When Is Ford Going To Step Up - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
 
RodgerJerney's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern
Posts: 896
 
It will be interesting to see if the stock drive shaft is still holding up after 5-10 years of rust and metal fatigue work on it. If some have failed already, you have to wonder.....

My car is on order. My Axle Exchange aluminum drive shaft is on the floor behind me.


`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
RodgerJerney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
JLomeStang's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,898
 
Personally I think FORD has already DRASTICALLY stepped up their cars.... hence why I now own an American Made car, which 3-4 years ago I would have laughed at the idea of even considering it. The inside of our Mustangs finally doesn't look like a giant piece of ****! I've always liked the outside, but I couldn't handle the fact that Honda Accord's had MUCH nicer interior than the Fords, that's finally not the case.

And it's funny that there is an entire thread about this now, considering I myself posted a very similiar question only a few days ago on another thread... anyhow, While I'd love to see a recall and get this POS DS out of my car, I don't see FORD making any changes for us 2011,2012 folk due to "some" issues... how mnay millions of these cards have been sold? I doubt anything will be done over a "few incidents" (few in the eyes of a major corporation)... but who knows, that would be great to get a free higher quality DS for free.


Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
JLomeStang is offline  
Apprentice
 
farmerbob1111's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 159
 
On a more friendly note... those carbon fiber drive shafts sure are sweet. I would LOVE to have one.

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 MT Red Candy
farmerbob1111 is offline  
 
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
JLomeStang's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,898
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbob1111 View Post
On a more friendly note... those carbon fiber drive shafts sure are sweet. I would LOVE to have one.
As would I! It would be nice to look at while I'm changing my oil, lol.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
JLomeStang is offline  
PONY Member
 
chadhtx35's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Lewisville
Posts: 637
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
The cause of the failure is not upgrading the gears, it is driving the car with upgraded gears at twice the speed limit.

You can't just slap on an aftermarket performance part (in this case gears) and push the car's limits without accepting that you might require other prerequisite upgrades

And my stated "5% of owners" is probably a gross exaggeration

Better engineered driveshafts are available. If you think Ford / Ford Racing should offer an aftermarket driveshaft, or even as a factory option, that makes perfect sense, but to put in a performance driveshaft as a stock part and bump the price of the V6 is a bad business move.

A stronger driveshaft would fall under the category of a ''would be nice feature", it does not fall under the "must have". Ford set the stock speed limiter to 115 or so for a reason so people don't abuse the driveshaft. For the 2011 v6 mustang Ford only offers a tune up to the 3.31 gear ratio last time I heard. So going with 3.73 like I have or 4.10 require a special non-dealership tune which they don't necessarily encourage or support. If you modify a car you have to look at all aspects and make a decision to modify weak points that can fail due to the modifications.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

chadhtx35 is offline  
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
JLomeStang's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,898
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhtx35 View Post
A stronger driveshaft would fall under the category of a ''would be nice feature", it does not fall under the "must have". Ford set the stock speed limiter to 115 or so for a reason so people don't abuse the driveshaft. For the 2011 v6 mustang Ford only offers a tune up to the 3.31 gear ratio last time I heard. So going with 3.73 like I have or 4.10 require a special non-dealership tune which they don't necessarily encourage or support. If you modify a car you have to look at all aspects and make a decision to modify weak points that can fail due to the modifications.
Yes, but it has already been covered in this thread that there have been standard DS failures, amongst stock cars, during normal driving conditions..... so.......... ?????

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
JLomeStang is offline  
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
MCA2011's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,635
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLomeStang View Post
Yes, but it has already been covered in this thread that there have been standard DS failures, amongst stock cars, during normal driving conditions..... so.......... ?????
I've ask before and I'll ask again... Is there anything to substantiate that these claims were (1) more than a couple of isolated flukes or... (2) truly at normal driving speed and not some guy saying he was at normal driving speed when in fact he was pushing the limits and ... (3) why is the not a single news story to be found about a driveshaft failure issue, tragic mishap / loss of life, etc - the only "reports" are forum posts and youtube vids (on dynos at high speed with a "road" that rotates under the wheels - totally different physics than driving on the surface of a planet)

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
MCA2011 is offline  
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
JLomeStang's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,898
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
I've ask before and I'll ask again... Is there anything to substantiate that these claims were (1) more than a couple of isolated flukes or... (2) truly at normal driving speed and not some guy saying he was at normal driving speed when in fact he was pushing the limits and ... (3) why is the not a single news story to be found about a driveshaft failure issue, tragic mishap / loss of life, etc - the only "reports" are forum posts and youtube vids (on dynos at high speed with a "road" that rotates under the wheels - totally different physics than driving on the surface of a planet)
Well, that was sort of my point originally, if it weren't for these forums, none of us would even be aware of these issues, unless you knew someone it happened to... so without this being massively publicized, and linked to possible injury and/or death, the only people who are going to care are those of us on the forums.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
JLomeStang is offline  
PONY Member
 
chadhtx35's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Lewisville
Posts: 637
 
I'm with MCA on this. The V6 Stock shaft is built for the V6 Stock unmodded Mustang under 115mph(stock)

Are there any resolved or pending lawsuits against Ford in regards to driveshaft issues? That's my first question regardless of what is said, I'm asking because I am unaware of any.

The only thing that is fact due to evidence is that drive shafts have split in half. We have also seen video evidence of drive shafts breaking on the dyno, and a few guys going 135 on the stock DS.

Does video evidence or if possible data logging show any failures for normal driving on stock cars, and does anyone have any data for percentages of cars produced vs cars reported with drive shaft issues on bone stock v6 mustang?

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

chadhtx35 is offline  
PONY Member
 
Plumbago's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 562
 
Can't you see that "geardriven" started this post just to wind some of you 3.7 boys up? And his follow up comments are still nothing but troll fodder..........If you have elected to mod your vehicle, you, not Ford simply need to add the proper drive shaft mod also. Leave Ford out of it. They will fix any true warrantee failures..... and stop the whine.....best regards Plum
Plumbago is offline  
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
JLomeStang's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,898
 
From what I understand the answer is "yes" there have been multiple documented failures at speeds of 80 MPH and under, under normal driving conditions... but please understand, this is not something that I am claiming, just stuff I have read.... so I don't know the details, facts, truths, behind it.

Wrxified, you around? lol, I have a feeling wrx will know more on this issue.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
JLomeStang is offline  
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: LA
Posts: 2,153
 
There have been none that could be proved to be under 80 MPH. The driveshaft that snapped on the dyno had at the very least a tuner and he went past the speed limiter to 162 MPH on the stock shaft. It only makes sense that it might break... or it might not. How do you know that the shafts that broke weren't just mechanically deficit from the factory and would have broken anyway. Rest assured ford did plenty of R&D, they did their job, your stock driveshaft wont explode on you going under 80 or WOT or racing. I have taken my car up to 100 and past with no vibrations or shudders in the drive line. If you want to play past 115 then get a new ds especially if you have 3.73 gears.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
powerwhee is offline  
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
JLomeStang's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,898
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
There have been none that could be proved to be under 80 MPH. The driveshaft that snapped on the dyno had at the very least a tuner and he went past the speed limiter to 162 MPH on the stock shaft. It only makes sense that it might break... or it might not. How do you know that the shafts that broke weren't just mechanically deficit from the factory and would have broken anyway. Rest assured ford did plenty of R&D, they did their job, your stock driveshaft wont explode on you going under 80 or WOT or racing. I have taken my car up to 100 and past with no vibrations or shudders in the drive line. If you want to play past 115 then get a new ds especially if you have 3.73 gears.
I'm not arguing with you, because I don't know the facts... but where/how do you claim that? I have heard the exact opposite more than once on these forums, so once again... how do you know?

Anyway, I agree with the rest of your post, until/IF I get 3.73's I won't be changing out my driveshaft, not because it's not smart, but because I rarely street race, haven't been on the track, and only occasional go over 100... not to mention, if a stock 305 horsepower car can't handle 100 MPH speeds, then I'd say the entire car is a POS and not just the driveshaft! (I know, that's a ridiculous statement to make, just having fun). But yeah, if/when I do tune/gears, I'll probably do it along with a new DS.

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
JLomeStang is offline  
GT Member
 
solidhadriel's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 1,502
 
I'm trying hard to keep myself out of this conversation, but I do want to add that:

1) There have been very few document occurrences where people claim the car was all stock and the DS broke
2) Within those occurrences, nearly every single one of those cars had been driven hard prior to the occurrence
3) Assuming only 10,000 mustangs were built (yeah right, lol) and 50 of them were reported with a DS failure (I've yet to find even 15 report a broken DS), that's still less than half a percent. I believe in those instances something else was afoot. Like a QA inspection.

I've exceeded 115MPH on various occassions, have had my car dyno'd numerous times, have aftermarket gears and my DS is still holding strong.

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
solidhadriel is offline  
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
JLomeStang's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,898
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
I'm trying hard to keep myself out of this conversation, but I do want to add that:

1) There have been very few document occurrences where people claim the car was all stock and the DS broke
2) Within those occurrences, nearly every single one of those cars had been driven hard prior to the occurrence
3) Assuming only 10,000 mustangs were built (yeah right, lol) and 50 of them were reported with a DS failure (I've yet to find even 15 report a broken DS), that's still less than half a percent. I believe in those instances something else was afoot. Like a QA inspection.

I've exceeded 115MPH on various occassions, have had my car dyno'd numerous times, have aftermarket gears and my DS is still holding strong.
Well, your only re-confirming what I stated above... the ratio of bad DS to all sold Mustangs is basically MOOT, and like I said because of that, nobody but us Forum goers is going to care, or even know about it... the only thing I'd say about your last point is this.

2) Within those occurrences, nearly every single one of those cars had been driven hard prior to the occurrence - That's sort of a pointless comment, Mustangs are sold/purchased to be driven hard!! CMON!!! (hehe, I know, I know).


Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
JLomeStang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1