When Is Ford Going To Step Up - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Well, I'll attempt my best @ diplomatically playing both sides. At first glance, from a logical engineering perspective, ford dropped the ball on the V6 shaft. A hollow shaft with the CV essentially in the middle, is going to get out of wack @ some RPM. Now what that RPM is and whether it is the owner's fault for exceeding the limitations is somewhat debatable, that's all I have to offer. I WILL be uprgrading my DS in the near future just for peace of mind. Is Ford expected to do anything really though? Why would they recall/change it? A large portion of V6 drivers report the apprehension of exceeding 115 , or tracking their car on a stock DS...please? AFAIK the stock DS is sufficient unless the you exceed the 115-120 mark......then an aftermarket option is on you.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviedon View Post
Well, I'll attempt my best @ diplomatically playing both sides. At first glance, from a logical engineering perspective, ford dropped the ball on the V6 shaft. A hollow shaft with the CV essentially in the middle, is going to get out of wack @ some RPM. Now what that RPM is and whether it is the owner's fault for exceeding the limitations is somewhat debatable, that's all I have to offer. I WILL be uprgrading my DS in the near future just for peace of mind. Is Ford expected to do anything really though? Why would they recall/change it? A large portion of V6 drivers report the apprehension of exceeding 115 , or tracking their car on a stock DS...please? AFAIK the stock DS is sufficient unless the you exceed the 115-120 mark......then an aftermarket option is on you.
Since you asked, I've hit over 115 plenty of times in my vehicle. No vibrations, no breakage. *Knocks on wood.*

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOden View Post
WOW! The stupid level on this forum is just about maxed out right now. There have been numerous DS failures on unmodded, yes stock cars, that have never seen any where near triple digit speeds, or a dynomometer! Why do you Bozos blaim every bad thing on mods, and speed demons? Some where caused by that, yes. But every day drivers crusing down the road, and their DS explodes...
Here is one example, y'all should use the search engine and educate yourselves.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ft-broken.html
You've cited 1 example -- from almost a year ago. Where is there a recurring issue (i.e. a defect, a design flaw, not a 1 in 20,000 fluke) that Ford needs to step up and fix?

Sorry but failures as a result of structural integrity ARE going to happen more often when limits are pressed, not in everyday conditions

Show a recurrence of these failures under normal operating conditions and I will be the first to retract my comments

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs

JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
Haha! I just tossed in my two cents without reading JeffOden's response. Sorry. :p

Guess I jumped on the band wagon too soon.
NP Cannonballer, I haven't bought my replacement DS yet either, doing wood floors in the house right now, and my gun hobby is slowing down the process too. I have a big discount through AM, so I may get theirs, or maybe the new shaftmasters one. Can't afford the best one, DSS is a bit over kill for my application and budget.
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My concern about the driveshaft failure is my own opinion.I have had friends of mine driveshafts break and it's not pretty.Some on the Dyno,some on the street.

I never once said to go 2 or 3 times the legal speed limit.Here's my point.As time goes on and people race these cars at the drag strip or road course this becomes a saftey issue bottom line.

2011 V6 wife's car 3.31's
2012 GT 3.73's
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geardriven View Post
My concern about the driveshaft failure is my own opinion.I have had friends of mine driveshafts break and it's not pretty.Some on the Dyno,some on the street.

I never once said to go 2 or 3 times the legal speed limit.Here's my point.As time goes on and people race these cars at the drag strip or road course this becomes a saftey issue bottom line.
But clearly from this ^ post you affirm that you are talking about about driving at racing speed, legally or not.

And if you (general third person you, not you) are going to drive your car at excessive speed and beyond its design limits, then safety is YOUR responsibility.

I am not going to attempt to compare the physics of a rotating dyno drum to a stationery road, and please dont try to argue that the planet is spinning under your wheels in the same manner as a dyno.

JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
You've cited 1 example -- from almost a year ago. Where is there a recurring issue (i.e. a defect, a design flaw, not a 1 in 20,000 fluke) that Ford needs to step up and fix?

Sorry but failures as a result of structural integrity ARE going to happen more often when limits are pressed, not in everyday conditions

Show a recurrence of these failures under normal operating conditions and I will be the first to retract my comments
Dude it takes 30 seconds to search, here is another unmoded forum member during normal driving. No mods, no racing, no dynos. There are several more if you want to find them. But I'm sure you won't, and I'm pretty sure you won't retract any comments either.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-exploded.html
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

"Several" out of how many units produced?

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Looks to me like a beefier driveshaft is not necessarily what Ford should concentrate on, but improved QC inspections instead? Perhaps select one out of hoewever many produced in a particular cycle and wring the thing ragged, to make sure tolerances aren't slipping during the manufacturing process? What about the steel that's being used? Is it all coming from the same source? If so, is that source being regularly checked for contamination? I don't know if any of this even applies. I'm just thinking of my younger days as a plastic molding injection machine operator. QC inspections were endless. Find even one drop of oil contamination and the parts go bye-bye until the contaminants are purged and nothing but clean product comes out. You'd think there'd be something similar in place for these DS's? Maybe corners are being cut somewhere? Who knows?
JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post

How Many? I posted another one for you just like you asked, and I've found more, if I post those will retract your comments? Nope. Why do I waist my time...
Banned

Thumbs up

Jeff, you're a true aesthete/kindred spirit if your gun hobby is interfering with your car mods. With me (20,000 rifle rounds loaded on a single-stage 1989-2006), it's the other way around. Damn cars.....
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

How many have failed under normal operating conditions?

How many who "said" it happened under normal operating conditions were being forthright and not scapegoating Ford to get out of being responsible for trashing their cars at excessive speed?

I would think if this was anything but isolated incidents there would be a news story somewhere on the web, but there is not. I could not find even one

mustang driveshaft failure - Google Search

ford driveshaft failure - Google Search

eclypse3demons

stock non modded the current DS is appropriate. =) unlock the limiter and drive past if it breaks its not fords fault =)
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

Im pretty sure American Muscle had a stocker shaft break on them while cruising down the highway. Granted, their car isnt stock (at all), but no 'abuse' was taking place at that particular moment.

And speaking of abuse...

2012 Mustang 3.7l v6- 1/8th mile racing against 3vs + others - YouTube

2012 Mustang 3.7l v6 1/4mile runs- [email protected] - YouTube

2012 Mustang 3.7 m6 v6 dyno-279whp 270wtq - YouTube

Those dyno pulls reached 142mph 3 times....

::::KNOCK ON WOOD:::: I guess Im a lucky one. Still planning on upgrading the shaft, eventually, but Im still a skeptic on whether its the shaft itself, or whatever's causing the vibration thats likely busting the shafts....
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Is the TC trying to run for office or something? If other people want to push the stock DS to the limit, let them. No need to get all hyped up over why Ford did or didn't do something... If you don't feel it's safe enough for you, go get a new one. They're really not that expensive compared to the catastrophic outcome of a driveshaft break otherwise, are they?

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page