When Is Ford Going To Step Up - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
JeffOden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
The cause of the failure is not upgrading the gears, it is driving the car with upgraded gears at twice the speed limit.

You can't just slap on an aftermarket performance part (in this case gears) and push the car's limits without accepting that you might require other prerequisite upgrades

And my stated "5% of owners" is probably a gross exaggeration

Better engineered driveshafts are available. If you think Ford / Ford Racing should offer an aftermarket driveshaft, or even as a factory option, that makes perfect sense, but to put in a performance driveshaft as a stock part and bump the price of the V6 is a bad business move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBlackStang View Post
I think you're being a bit too dramatic. The factory speed limiter is there to prevent the driveshaft failure. If you decide to disable it, your call. Also, I have not heard of anyone dying from this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr's stang View Post
Yep, I'm with the masses on this one. The stock ds performs flawlessly under the conditions for which is was meant. If you want it to perform beyond stock expectation, expect to replace it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
^^^Good point. Besides, I've never taken my car up to triple digit speeds except two times, and I used to live in the country. Those two times I was up in those speeds are not a speed I would recommend on a daily basis (or period).

The new V6 Mustang was about having affordable performance in a fuel efficient car, not the whole race package.

To be honest, if it's seriously a concern that you cant go 130 on a daily basis, then you're just straight up stupid. Ford isn't going to install a better DS stock and increase the price just so people can drive crazier and get in more wrecks from being idiots. If you want to go faster, that's what the aftermarket is for. And another question. WHAT kind of safety concerns are you talking about when you're going freaking 130 MPH?

I guess you want them to add some better tires on the car stock then, right? Because your stock tires sure as hell cant handle 130 MPH on a daily basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
And that was the main point of my post too. These stock driveshafts are fine until you get any gearing higher than factory 3.31.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Quote:
That's odd that you would say they are stock, Ant Speed and others in the thread you furnished showed 3.55 and 3.73 gears and you can stop speaking for me. If you are going to expect that I do my homework and read the thread that you read, then I suggest you should do something to improve your reading comprehension.

So we're up to 6 now. Is that 6 out of roughtly 60,000 cars in the 2011/12 model years? 1/100th of 1% I would say that is stellar QC.

And as soon as a failure occurs on a dyno, you've changed the physics of the drivetrain and all bets are off. Last time I checked the power produced by a car does not rotate the road underneath. I'm not suggesting dynos are inherently bad for cars, but the interaction between a car and a drum rotating under the car's torque are quite different.

Ford can do warranty work at their discretion, but that has nothing to do with whether the cars were abused by Vin Diesel or driven by your grandmother
I know it's hard MCA but try to focus, just like a laser beam. 5 (allegedly) stock cars, with no gears, under normal driving conditions, plus Ant Speeds unstock car with gears (3.55), had(allegedly) their DS's replaced under Ford warranty. Plus AM's car, CFM's car, all those Dyno's gone bad, etc...not under Ford warranty. This is out of 37,202 V6 mustangs produced in 2011, not 60K.

The OP may have been using the forum to Rant, maybe trolling, IDK. But the first 5 or 6 post on here, all said, and I paraphrase here, "that's only cause they had gears, and disabled the speed limiter" or "caused by bad dyno's running at 160+mph". When I stated that was not always the case, those cases were dismissed as lying bloggers on the interwebz. Ford is not going to recall these because they are not Honda, only if this gets much worse.

I didn't orginally post on this thread because it looked like the OP was ranting/trolling. Only when everyone pilled on, saying "yeah +1 on that ^, it's all due to mods and disabled speed limiters", then I piped in. I quit looking at this post after putting the second link, but I gave into temptation. I now see how wrong I was to try and reason with people who already completly have their minds made up on a subject. Don't confuse them with facts, because they are all lies and conspiracies on the interwebz if it doesn't fit their view. OK, now I'm done with this thread, way past time to move on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Six documented driveshaft failures so far. Wow. That is such a small percentage you could account to anything at all. Many more things have failed at a higher documented percentage rate other than the drive shaft but suddenly you need to be careful of it exploding on you in normal driving right when aftermarket driveshafts are coming out. A conspiracy maybe Six shafts out of the thousands produced could have had anything wrong with them for them to malfunction how they did not just the gears or the tune or the normal driving. they could have just been made faulty from the factory and passed through quality control. Many many people abuse the stock shaft and it holds up fine

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
PONY Member

lol, This has been a rather funny and interesting thread.

Sorry but the whole " ford offers gears, so therefore they should acknowledge a problem with stock DS" is a completely stupid and ludicrous argument.

That would be like a 5.0 member on here Trying to get ford to acknowledge a integrity problem with the 5.0 engine, because he bought a ford racing supercharger, but because he wasn't smart enough to get forged internals, he blew the engine and now wants ford to acknowledge a problem and do something about it.

I think it is evident at this point our stock DS are not that strong. They could be ALOT stronger. Look at the companies that are now making replacement DS's. But............

if it was an unbelievable and unfortunate flaw in the DS design they would be poping left and right like teenies on prom night. And im sorry, but I have no tune, just AB's, and I drive my mustang well...... like it should be driven.

If it pops tomorrow ill say sh!t, and get ford to cover it, to get my DD back on the road ASAP, all while ordering a better one ASAP and puttin it on myself. These things are complex machines. Things break. If someone doesnt understand this about cars, especially sports cars, then you need to start riding a huffy to work everyday.

Also this is an online forum. You dont come on here if you hate mustangs, hate sports cars, hate modding, hate driving fast, or at least driving fast up too the speed limit (lol :hihi etc. I personally dont care if 5-6 people claim there were "driving normal" when the stock DS broke, as for all you know they could have been raggin the car out all week, and the one time they do drive normal, BOOM. For all you know they could be a fat chick named Pam, who really owns a Camaro, and loves toaster strudels. Lol,... this is a forum..... there is no such thing as credentials here.

So in summury, could the stock DS be better: OF COURSE!
Should everyone on here eventually get one: OF COURSE!
Is it a horrible design flaw: NO.

Because if it was... every single friggin' member in this sub-forum would have poped one by now... not just 5-6 "completely stock" drivers, plus more that actually admitted tunes and some race-inspired driving habits.

/ End thread.

MACH I Member

I took mine off.

It's one thing for Ford to deny any responsibility, until it breaks and causes failure and they fix it.

It's another thing to have my personalized Mustang I have worked so many hours in to get totaled and risk my own life because one corporation doesn't want to step up and provide us a safe product.

If they do a recall, I will hand them my OEM driveshaft and demand a replacement and reimbursement of my current driveshaft for their negligence of time it took to develop a safe product.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
If they do a recall, I will hand them my OEM driveshaft and demand a replacement and reimbursement of my current driveshaft for their negligence of time it took to develop a safe product.
If they do a recall, they will dutifully replace your DS along with mine and they will laugh in your face for demanding reimbursement for buying a replacement on your own. If they do a recall after completing their research and analysis, there is no negligence. There might be negligence if there are "enough" occurences and they turn a blind eye for an "excessive" period time, the values of "enough" and "excessive" being the qualifiers

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
GT Member

This thread is truly a waste of bandwidth. It's like trying to sit around with a bunch of tree hugging hippies to determine the meaning of life. It's also one of probably less than 5 threads I've participated in, then purposefully clicked on the unsubscribe link to avoid further involvement.

There is no end to this type of discussion.

Displacement makes you complacent
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
This thread is truly a waste of bandwidth. It's like trying to sit around with a bunch of tree hugging hippies to determine the meaning of life. It's also one of probably less than 5 threads I've participated in, then purposefully clicked on the unsubscribe link to avoid further involvement.

There is no end to this type of discussion.
Yeah +1...... Looks like this thread is doing nothing but causing hatred amongst members for no necessary reason.... so let's all come to the following conclusion and end this perhaps?

1. The stock Drive Shaft is a piece of shi7
2. You have the option of replacing it if you would like
3. If you drive like an ass or do mods that put your car in a dangerous situation, it's your fault, not Fords.
4. Until it becomes a massively known issue, and injuries/deaths are related to it, nothing is going to be done about it.

and lastly, the fact that any of you are trying to use "forum searched" numbers as actual facts "like 6 driveshafts out of all Mustangs sold" is just simply retarded... you people do realize that MOST of the Mustang world has no idea this forum even exsits, never mind posts on it??? so you have heard of 6 issues out of members who post on forums, but you have no way of comparing numbers amongst the rest of the entire Mustang world... so once again, let's just get over it.. buy a DS if you want, don't buy a DS if you choose not too.

Cool?

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I heard so much about possible exploding drive shafts that I took mine off to avoid possible damage. Now I need some help... the car doesn't seem to want to move anymore no matter what gear I select. Do you think I have the dreaded MT82 problems as well?

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
I heard so much about possible exploding drive shafts that I took mine off to avoid possible damage. Now I need some help... the car doesn't seem to want to move anymore no matter what gear I select. Do you think I have the dreaded MT82 problems as well?
The MT82 has problems? How come I haven't ever heard of this before???? Should I be worried???

Current - 2013 Charger R/T Plus - 5.7L Hemi | Heated/Ventilated Seats | Heated/Cooled Cup Holders | 8.9 Inch Touch Screen | Electronic Adjustable Pedals | Full Memory Control Push Button EKF | Debating Exhaust.

Past - 2011 Mustang 3.7, Kona Blue, 6MT - | FRPP Sport Exhaust | Airaid CAI | OEM Black Leather | Boss302 Steering Wheel | Stack Racing Chrome Tower Brace | GrabberPony Custom Shift Knob | Rear Black Out Panel | Auto Headlights | 15% Tint All Around |
PONY Member

This has got to one of the more idiotic threads I can recall recently. This thread is the equivalent of me getting 3.73, tune, exhaust, CAI........and then griping @ FOMOCO because they didn't put 285 rubber on the back so it will hook up. IF you wanna play, you gotta pay. The fundamental difference that all of the whiners are missing......is ignorance by owner, and ignorance by ford. Point being.... the car has the gear/limiter for a good reason.

1. The stock shaft is completely fine within the limits (speed limiter, gearing) of a stock car, aside from a handfull of unsubstantiated fluke incidents.

2. Ford is in no way obligated, nor do I expect them to put a DS in the car that will withstand 3.55/3.73/4.10 gears, or any tomfoolery on the dyno or otherwise with the limiter removed.

End of thread.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

That's the main reason I got the auto. Just in case I ever found out after buying the car that there are potential MT or DS issues.

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
That's the main reason I got the auto. Just in case I ever found out after buying the car that there are potential MT or DS issues.
Well, you may have avoided the MT82 issue, but now you have another issue entirely... the fact that it's AUTO! heh, j/k!!

post #103 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Kurtz View Post
lol, This has been a rather funny and interesting thread.

Sorry but the whole " ford offers gears, so therefore they should acknowledge a problem with stock DS" is a completely stupid and ludicrous argument.

That would be like a 5.0 member on here Trying to get ford to acknowledge a integrity problem with the 5.0 engine, because he bought a ford racing supercharger, but because he wasn't smart enough to get forged internals, he blew the engine and now wants ford to acknowledge a problem and do something about it.

I think it is evident at this point our stock DS are not that strong. They could be ALOT stronger. Look at the companies that are now making replacement DS's. But............

if it was an unbelievable and unfortunate flaw in the DS design they would be poping left and right like teenies on prom night. And im sorry, but I have no tune, just AB's, and I drive my mustang well...... like it should be driven.

If it pops tomorrow ill say sh!t, and get ford to cover it, to get my DD back on the road ASAP, all while ordering a better one ASAP and puttin it on myself. These things are complex machines. Things break. If someone doesnt understand this about cars, especially sports cars, then you need to start riding a huffy to work everyday.

Also this is an online forum. You dont come on here if you hate mustangs, hate sports cars, hate modding, hate driving fast, or at least driving fast up too the speed limit (lol :hihi etc. I personally dont care if 5-6 people claim there were "driving normal" when the stock DS broke, as for all you know they could have been raggin the car out all week, and the one time they do drive normal, BOOM. For all you know they could be a fat chick named Pam, who really owns a Camaro, and loves toaster strudels. Lol,... this is a forum..... there is no such thing as credentials here.

So in summury, could the stock DS be better: OF COURSE!
Should everyone on here eventually get one: OF COURSE!
Is it a horrible design flaw: NO.

Because if it was... every single friggin' member in this sub-forum would have poped one by now... not just 5-6 "completely stock" drivers, plus more that actually admitted tunes and some race-inspired driving habits.

/ End thread.
Complex?What's so complex about a 2011 Mustang?Because it has VVT?Honda used in 1983 in their motor cycles and in 1989 in the DOCH b18 engines.Whats else is complex the electronic power steering?Honda has been using that since 2000.Maybe it's the 6 speed automatic transmission.I've worked on the Lexus IS F 8 speed automatic trans.It's just a car with a under engineered driveshaft that can break with less than a 30% HP or RPM increase.Just don't under inflate your tires you might have a roll over.

You don't need forged internals because you are now FI.I've installed many FI and nitrous applications and doubled or even tripled the factory output without going forged and with the proper tune the engines lived a long life.

2011 V6 wife's car 3.31's
2012 GT 3.73's
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geardriven View Post
Complex?What's so complex about a 2011 Mustang?Because it has VVT?Honda used in 1983 in their motor cycles and in 1989 in the DOCH b18 engines.Whats else is complex the electronic power steering?Honda has been using that since 2000.Maybe it's the 6 speed automatic transmission.I've worked on the Lexus IS F 8 speed automatic trans.It's just a car with a under engineered driveshaft that can break with less than a 30% HP or RPM increase.Just don't under inflate your tires you might have a roll over.
You are missing the point on literally everything I posted.
I dont give a rats ass who started what and what automobile company invented this or that. Nor do I care about your qualifications or your knowledge of general automobiles. ALL automobiles,........ ALL AUTOMOBILES are complex machines. It was a general statement. When you take any machine with hundreds of moving parts and abuse it, parts break or overtime become worn.

Quote:
You don't need forged internals because you are now FI.I've installed many FI and nitrous applications and doubled or even tripled the factory output without going forged and with the proper tune the engines lived a long life.
Once again I couldnt care less about "your" credentials putting FI or nitrious applications on various automobiles. Once again you missed the entire point of that specific example. And if you choose not to go forged internals on FI or nitrous application, once again good for you.
Maybe you should give Shelby a call and tell them to not use forged internals on their motors anymore since you have the qualifications and experience to enlighten them.
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Complex?What's so complex about a 2011 Mustang? Because it has VVT? Honda used in 1983 in their motor cycles and in 1989 in the DOCH b18 engines. Whats else is complex the electronic power steering? Honda has been using that since 2000. Maybe it's the 6 speed automatic transmission. I've worked on the Lexus IS F 8 speed automatic trans. It's just a car with a under engineered driveshaft that can break with less than a 30% HP or RPM increase. Just don't under inflate your tires you might have a roll over.

You don't need forged internals because you are now FI. I've installed many FI and nitrous applications and doubled or even tripled the factory output without going forged and with the proper tune the engines lived a long life.
Just how many $40,000+ cars are you going to compare to the $22,000 3.7L Mustang? The IS F (around 2009 iirc) was a $60,000 flagship of the IS platform. You do realize that kind of puts it in more direct competition with the $45,000 GT500 of that year, right?

For the 3.7L (base) Mustang versus the IS 250 (base), you are getting 50% more horsepower (305 vs 205) for nearly 33% less money ($22k vs $30k). If you add 33% more horsepower onto the 250's base power, you only end up with 273 HP at the crank - no wonder it's driveshaft can handle that increase --- it's still not even as much as the OEM 3.7L Mustangs'. Go ahead and bring up the $40,000 IS 350. Let me just prepare a specs rip of the Boss 302, in advance. Or the GT Premium.

Even disregarding cost, in favor of the IS due to importation costs, this mean Ford's poorly engineered driveshaft can handle the IS 250's output just fine, and even after being modded for a 50% power boost --- That means Ford's poor engineering can manage all of Toyota's over-engineering...?
By your broken logic, that also means Toyota apparently under-engineers their engines. Not even going to let you rant on the idea I mean this implication. No, I know better. I also know the Lexus brand is a luxury brand, but it's not like the IS platform has any lower cost equivalent.

The two-of-three rule of automobiles: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick two. People made that choice when they bought the 3.7L, the problem is that some people think they get all three if they cry louder than all the other kids.

You are a knowledgeable mechanic, I can appreciate that, I assure you. You don't understand engineering, though. The (unfortunately) most important aspect of engineering is cost. If you're serious about all the things you've been posting here, you're going to want to re-read what a lot of people have been writing here. For all your spitting facts out, you might just take away something to reflect on.

The stock DS on the 3.7L is unimpressive. Nothing new. Spend a few bills and get an aftermarket part, or get a different car. It's not that hard, and it didn't require another thread. People have been playing this game for decades. And no, Ford doesn't owe on it. They're selling a car for a fraction of what 300 stock HP cost 10 years ago.

Also, the Firestone rollovers were caused by idiots over-inflating their tires. This was caused by the inexperienced and knowledgable-but-wrong (looking right at you, when I say this) impression that the tires weren't supposed to sag the way they did, the way they were supposed to. And because of said idiots, we all now have to pay extra for sensors, calibrators/shop time, and the consideration for TPMS, when we buy wheels/tires.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page