2012 Mustang V6 Driveline Vibration when letting off gas - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
 
ehc0720's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach
Posts: 50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhance View Post
Any ideas of what it could be? I've searched high and low and I'm convinced it must be inside of something.
Sounds like it is coming from inside the drivers door, I'll ask the dealer to check it out when it goes in for it's first service.


2014, V6, manual, Gray, Perf Pkg, Prem Pkg, Borla exhaust, BBK TB, Steeda CAI, Bama Tune.
ehc0720 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Apprentice
 
spacechalklate's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Davie
Posts: 90
 
This almost basically describes my situation PERFECTLY.

Except when I googled it, I searched as, "gear grind" because it sounded and felt like the gears were grinding. I read horror stories and became increasingly concerned... until I saw some youtube videos with sound clips. They had a lot more rattle, and sounded terrifying. Then I came to the conclusion that my situation wasn't "gear grind," and over time hasn't really returned.

Can you confirm that the "driveline vibration" has more of a bass-like sound and feel to it? That's what it sounds like to me, at least.

I used to get it a lot more often earlier on, and I thought I did something to break the car (since I basically taught myself how to drive stick on this car).

But with how I drive it now, I can almost entirely avoid the problem altogether (as you guys said, it is pretty much reproducible).

For me in particular, the 3rd gear at 2.5-3k RPM


2013 V6, Performance White, MCA, Glass Roof, Leather Recaro Seats, Rear Camera
Ordered: 8/6 Sticker: 8/25 Build: 9/13 ETA1: 9/23 ETA2: 10/2 ETA 3: 10/13 Picked Up: 10/11 :kooky:
Viper 5704 Alarm System (with Remote Start), Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror (with Display, Homelink, & Compass), Quick-Drain Oil Change Valve, Black JLT Oil Separator, Black MMD Hood Struts, LED License Plate Light Conversion, 3rd Brake Light Pulser

Last edited by spacechalklate; 06-21-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Update with more info
spacechalklate is offline  
Apprentice
 
johnrhance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 115
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacechalklate View Post
This almost basically describes my situation PERFECTLY.

Except when I googled it, I searched as, "gear grind" because it sounded and felt like the gears were grinding. I read horror stories and became increasingly concerned... until I saw some youtube videos with sound clips. They had a lot more rattle, and sounded terrifying. Then I came to the conclusion that my situation wasn't "gear grind," and over time hasn't really returned.

Can you confirm that the "driveline vibration" has more of a bass-like sound and feel to it? That's what it sounds like to me, at least.

I used to get it a lot more often earlier on, and I thought I did something to break the car (since I basically taught myself how to drive stick on this car).

But with how I drive it now, I can almost entirely avoid the problem altogether (as you guys said, it is pretty much reproducible).

For me in particular, the 3rd gear at 2.5-3k RPM
That's a pretty perfect description of the issue. It's more of a bassy sound that happens primarily in 2nd and 3rd right around 2500rpm. It doesn't really bother me and I'm not going to worry about it, but I'll probably bring it up to the tech whenever I decide to bring it into the dealer.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
johnrhance is offline  
 
FordService
Guest
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacechalklate View Post
This almost basically describes my situation PERFECTLY.

Except when I googled it, I searched as, "gear grind" because it sounded and felt like the gears were grinding. I read horror stories and became increasingly concerned... until I saw some youtube videos with sound clips. They had a lot more rattle, and sounded terrifying. Then I came to the conclusion that my situation wasn't "gear grind," and over time hasn't really returned.

Can you confirm that the "driveline vibration" has more of a bass-like sound and feel to it? That's what it sounds like to me, at least.

I used to get it a lot more often earlier on, and I thought I did something to break the car (since I basically taught myself how to drive stick on this car).

But with how I drive it now, I can almost entirely avoid the problem altogether (as you guys said, it is pretty much reproducible).

For me in particular, the 3rd gear at 2.5-3k RPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhance View Post
That's a pretty perfect description of the issue. It's more of a bassy sound that happens primarily in 2nd and 3rd right around 2500rpm. It doesn't really bother me and I'm not going to worry about it, but I'll probably bring it up to the tech whenever I decide to bring it into the dealer.
Hey guys,

I recommend both of you make an appointment with your dealers to get them checked out. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager of your areas.

Deysha
Rookie
 
gesean's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 5
 
Why would you buy a ford?

Well, they finally got close to getting the wheel balance issue fixed. Had all four of the rims included in my performance package replaced because the clear-coat was d-laminating. Seems after they put the new rims on the balance issue disappeared. Interesting because prior to the d-lamination issue they insisted the wheels were true....

The vibration between 2500 and 3000 rpm still persists. A ford engineer drove may car and gave me the "this is normal" BS. I took the car to another dealer, the problem was readily available to the tech and they escalated the issue up to Ford. Ford told them not to perform any attempts to repair the car and referenced a service or technical bulletin that stated some 2011-2013 Mustangs with V6 and manual transmission may exhibit this trait. I spoke with the manager told him I had averaged a new car every 2-3 years and asked him why I would ever, ever, ever step on a ford car lot again let alone purchase another vehicle from ford. I'm pretty much their prime demographic, 51 years old with a decent income. Unbelievable...They know the car has a problem and refuse to fix it!!! I'm not sure if that is driven by arrogance or stupidity, but that's pretty much the bottom of the barrel. Interestingly, the dealer was also extremely put off with fords response and gave me copies of the escalation paperwork, fords response and a copy of the bulletin... Luckily, California has some pretty strict lemon laws which I am vigorously perusing
gesean is offline  
MACH I Member
 
PW_Pony's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Mount Vernon
Posts: 2,819
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesean View Post
Well, they finally got close to getting the wheel balance issue fixed. Had all four of the rims included in my performance package replaced because the clear-coat was d-laminating. Seems after they put the new rims on the balance issue disappeared. Interesting because prior to the d-lamination issue they insisted the wheels were true....

The vibration between 2500 and 3000 rpm still persists. A ford engineer drove may car and gave me the "this is normal" BS. I took the car to another dealer, the problem was readily available to the tech and they escalated the issue up to Ford. Ford told them not to perform any attempts to repair the car and referenced a service or technical bulletin that stated some 2011-2013 Mustangs with V6 and manual transmission may exhibit this trait. I spoke with the manager told him I had averaged a new car every 2-3 years and asked him why I would ever, ever, ever step on a ford car lot again let alone purchase another vehicle from ford. I'm pretty much their prime demographic, 51 years old with a decent income. Unbelievable...They know the car has a problem and refuse to fix it!!! I'm not sure if that is driven by arrogance or stupidity, but that's pretty much the bottom of the barrel. Interestingly, the dealer was also extremely put off with fords response and gave me copies of the escalation paperwork, fords response and a copy of the bulletin... Luckily, California has some pretty strict lemon laws which I am vigorously perusing
Every manual 12+ I've seen has this trait. So good luck with the lemon law thing since pretty much all manual 12+ are going to have the 2.5-3k vibration. Learn to live with it, replace the dual-mass flywheel with a single mass, or trade your car on an auto or something else. Pretty much going to be your only options, lemon law will just be a waste of time with the vibration issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
PW_Pony is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1