When Is Ford Going To Step Up - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
 
Katastrophe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 810
 
Don't mean to come in the middle of this...but we know the driveline is garbage. There is no grey-area. We also know in this age of cost-cutting BS that the driveshaft is a POS. Clearly Ford is aware of the problem...but it comes down to $$$. It would cost millions to recall something like that.

I'm not on an anti-Ford rant or anything because for the most part, they build solid autos. I love my Mustang. My MT82 isn't the prettiest girl on the block, but she puts out when I want her to.

I'm just simply tossing my 0.02 in here by saying the driveline is a weak point on these cars. Even 100% stock ones have problems (DS, transmission, etc). Hence...as others have stated, if you're going to mod your car, make sure you have the cash to back you up in the event something explodes.


2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
Katastrophe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
JeffOden
Guest
 
JeffOden's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclypse3demons View Post
Sorry not buying it, videos of these bone stock never abused mustangs cruising at normal speed or it didn't happen.
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You're telling me you set up a video camera in your car every time you slowly cruise to church on Sunday, or drive the groceries home from the store. So therefore it never happened. I do know that ford downloaded the ECMs before they replaced all those drive lines, and in the one other case completly totaled the guys car due to the driveshaft blowing up. And ford's diagnosis of unabused cars, with stock speed limiters is good enough to convence me.

eclypse3demons
Guest
 
eclypse3demons's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOden View Post
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You're telling me you set up a video camera in your car every time you slowly cruise to church on Sunday, or drive the groceries home from the store. So therefore it never happened. I do know that ford downloaded the ECMs before they replaced all those drive lines, and in the one other case completly totaled the guys car due to the driveshaft blowing up. And ford's diagnosis of unabused cars, with stock speed limiters is good enough to convence me.

No I am saying that while I believe its possible for there to be defective auto parts, that the numbers stated are far lower than some of these forum members are portraying the issue to be, and out of that number that is reported that not all of them are telling the truth on the treatment of the vehicle, or what they were doing when the shaft failed.

None of us know the true number of shaft failures or of what % of those are honestly just a failure or an abused failure, even if there were 700 failures (rough number) which is like 1% of the total Mustangs sold in 2011 and not knowing how many are V6 models of that number, its not a rampant defect. The problem is not the failures that are valid claims its the ones that screw up the numbers due to abuse of the vehicle and routinely taking it over the RPM limits of the shaft. I complete agree the shaft should be able to support higher loads than we can put on it stock, but I just cannot believe every failure that is claimed to be normal use is completely true, you can agree to disagree with me that's your right but do not call my views dumb because you don't agree with it. I think my point is valid.
 
eclypse3demons
Guest
 
eclypse3demons's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
Don't mean to come in the middle of this...but we know the driveline is garbage. There is no grey-area. We also know in this age of cost-cutting BS that the driveshaft is a POS. Clearly Ford is aware of the problem...but it comes down to $$$. It would cost millions to recall something like that.

I'm not on an anti-Ford rant or anything because for the most part, they build solid autos. I love my Mustang. My MT82 isn't the prettiest girl on the block, but she puts out when I want her to.

I'm just simply tossing my 0.02 in here by saying the driveline is a weak point on these cars. Even 100% stock ones have problems (DS, transmission, etc). Hence...as others have stated, if you're going to mod your car, make sure you have the cash to back you up in the event something explodes.
I am not arguing the issue of the drive shaft being underrated, out of all my 70's cars I have owned (5 of them cougars from 70-73) never did I have a DS blow up stock. Granted they were huge hunks of steel =)
JeffOden
Guest
 
JeffOden's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
By far the dumbest thing is how long this thread has drug on and on...
I've been lied to many times on every continent, so I take most everything I hear with a grain of salt. But when people post that ford is replacing their DS, or their entire car, that's just a silly thing to lie about. Why not just say it blew up and I'm buying a 1 piece aluminum shaft now?
The statement I explained as being dumb was,
"Sorry not buying it, videos of these bone stock never abused mustangs cruising at normal speed or it didn't happen."
As I said before, that makes no sense.
I think if this thread gets 5 more post then the OP gets a free set of steak knives, sadly he's probably in luck.
eclypse3demons
Guest
 
eclypse3demons's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOden View Post
By far the dumbest thing is how long this thread has drug on and on...
I've been lied to many times on every continent, so I take most everything I hear with a grain of salt. But when people post that ford is replacing their DS, or their entire car, that's just a silly thing to lie about. Why not just say it blew up and I'm buying a 1 piece aluminum shaft now?
The statement I explained as being dumb was,
"Sorry not buying it, videos of these bone stock never abused mustangs cruising at normal speed or it didn't happen."
As I said before, that makes no sense.
I think if this thread gets 5 more post then the OP gets a free set of steak knives, sadly he's probably in luck.
I thought this was the rant thread? no? bump for free steak knives
post #127 of 133 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
geardriven's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: lake county
Posts: 90
 
I guess will have to wait and see what happens when these cars become about 5 years old.

2011 V6 wife's car 3.31's
2012 GT 3.73's
geardriven is offline  
Apprentice
 
mlud00's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Scranton
Posts: 178
 
Just a question related to the driveshaft on the V6. My 2012 makes a very slight clunk when I come to a stop and the auto trans downshifts to first, especially pointing uphill. Is this normal or is it from excessive play in the U-joint? Is this any kind of precursor to something failing in the future?

Last edited by mlud00; 09-08-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling
mlud00 is offline  
Banned
 
McCarthy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 182
 
^ Mine does the exact same thing.
McCarthy is offline  
PONY Member
 
Liv4spd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Rockville
Posts: 339
 
I think the whole DS issue is a hoax. The Youtube videos were created as a commercial to scare people into thinking that the stock DS will fail. If you haven't seen the videos, I recommend you to watch them. The two guys look so prepared and sure that their DS will fail, that they carry a camcorder on their shoulder to wait for that moment.

Honestly, which one in this forum (or knows a friend) has a failed stock DS? I understand that the old GT drive shaft has a very thin part in the middle with a center bearing. That part is prone to fail for sure. But for my 2014 V6, I can not tell the difference between a stock DS and the aftermarket ones except for the fact that the stock one has the sliding yoke in the middle, and the aftermarket one has it at one end.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Liv4spd is offline  
Banned
 
Grabber2012's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Westford
Posts: 1,345
 
The videos sure did sell a few driveshafts, didn't they!
Grabber2012 is offline  
PONY Member
 
Plumbago's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 562
 
This whole thread re-hash is a waste of time !
Plumbago is offline  
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
kenv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Levittown
Posts: 13,139
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbago View Post
This whole thread re-hash is a waste of time !
I agree. This thread has run it course a long time ago. I`ll leave it up for awhile longer just for the entertainment value, not for posting.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
kenv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1