 VIN: 8/23 WS: 8/30 Build: 9/6 Arrived: 9/20 Pickup: 9/22
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I wouldn't do anything beside clamping the filter back on and checking it every once in a while.

No need for fuel injector cleaner or any of that junk since any dirt that got past the air filter wouldn't get in the fuel system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
idle , intake , tune , unstable , wandering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page