3.7L V6 ping on hard acceleration - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
V6 Member

Have you thought about installing an oil catch can on your car? You probably have oil being sucked in from the valve cover being recirculated into the upper intake manifold which is killing your fuel quality, which is causing the pinging. I remember this was an issue on the 99 - 04 3.8's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Thanks man, I think this is the same sound that i was hearing with my v6 2012. It was right at gear changes and was pretty constant. I took it in today and they said they couldn't hear it, but someone in my thread pointed me here and I am glad they did! This is my first car and that noise was bothering me just a bit, but I am glad its not 'knocking' or detonation and the engine isn't slowly pitting itself.

Awesome work, I am really happy hearing this!

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxified View Post
If it's truly pinging or knocking and you're actually able to hear it then I doubt bad gas or environmental factors are the issue.

So bottom line is this. If you're hearing a real knock then your car is not picking it up and making the appropriate adjustments to correct the issue. That would mean there is another issue with the ECU or knock sensor which would need to be addressed at the dealer. It seems like a faulty sensor would generate some sort of code. Take it to the dealer and have them drive it to see if they think it's really knocking. That or test drive another car and see if it does the same thing. These engines are exactly quiet under WOT when it get above 4k rpms. They're pretty loud.
Old thread, but I got to searching about foam insulation around knock sensors. My '13 has a foam insulation under the lower intake that pretty much fills the whole knock sensor valley and the pics I'd seen of Z28th1s's manifold swap...didn't have anything there. You could see his knock sensor valley in the pic. MAYBE it's there for simply cancelling out some engine noise but maybe it also has a dual role of isolating the knock sensors better to detect knock?? Just putting that out there. I've seen on other platform forums that a few people were saying this. I don't know if it's correct or not but it seems it might isolate ambient noise to an extent so the knock sensors could detect the knock frequencies transmitted through the block better. Sound like a possibility?

Anyone else have the foam under their lower intake? I might need to start a new thread.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Old thread, but I got to searching about foam insulation around knock sensors. My '13 has a foam insulation under the lower intake that pretty much fills the whole knock sensor valley and the pics I'd seen of Z28th1s's manifold swap...didn't have anything there. You could see his knock sensor valley in the pic. MAYBE it's there for simply cancelling out some engine noise but maybe it also has a dual role of isolating the knock sensors better to detect knock?? Just putting that out there. I've seen on other platform forums that a few people were saying this. I don't know if it's correct or not but it seems it might isolate ambient noise to an extent so the knock sensors could detect the knock frequencies transmitted through the block better. Sound like a possibility?

Anyone else have the foam under their lower intake? I might need to start a new thread.
I have the foam 'insulator'... I was told by a Ford Tech at my local dealership that it was placed there to limit noise from the injectors.

2011 3.7L B/B Pony Package:
3D Carbon Wing
Roush Side Splitters and Louvers
OEM GT500 Rear Valance
OEM Pony Decklid
Stillen Chin Spoiler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Chaser View Post
I have the foam 'insulator'... I was told by a Ford Tech at my local dealership that it was placed there to limit noise from the injectors.
Hmm...maybe so.

Curious...is your car an auto or a manual trans?
Rookie

Quote:
Hmm...maybe so.

Curious...is your car an auto or a manual trans?
It's an auto.........

3D Carbon Wing
OEM GT500 Rear Valance
OEM Pony Decklid
Stillen Chin Spoiler
Banned

Quote:
It's an auto.........
Hmm, on another forum the 2011 guys that have responded have been manuals and they said no foam. I "think" both of those guys are base models. Is yours a base model? Maybe it's just an auto thing, for some reason or possibly a base/premium model thing for noise?
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I cannot hear your engine to tell whether or not you are experiencing actual "ping" spark knock. But if it is indeed "ping" it has the potential to cause some major damage.
If you are unsure, don't push the engine. My V6 makes no out of the ordinary noises other than normal sounds that engines make. Keep us posted, and and if you have a gut feeling that something isn't right, don't get on it , till you find out for sure it isn't spark knock.
My post may be frivolous, but better safe , than sorry.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Rookie

Quote:
Hmm, on another forum the 2011 guys that have responded have been manuals and they said no foam. I "think" both of those guys are base models. Is yours a base model? Maybe it's just an auto thing, for some reason or possibly a base/premium model thing for noise?
It's the premium package.

3D Carbon Wing
OEM GT500 Rear Valance
OEM Pony Decklid
Stillen Chin Spoiler
PONY Member

I have a 2012 V6 MT. I was concerned about pinging or metallic type noises when I shift around 4k RPMS or higher. I have no resonators on mine, so exhaust is somewhat loud It almost sounds like a TON of clutch chatter, but only happens in higher rpms. After revving it high in neutral, it's just some tin/metallic type noise resonating from the exhaust. (@ 27k the exhaust note is different, which is expected) If it's under warranty and stock taker on in. I'd check the basics first though, such as air filter, clean MAF, fresh gas, and PCM reset to see if it resolves the issue.
Banned

Quote:
It's the premium package.
Ok. So we have it down to auto and possibly premium. Surely they wouldn't have a different row of engines to pull from on the assy line for premiums so I'm thinking it's more likely an automatic thing...for some reason. That's odd.
PONY Member

Actually mine does it too! Premium V6 2011 manual ... Has done it from day one, and I'm assuming it is the injectors. Does it tuned, stock , on premium gas, or on low octane gas, and always/only in the upper RPM range, when getting on it. Sometimes I can hear it at cruising speed in [email protected]

2011 "Cyclone" V6 Premium MT82 6sp "Michelle"
Factory 3.31 Ratio - 35% Tint- Bama 93 Hybrid Tune - FRPP Sport Exhaust - BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers- Air Raid CAI- TSW Nurburgring 19X8.5- Sumitomo HTR Z III 245/45-19
[email protected], Best Trap speed 103.50 before
[email protected], Best Trap speed 103.52 after headers
PONY Member

Mine is a 2011 Preminum, Pony Package, Automatic transmission. I have the 'foam' and have never heard any kind of ping sounds coming from my engine.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.fixated View Post
UPDATE:

The pinging, knocking, or rattle I am getting on moderate to hard acceleration.

Had it to the dealer, and they were not only really nice about it, but when they could not "verify it themselves" they had me take a tech around in it. He could *hear* it, and agreed it was very quiet, but he felt it was just normal operating noise. So then they let me take him around in a comperable V6 AT 2013 they had on the new lot. And there it was - the 2013 made the exact same noise at the same times. But the 2013 was even louder! I said "I will keep my 2012, thanks!"

To jump to the conclusion... it turns out it is an exhaust resonance vibration that occurs in the forward exhaust in all 2011-2013 V6's. And I am just being too sensitive to car noises. :nogrinner Normal operating sound. Just that I have had over 20 cars older than me, and I have learned to listen to noises the car makes. Now i just have to get used to it.. or do an exhaust change. LOL

Hope that helps others that do a forum search! Thanks all, it was an interesting discussion.

I had the same issue, it was more pronounced when I put on an off road X. There also always is a little bit of pinging noise it often varies based on the quality of gas. I stick with sunoco gas in my area, otherwise I use mobil and 93octane only due to my tunes.
Rookie

I have this problem but only when the engine is warm and its under light load or light acceleration..... Dealer says its normal..... Car has only ever run premium...18000K on it.. it sounds like loud worn out piston rings :S

Mustangs... I have had many... probably will have many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page