Urgent - airaid install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012 Thread Starter

Urgent - airaid install

Hi,

I just installed my airaid intake on the 3.7. For the MAF sensor installation it said DO NOT USE FACTORY SCREWS, however, i had no choice because the supplied screws were not supplied by a piece compatible to screw them in. I used the factory screws, this is TEMPORARY, would any harm come by using factory screws for the time being despite airaid stating not to?

I'd like to know before I even start the car.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012
GT Member

Yeah. The threads are different from what I recall. You probably just stripped out the threads on the Airaid box.

Boop-dee-doop...

Displacement makes you complacent
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012 Thread Starter

Everything is in there tight and sealed, should I be worried?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
Yeah. The threads are different from what I recall. You probably just stripped out the threads on the Airaid box.

Boop-dee-doop...

The MAF sensor connects to the tube.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012
Apprentice

As long as it's in there tight your okay. As far as the screw holes u probably cross threaded the holes so Basically if u ever need to pull out the sensor you more then likely won't be able to screw it back in. You should of went back to stock until you got the right screws but what's done is done. So just hope you never need to remove the sensor. Cause u probably will need a new intake tube

2013 5.0
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I'm trying to understand what was missing from the Airaid kit, just the tool for the supplied screws?

Seems like making sure you had the correct tools before starting would have been the thing to do.

But so long as the sensor is sealed to the tube and installed in the right direction then it should work fine but like was said above, you may have a problem if you ever need to change it out.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebomb View Post
As long as it's in there tight your okay. As far as the screw holes u probably cross threaded the holes so Basically if u ever need to pull out the sensor you more then likely won't be able to screw it back in. You should of went back to stock until you got the right screws but what's done is done. So just hope you never need to remove the sensor. Cause u probably will need a new intake tube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
I'm trying to understand what was missing from the Airaid kit, just the tool for the supplied screws?

Seems like making sure you had the correct tools before starting would have been the thing to do.

But so long as the sensor is sealed to the tube and installed in the right direction then it should work fine but like was said above, you may have a problem if you ever need to change it out.
Yes, I should have looked if all the necessary tools were included before installing. The sensor, I assume is in the correct direction (I lined up the holes for the screws, there was only one direction where they lined up properly, and I'm not getting any engine codes).

The missing piece was the bit that would be used to screw the supplied screws, since I did not have that piece, there was no possible way of screwing in those screws.

I drove the car, everything seems to work fine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012 Thread Starter

Also, if the factory screws fit. Why would they not fit upon removing them and once again screwing them?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Law Dog Send a message via Skype™ to Law Dog
they wouldnt fit because the original tube has different sized holes than the new tube. Thats why they send different screws
Banned

if i recall it was an allen wrench that is used to screw those screws in.. you didnt have one laying around?
Apprentice

When I did mine the factory piece was just plastic so the screws were similar to wood screws that were used. The Airaid piece had little threaded metal inserts molded into the plastic so a machine screw was provided. But they didn't include the tool to tighten them, just the machine screws.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
they wouldnt fit because the original tube has different sized holes than the new tube. Thats why they send different screws
The factory screws did fit, perfect actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
When I did mine the factory piece was just plastic so the screws were similar to wood screws that were used. The Airaid piece had little threaded metal inserts molded into the plastic so a machine screw was provided. But they didn't include the tool to tighten them, just the machine screws.
That is correct.

So from my understanding, there is really no issue unless I were to disassemble the MAF sensor from the tube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page