Ford Mustang Forum banner

Shaftmasters is back online for 2011+ V6

6K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  Beast3.7 
G
#1 ·
We now have more choices again for driveshafts. Both the auto and manual shafts are $699 and come with a BMR safety loop. After a lot of testing(with one of our forum members technical help) they fully feel their failure problems are resolved.
Shaftmasters 3.7L Mustang Driveshaft Issues Resolved | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

As I said on the other driveshaft thread it just makes me wonder, if all one piece shafts need safety loops then why are only ours sold including one as a package deal? We need it, but so do the others.
Ford Mustang Aluminum Driveshaft 3.5"

Any way, make a choice.

#3 ·
So after reading the article, I have a question. When attempting to decrease speed from high speed runs or dyno pulls, is it still necessary to slowly let off the rpms? Or can they just let go of the gas?

In addition, it almost sounds as if the same proceedure can be used for the stock driveshaft without failure?

In any event. Great findings and I can only say THANK YOU for the additional work and R&D. This will be next mod after my axlebacks come in. CANNOT beat the included safety loop.

G
#6 ·
So after reading the article, I have a question. When attempting to decrease speed from high speed runs or dyno pulls, is it still necessary to slowly let off the rpms? Or can they just let go of the gas?

In addition, it almost sounds as if the same proceedure can be used for the stock driveshaft without failure?

We hit send at the same time...
1st question, Yes I would. Why put that shock load on to any drive line it it isn't necessary.

But the stock driveshafts have given way on stock cars just cruising at 40mph. Not just at the end of dyno runs. So take your chances dynoing a stock shaft.

G
#4 ·
One piece of advise for us Automatic guys. After reading the first link on the testing(thanks Ltngdrvr for that link), no matter what driveshaft you have let off the throttle slowly at the end of the run! Shock loading is the culprit to these failures.

#5 ·
Cool, thanks. That answers my question.

So on to another point. On lowered cars, does the pinion angle still need to be adjusted to prevent breakage of the DS be it stock or otherwise?

#7 ·
It is always recommended to have the proper pinion angle when installing a DS..still recommended even with the cv in the rear..another reason why I picked up my adj. UCA.

#8 ·
Ok so now are main options are shaft masters, the axle exchange and drive shaft shop..any others?

#12 ·
Excellent news! I'm happy to see more options coming out for our cars. At this point...for me anyway, it will come down to the price point. I won't think twice about spending more money for a better product...but as far as this goes, they all seem to be made with quality in mind.

Perhaps someone else can chime in on this...but would there be any reason to spend more money on a DSS shaft, versus, let's say the Shaftmaster shaft?

#14 ·
The DSS shaft is much stronger and has a higher critical speed because it uses CV joints instead of having the sliding section and regular u-joints.

The thing you have to ask yourself is > do you need the extra strength and speed potential to make the extra expense worth it?

#16 ·
#18 ·
#19 ·
Here is an article that explains critical speed, and allows you to calculate critical speed. The information you need to input are:
1. Tube outside diameter
2. Material thickness
3. Tube length

All Aluminum driveshafts are made from 6061 Aluminum T6 condition.

The outputs are:

Tube weight (Calculated from dimensions and density)
Critical Speed (Calculated from dimensions)
Torsional Yield (Calculated from Mod. of elasticity and dimensions)

Two driveshafts made from the same base metal and same diameter, thickness and tube length will have the same critical speed.

Driveshaft Critical Speed

#29 ·
You would need to know your driveshaft diameter, thickness, and tube length, as well as the base metal (Carbon fider, Aluminum, steel or 4130 steel). Surprisingly enough, tire size and rear end ratio do not ome into play. They would come into play if you need to know the MPH you would be going when you reached your critical driveshaft speed. If you go to the link I posted earlier, then click the home button, these answers can be found. You can also google driveshaft critical speed, and there are several websites that provide lots of information.

#31 ·
Is it only necessary to replace the DS when using your car on the drag strip? As a daily driver would it be necessary to replace the DS if you have headers and gears due to the increased hp and acceleration? But it's not like I'm going over 100mph to work n back everyday lol.

#42 ·
-6% for the Axle Exchange through AM's discount or $647

G
#48 ·
All I know is every time I go to the website, they aren't in stock but the price keeps increasing. Now the aren't even listed, ugh. It's a shame because he's finally having a sale and I can't get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.